NAMM 2015: DP9

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
spitfire31
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: NAMM 2015: DP9

Post by spitfire31 »

I had the radical idea of posting a MOTU support ticket and ask about the DP9 Mac OS prerequisites.

10 minutes later (yes, MINUTES), Robin replied:

"Thanks for writing. DP9 will have the same system requirements as DP8. DP8 is currently compatible with 10.6.8 - 10.10.3."

Way to go, MOTU!

Kind regards,

Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it.
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

Thanks for that info, Joachim.
DP 10.13, OS 13.6.7, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

I quite like mavericks, but It's impressive to hear that they are still supporting back to 10.6.8

That is really useful to a lot of people!
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

+1 for 10.6.8

Best

Klaus
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

Thanks Joachim.
amplidood

Post by amplidood »

I left Snow Leopard kicking and screaming, but I am happy to have iCloud integration with my phone. Other than that, Mavericks feels exactly the same to me.
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

amplidood wrote:I left Snow Leopard kicking and screaming, but I am happy to have iCloud integration with my phone. Other than that, Mavericks feels exactly the same to me.
How are you getting on with the gui? I found it one of the ugliest ones out there when I had it on my daw machine.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

spitfire31 wrote:I had the radical idea of posting a MOTU support ticket and ask about the DP9 Mac OS prerequisites.
I know, right? :lol: Many times I suggest to people who post here, "Have you tried just asking MOTU directly?" :lol: Amazing sometimes that works, right? :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.32, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Yeah, who'd have thunk it.

Glad to see MOTU's maintaining its habit of reaching as far back as it can. For me, it's a simple matter of scratchin' my butt, however in MOTU's case, it's a whole lot more complicated than that.

I mentioned this pattern of great legacy support by MOTU to someone just the other day. Don't think he believed me. His loss is the pharmacist's gain; he'll probably end up with Poo Stools now.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

monkey man wrote:I mentioned this pattern of great legacy support by MOTU to someone just the other day. Don't think he believed me. His loss is the pharmacist's gain; he'll probably end up with Poo Stools now.
With the new subscription model, it'll cost him 30 bucks a month in order to be able to Poo.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Tritonemusic wrote:
monkey man wrote:I mentioned this pattern of great legacy support by MOTU to someone just the other day. Don't think he believed me. His loss is the pharmacist's gain; he'll probably end up with Poo Stools now.
With the new subscription model, it'll cost him 30 bucks a month in order to be able to Poo.
With Monkey's expert diagnostic services provided above, it will be covered under medical insurance.
2018 Mini i7 32G macOS 12.6, DP 11.32, Mixbus 10, Logic 10.7, Scarlett 18i8
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

Tritonemusic wrote:
That's only if one goes to the subscription model; they still have a so-called perpetual license model but that's $199 US per year. Anymore I'll not get into as my personal thoughts about PT as a user aren't fit for human consumption.
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

musicman691 wrote:That's only if one goes to the subscription model; they still have a so-called perpetual license model but that's $199 US per year. Anymore I'll not get into as my personal thoughts about PT as a user aren't fit for human consumption.
Yeah, I figured most people here already knew that. I was just trying to make a lighthearted joke. Looks like it was a flop.
amplidood

Post by amplidood »

musicman691 wrote:
amplidood wrote:I left Snow Leopard kicking and screaming, but I am happy to have iCloud integration with my phone. Other than that, Mavericks feels exactly the same to me.
How are you getting on with the gui? I found it one of the ugliest ones out there when I had it on my daw machine.
I'm not in Yosemite. Every time I see it on someone else's computer, I absolutely despise it.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

amplidood wrote:
musicman691 wrote:
I'm not in Yosemite. Every time I see it on someone else's computer, I absolutely despise it.
I've not been happy with iOS since they went to that narrow text and flat icons thing. All the cues are gone that used to guide the eyes and make it possible to see what you need even if you don't have the right glasses on. I literally have to put on my glasses to find my address book or calendar. Used to be so easy. Once in them, I still had to put on glasses to do much, but I could always make out enough to find a phone number and click on it. Not now.

And those flat icons. Sometimes design guys care more about being hip to latest design trends than about being functional for users. I was very happy with the look and feel of OS X from its birth up to about 10.6 or 10.7. On the phone and iPad, iOS was nice until the version that flattened the icons.

I have apps that display time in fairly large fonts on the mobile devices. The text is so thin I can't make it out without glasses. Used to be easy to see the time and date without any more than a glance. The iPhone wakes me up every day; I look at it and cannot make out anything on the screen until I put on glasses. That sucks! I used to see every number clearly. Eyes haven't changed; I still use the same strength reading glasses. It's the damned fonts. "Skinny" isn't always good in a font! Especially a display font!

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|