DP 7 Officially Announced!!!!

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Matcher
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP 7 Officially Announced!!!!

Post by Matcher »

I'm impressed :)

For me, as a guitarist, the amp, stomp boxes, cabinet and room simulation are a very cool thing. reey'ew probably not the best there are, but they should be usable and unique, which is relevant to me. You won't get too far with modulations anyway. And-- the demo songs had some real- life playing in them! Nice shreddy lines, not some mullet sporting miami vice riffs from a Tony Little training video! Respect for that MOTU 8)

I also like the inline EQ and dynamics. My only concern here is CPU- efficiency.

Range automation-- yes! This was one of my feature requests a time ago. Should be a time and probably a CPU- saver.

Sidebar cells-- very cool, should be a nice workflow enhancer.

Real- time crossfades-- Nice! This has been a long time request by many, and one of DP's weaknesses, at least for me. Many of my crashes were related to crossfades.

Many of my concerns with DP have been related to some small shortcomings or some non-thoroughly thinked features, so this gets me particularily interested:

Digital Performer 7 offers new features, enhanced operation and improved performance at all levels, from hundreds of small enhancements driven by user requests to major new features and plug-ins that add unprecedented value.

So, thanks MOTU and congratulations for coming up with a competitive product.
MBP i7, OSX 10.7.4
melenko
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by melenko »

Well! I hope DP7 is more stable.
What about the GUI!!!
Nothing is changed!
MacPro 2.66 - 8Go ram-10.6.2 /DP7.2/URS plugs/Kontakt4/PlugsoundPro/StylusRMX/EZDrummer/Superior/Altiverb/Ozone4/Sonnox/etc...Neve 8801/RME ffce 800
BobK

Post by BobK »

I studied the MOTU site, read the posts, pondered a bit, and decided that after the problems I had with the early releases of DP 6, I'd wait a while before ordering DP 7.

Then I went ahead and ordered it!

I tend to agree it feels more like a 6.5 than a 7.0, but that's just a name. I particularly welcome the new mixing features - Info bar mixing controls, Channel Strip window which can be in a sidebar or float, in-line EQ and dynamics plugs, real-time fades, and even the amp sims and FX and the resizable Control Panel. (It even looks like the track info panel in the SE might be a little darker shade of gray than before, which I'd welcome.)
Bob

M1 Max Mac Studio - 64 GB RAM - macOS 14.5
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB RAM - macOS 14.4 via Open Core Legacy Patcher
DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
zed

Post by zed »

Shooshie wrote:You have to admit, this looks very nice. Notice not only the channel strip to the left, but also the Info Bar Mixing Controls right above the tracks in the Sequence Editor. Now THAT'S handy!
I do have to admit that this does look enticing and will definitely improve workflow and efficiency. For this improvement alone it will be difficult to resist making the upgrade.

But I am having a hard time feeling good about the $195. I was one of the first to order the DP6 upgrade and ready to support MOTU without question. But after having problems with it I went back to 5.11 until I got my Intel Mac and then finally installed 6.02 again about a month ago. So I have only gotten about 1 month's usage out of DP6.

I'm not making the same mistake again this time. I will resist ordering this upgrade for a while no matter how good the reports are. I will, however, be purchasing and installing Snow Leopard to see how much more juice I can squeeze out of DP6.02.
MacPro 2.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon | 14 GB RAM | OS 10.11.6 | DP 8
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

BobK wrote:I studied the MOTU site, read the posts, pondered a bit, and decided that after the problems I had with the early releases of DP 6, I'd wait a while before ordering DP 7.

Then I went ahead and ordered it!
LOL! We just can't resist. Two days ago I was sure I was switching to some other DAW, maybe even a new platform. But after seeing the eye candy, it's like an old girlfriend. You just can't help yourself!

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I couldn't get through fast enough to order by phone, so I ordered by website. Then they finally called back. "Too late," I said, "I already ordered it on the web, but could you tell me when it ships?"

... drum roll, please...

Within 2 days! (business days, I assume) That means at the latest with 2-day delivery I'll have it by Thursday. I've got a week to get some things done before trying to break DP7. ;)

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MIDI Life Crisis

Shooshie wrote:I couldn't get through fast enough to order by phone, so I ordered by website. Then they finally called back. "Too late," I said, "I already ordered it on the web, but could you tell me when it ships?"

... drum roll, please...

Within 2 days! (business days, I assume) That means at the latest with 2-day delivery I'll have it by Thursday. I've got a week to get some things done before trying to break DP7. ;)

Shooshie
You need to calm down! :) LIke I'm one to talk!!!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
beautypill

Post by beautypill »

I've never had any significant problems with DP6. It does crash often, but I have always considered that my reckless way of working --- never thinking about healthy/prudent strategies with regards to overloading the processor, etc. I work primarily mobile and on a MacBook Pro.

I don't fault MOTU for my problems, generally. I know it's user error.

That being said, I'm kinda stunned that the price is $200 for recent purchasers of DP6. But as I've said before, there are greater tragedies in this world than the goings-on in the world of music software.

I'm gonna order DP7, upgrade to Snow Leopard, and not think too much about it afterwards.

- c
billf

Post by billf »

beautypill wrote:I'm kinda stunned that the price is $200 for recent purchasers of DP6.
That depends on how recent. Here's info from an earlier post by sourgrapes:
by sourgrapes » 11 Sep 2009 10:25 am

FYI

i just got off the phone with a motu customer rep

anyone who purchased dp 6 after 6/1/09 is eligible for a free upgrade to 7!

will ship to me sometime next week!

great news for me and i'm guessing many others!

thanks guys for the advice, and thanks to motu!
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
MIDI Life Crisis

beautypill wrote:...I'm kinda stunned that the price is $200 for recent purchasers of DP6.
ON one level, I am as well, but I make a good portion of my living from that set of ones and zeros and in relation to that, it's a pittance. Think of it as a license. Oh wait, it is a license!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Patricio

Post by Patricio »

Quickscribe, a real improvement, its great.
I really like all the modelling stuff , will save us guitarplayers alot of cash.
I'm excited, only will it run on my G5 dual 2.0 with Leopard 10.5.8 , fingers crossed !!!
tripit@earthlink.net

Post by tripit@earthlink.net »

Woo hoo! DAE has been addressed in DP7! Full support for DAE 8 and more. I can finally move to Leopard now.

I don't see what all the bitching is about. Call what you want, it's an upgrade and it's about on the same time schedule as they always follow. I have DP6 and have never used it other than to test it a few times - so what. Bring on the new update so we can move on, I don't care what they call it and I don't mind paying for it.

And I'm pretty sure that MOTU addressed many of the issues that were in DP6.
rentadrummer

Post by rentadrummer »

Todzilla wrote:Three comments:

1) I wish MOTU would make system compatibility requirements easier to find. I finally gave up, but presumed the marketing hype of Leo/SL meant no Tiger support.
What are the system requirements for Digital Performer 7?
This tech note lists the system requirements for Digital Performer 7.

The minimum system requirements for Digital Performer 7 are as follows:

Mac OS X v10.4.7 or later (including Mac OS X v10.6)
PowerPC G4 1 GHz or faster CPU (including PPC G5 CPUs and all Intel processor Macs)
1 GB RAM
1024 x 768 display resolution
CD-ROM drive for installation and authorization

We recommend a system with the following components:

multi-processor or multi-core PowerMac G5 or Intel processor Mac
2 GB RAM or more
1280 x 1024 or larger display resolution

To use Digital Performer 7 under DAE mode, Pro Tools 7.2 or later is required. Pro Tools 7.4 or later is recommended. As new versions of Pro Tools are released, please check http://www.motu.com for DP DAE mode compatibility information.
Ron
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

So, has anyone heard anything about a release of 7.1? Kidding...just kidding!!

Seriously, I was just saying the other day that the Snow Leopard/DP 6.02 combination was the most stable I've had in a long time. I think I'm gonna wait for te reports to come in on 7 before I jump on the band wagon.

Phil
DP 11.32, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.5/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Armageddon

Post by Armageddon »

beautypill wrote:That being said, I'm kinda stunned that the price is $200 for recent purchasers of DP6. But as I've said before, there are greater tragedies in this world than the goings-on in the world of music software.
I can't help but feel that, considering how short a time 6 has been out and what was done with it, registered DP 6 users should get a bit of a break on the upgrade. Might make the pill a little easier to swallow. Did any other version of DP only ever get two minor updates before being mothballed? I'll give them props for giving it away free to anybody who bought 6 after June 1st, however.
Mid- 2012 MacBook Pro Quad-core i7 2.7 GHz/16 GB RAM/2 TB SSD (primary)/1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (secondary) • OS X 10.14.6 • DP 11.1 • Pro Tools 12.8.1 • Acoustica Pro 7.4.0 • Avid MBox Pro 3G • Korg K61 • IMDb Page