Best Mastering Plug-In

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
tommymandel
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Best Mastering Plug-In

Post by tommymandel »

Right, BobK - and I thought Mike was referencing the MW Compressor - which I'm very interested in learning more about, since I use it all the time on my Master Bus. I'm tryin to try to get away from that, but more often than not, it sounds good to me, ON. My current explorations have to do with where to place the 2 frequency dividing bands, and how hard or soft to hit it. Depends on the program material, of course. . . but In retrospect, perhaps Mike H. was talking about the Leveler.
DP 11.03 12core(5,1): 64GB/10.13.6, two 24i/o's, two 2408mk3's, 4pre, MicroLite-- MBP 2015 16GB/ 2TB 'Blade SSD 10.14.4, Mainstage, Numa C2x, ReMOTE SL -- SupDrmr, 32 Lives, SampleTron,Keyscape,MTronPro,RolCloud,Icarus,Dune,OB-E; Clearmountain Domain,Soundtoys,AdrenaLinnSync, LinnSequencers,Tempest, Montage, JU80, Sledge, Prophet-X, OB-6 V-Synth, s70xs, D-50, TS-10, JD800, Karma, Pa-1x B3, Wurly, Mason Hamlin.
Hardware rig: http://www.tommymandel.com/famous.html/tmrig.html"
Radiogal

Post by Radiogal »

Okay. Try this sweetie. Stillwells Event Horizon.

I got plenty of plugins, but this one is an all time high favorite.
It makes things louder, naturally LOUDER.. sweetening louder.. with warmth!!!

You can use the evaluation version for free and buy it later for 39 dollars if you fall in love with it, like I did. :love:

http://www.stillwellaudio.com/?page_id=16

Stillwell got plenty of other great plugins. Plz Check these out too!
MAC PRO 6 Core 3.33 GHz, 16 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.5, DP 9 MAC and WIN (64bit/Jbridge) AMPGUI Mellow, Logic 10, Wavelab 8 MOTU 24I/O (x2), MOTU 2408 MK3 (2x), WAVES Mercury 9, SSL, UAD2Quad, McDSP, Sound Toys, Sonnox, Sonalksis, NomadFactory, T-Racks, P&M, LexPCM, AbbeyRoad, DSM, VCC, VTM, FGX, Melda, EWQL SymphOrch/Piano Gold. Mixingdesk: AMEK Big 44, TK BC-1MK2, SSLcomp clones, GAPPre73, PCM91, TC, FMR. Monitors: Genelec 1031, ADAM A7, >40 mics http://www.ragdollproduction.com
Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

tape and a mastering guru. Sorry, that's all I know. I send my stuff off to the guys in NYC. But us mere mortals need plugins. I would guess the Flux/IRCAM stuff.

Mac Studio M1 Ultra, 128GBs Unified memory, 4TB SSD.
Interfaces: MOTU M2 and 8A (2.1 and 5.1 setups).
DAWs: Digital Performer 11, Logic Pro, Cubase 12 Pro, Studio One Pro.
Sample Libraries: Primary - VSL (all), Spitfire, (mostly all), and many others.
External Controllers: Metagrid Pro and Studio Logic SL|MIXFACE
Kubi

Post by Kubi »

tommymandel wrote:Taking heed of these great posts, I just instantiated a Trim plug-in on a channel (not the Master), set it to -3.20db, and then copied by option dragging, it to every channel strip. But when I checked the copies, they were at 0.00db. Is that a 'feature' that I should know about, or was it more likely a careless error on my part? thanks again all good posters here!
This seems to happen when you drag from stereo to mono, or vice-versa - the plug-in gets duplicated, but defaults to zero. Now if you option-drag between like tracks (stereo to stereo, or mono to mono) it should retain its setting.

A big +1 on using the trim plug to peak the mix *well* below 0dB. Most common mistake in digital mixing is leaving too little headroom. I mix for an average level of around -18dB, highest peaks end up being around -6dB this way. Once the mix is done, either I or my mastering engineer take it to the level it needs to go. So much more space and room to breathe in the mixes this way.

:D
Kubi
---------------------------------------------------
Kubilay Uner
http://kubilayuner.com
MacPro 2x2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 20GB RAM; OS 10.9.5; DP9.01; MOTU 2408mk3 & MIDI Express 128 w/latest drivers
tommymandel

Post by tommymandel »

Radiogal wrote:Okay. Try this sweetie. Stillwells Event Horizon.

I got plenty of plugins, but this one is an all time high favorite.
It makes things louder, naturally LOUDER.. sweetening louder.. with warmth!!!

You can use the evaluation version for free and buy it later for 39 dollars if you fall in love with it, like I did. :love:

YES, Sweetie! I do have Stillwell's Event Horizon. But sometimes it makes me distort. What to do about that? :banghead: (for the brickwall?)
DP 11.03 12core(5,1): 64GB/10.13.6, two 24i/o's, two 2408mk3's, 4pre, MicroLite-- MBP 2015 16GB/ 2TB 'Blade SSD 10.14.4, Mainstage, Numa C2x, ReMOTE SL -- SupDrmr, 32 Lives, SampleTron,Keyscape,MTronPro,RolCloud,Icarus,Dune,OB-E; Clearmountain Domain,Soundtoys,AdrenaLinnSync, LinnSequencers,Tempest, Montage, JU80, Sledge, Prophet-X, OB-6 V-Synth, s70xs, D-50, TS-10, JD800, Karma, Pa-1x B3, Wurly, Mason Hamlin.
Hardware rig: http://www.tommymandel.com/famous.html/tmrig.html"
waitsongs

Post by waitsongs »

Kubi wrote:A big +1 on using the trim plug to peak the mix *well* below 0dB. Most common mistake in digital mixing is leaving too little headroom. I mix for an average level of around -18dB, highest peaks end up being around -6dB this way. Once the mix is done, either I or my mastering engineer take it to the level it needs to go. So much more space and room to breathe in the mixes this way.

:D
This sounds great, but I have a really basic question... is there any way to REALLY know exact levels in DP, or do I need certain plug-ins to tell what my average (RMS?) and peak levels are? I've been around long enough to remember calibrating analog equipment, and I'm fairly careful with gain staging in DP so I end up with appropriately loud and clear mixes, but it's always a little mystifying when I'm interpreting levels between DP meters, Ozone meters, Central Station meters, etc. Maybe I'm just being lazy and not calibrating as much as I should, but I sure wouldn't mind having a little more certainty that what I see on my various meters is real.
DP 8.06, OS X 10.8.3, 8 core 2.8gHz MacPro, 14 GB ram, 32 Lives and JBridge, UAD-2 Quad Satellite, 828mk3, Apogee AD-16X, Trak2 and Rosetta, Eleven Rack, EWQL Gold Pro, Colossus, Goliath, Ethno World 4, StormDrum2, Komplete 8, LASS, MX4, Soundtoys Bundle, Stillwell plugs, Ozone 5, Slate Bundle, Trash, Waves C6, H-EQ, Autotune, Abbey Road plugs, Pro Tools 10, Logic 9, Reason 6.5, Final Cut Pro, lots of mic pre's, mics, instruments....
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

waitsongs wrote: This sounds great, but I have a really basic question... is there any way to REALLY know exact levels in DP, or do I need certain plug-ins to tell what my average (RMS?) and peak levels are? I've been around long enough to remember calibrating analog equipment, and I'm fairly careful with gain staging in DP so I end up with appropriately loud and clear mixes, but it's always a little mystifying when I'm interpreting levels between DP meters, Ozone meters, Central Station meters, etc. Maybe I'm just being lazy and not calibrating as much as I should, but I sure wouldn't mind having a little more certainty that what I see on my various meters is real.
I like Inspector XL...

Unfortunately, it's no longer available.

Buzzy
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

timmeh
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by timmeh »

+! on the L3 Ultramaximizer from Waves. That is an incredible plugin.
Hardware
Mac Pro 2014 6 core 3.5ghz, 1 TB Internal PCI-SSD HD, 64gb RAM, Focusrite Sapphire Pro 14, OSX 10.9.2, BlackMagic Multidock II (3) SSD's.

Software
Digital Performer 8, Hollywood Brass & Woodwinds, LA Scoring Strings, EWQLSO Platinum Plus, Komplete 9, Omnisphere, Trillian, SD2, Evolve Mutations 1 & 2, Vienna Ensemble Pro
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

+ 1 on the Ozone 5 plugin. It gives you 6 modules in one, which is the idea, short of a chain of high end ($$$) analog gear. But I would add this:

When you are a non-mastering engineer working on a master, especially with an extremely powerful tool like Ozone, it is very easy to loose perspective quickly, and drastically overdo the settings. If you go far enough, and then hit bypass and listen to your mix and it sounds awful in comparison, you may have gone too far. Put it up for the night, and come back in the morning. You may have a "What was I thinking?" moment. If not, you may consider remixing. Remember, you want to enhance what is there, take it from good to great, not transform it from bad to good.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Gravity Jim wrote:Best results with least pain, for me, at any rate, has been Waves Linear Phase Multiband Compressor and Waves L3 Maximizer.
Ditto, but sometimes the L3 is mysteriously noisy. When that happens (sounds like clipping or blown speakers) I often switch to the L2. Otherwise, I love the L3 Multimaximizer.

Other tools I like are the Linear Phase EQ's from Waves: Low-Band and Broadband. They are ultra-clean.

Yet another tool is the H-EQ from Waves. I haven't tested it for accuracy on the mastering level, and I'm not 100% sure it would pass the tests, but it certainly has an amazing combination of features at your disposal; definitely not your run-of-the mill EQ.

I am not a mastering engineer, but I dabble in it, and those are the tools I mostly use.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
ghobish

Post by ghobish »

tommymandel wrote:I'm using MW Compressor into MW Limiter. One client called me "Too Low-Fi for Broadcast."

I would hasten to add: consider the source. Maybe your client knows what he's talking about; maybe he only thinks he does. How do you think your output compares to other commercially released recordings in the same genre?
Gary Hobish
A. Hammer Mastering & Digital Media
San Francisco, Ca
http://ahammer.com/mastering

Mastering: Mac Studio M1 MAX 2TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 32-core GPU, OS 12.6; DP 11.22, Waves, Izotope RX10 Advanced, Alloy, Nectar, PSP stuff, Plug-In Alliance, Metric Halo ULN-8 MkIV, Euphonix MC Control & MC Mix, Presonus Central Station, and (still) no air conditioning (but at least now there is airflow)

Annex: Mac Pro 2010 5,1 3.33GHz 12-core, 80GB RAM, 10.14.6, DP 11.22, Metric Halo ULN8 MkIV, MOTU 2408III
Armageddon

Post by Armageddon »

waitsongs wrote:This sounds great, but I have a really basic question... is there any way to REALLY know exact levels in DP, or do I need certain plug-ins to tell what my average (RMS?) and peak levels are? I've been around long enough to remember calibrating analog equipment, and I'm fairly careful with gain staging in DP so I end up with appropriately loud and clear mixes, but it's always a little mystifying when I'm interpreting levels between DP meters, Ozone meters, Central Station meters, etc. Maybe I'm just being lazy and not calibrating as much as I should, but I sure wouldn't mind having a little more certainty that what I see on my various meters is real.
I usually have a set of "standard" levels at which I set everything to begin with -- -7 dB for the snare, -17 dB for the bass, etc. -- and go from that starting point and with the knowledge that all my audio files are normalized to begin with, and should all be theoretically maximized to 0 dB. I actually had the faders set 3 dB higher after I started mixing in DP at 88.2 kHz/32-bit float, but unfortunately, having increased headroom leads you to believe that it's actually okay to go louder when it isn't.

I only use the DP meters to make sure nothing is going over 0 and making the hated red "over" light go on. If I'm trying to calibrate a compressor output, though, I'll usually call up a PAZ meter insert after the compressor and use that as my guide.

I don't figure out if my mixdown levels are copacetic until after I bounce down a mix and import it into Wave Editor, at which point, I can see whether or not the mix's RMS is too high.

I've tried using Ozone 4/5 and T-RackS 3 on their own to master, and both of them seem to have a mix of good features and bad, so I've been Frankensteining it lately with the T-RackS 3 LP EQ, followed by a PSP Master Comp (I still need a compressor with a lighter setting but high fidelity, so this is likely gonna change), followed by URS Saturation, followed by a Waves L3-LL Multimaximizer. I'm sure I'm gonna break down at some point and just resort to one mastering plug, whether it's Ozone 5 or me caving in and buying an FG-X (and for those of you wanting good meters, the FG-X has the most responsive I've ever seen).

The rule of thumb I've been using is to set up a "typical" mastering chain preset on my Master fader, like, say, the "Indy Rock" setting in Ozone 5. Then, I solo my snare drum (typically, the loudest element of any mix), sometimes, also, my kick drum. I'll then move up the fader on my snare just until it starts consistently hitting zero on the output meters -- that's where I'll stop. From that point, I can mix everything else around that.
Mid- 2012 MacBook Pro Quad-core i7 2.7 GHz/16 GB RAM/2 TB SSD (primary)/1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (secondary) • OS X 10.14.6 • DP 11.1 • Pro Tools 12.8.1 • Acoustica Pro 7.4.0 • Avid MBox Pro 3G • Korg K61 • IMDb Page
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

ghobish wrote:I would hasten to add: consider the source. Maybe your client knows what he's talking about; maybe he only thinks he does. How do you think your output compares to other commercially released recordings in the same genre?
+1
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

IMHO, picky monitor level calibration is a key.
Bob Katz's book, Mastering Audio, is a good value on this subject.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.32, OS12.7.5, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480, Sparkverb
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
Matcher

Post by Matcher »

tommymandel wrote:I'm using MW Compressor into MW Limiter. One client called me "Too Low-Fi for Broadcast." I am aware that it's how you set these things that separates the Silk from the Crunch, but I'd just like to find out here, what people are using, and like the best. Thanks!
Some years ago, when I used mw comp and limiter, for a number if productions, the results were mediocre at the best, after a lot of tweaking. To make a long story short, for example Ozone is on a whole another level, a simple way to get broadcast quality masters.
Last edited by Matcher on Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MBP i7, OSX 10.7.4