DP8 or Final Cut ProX

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
stephentayler
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP8 or Final Cut ProX

Post by stephentayler »

I must admit that the learning curve was quite steep with FCPX, completely different to FCP 7. The way the timeline works bears little relation to the old way, but once I got used to it I like it a lot. I still do use FCP7 for a couple of things that the X version doesn't do.

For my visuals I tend to use many layers - varying opacity, keying, dissolves etc, rather like mixing, and what is impressive is how quickly everything is rendered.

At first I had some problems with placing clips in a specific spot in the timeline, but once you get used to how that works it makes sense.

The thing that threw me initially was the workflow. All I can say is I recommend taking the time to read the manual and do some tutorials., well worth it!

SWT
Stephen W Tayler: Sound Artist
http://www.chimera-arts.com
http://ostinatomusic.com
http://stephentayler.com

Mac Pro 16Gb RAM, OSX 10.10, DP 8, PT 11, Logic 9.1.8, MOTU Traveler, Ultralite Mk 3 Hybrid, MC MIx, MOTU VIs, Waves, Izotope Everything, Spectrasonics, SoundToys, Slate, Softube, NI , spl Surround Monitor Controller, spl Auditor Headphone amp, Genelec 1031A, 1029 5.1 system, Sontronics Mics, iPad etc..
FutureLegends

Post by FutureLegends »

FCPX is my favourite application of all atime, all categories. It's just such a joy to use. Brilliant. New version coming out anytime though and since Apple don't do upgrade prices, it might be an idea to use iMovie for now and then grab the new FCPX in december...
Hackintosh 6-Core 3.7ghz/32gb ram, macOS Mojave
Hardware: Apollo 8, Apollo 8p, Apollo Twin mkII, MOTU 828mk3 & Original 828 | UA LA-610 | Vanguard V13 Tube Mic | MindPrint En-Voice | Genelec M040AM | Gretsch Guitars & Drums
Software: DP8 | FCPX | Logic Pro X | Play
| EWQL Gypsy, Choirs, Orchestra Gold, VoP | EZDrummer w/ Twizted Kit | Action Strings
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

James Steele wrote:
EAP-Entertainment wrote:yes there's a PDF for FCPro X, I just went on yahoo & typed in final cut pro x pdf manual....
Cool. I'm figuring when I bought it, the installer must have placed one somewhere on my drive. Thing is, I MUST print manuals to actually learn a new app. I can't be going back and forth between the app and the PDF viewer. Of course I also have an iPad and I guess that's another way to go.
Isn't that what second monitors are for?

Yea... I prefer a printed manual, too.

There's an exception. I ordered the print manual to Finale once (2004 maybe?) It was printed 4 pages to a side on 8.5" x 11" and was still an inch thick. I needed a magnifier to look at it. What a waste of a ream of paper.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I took a look at the FC PDF and once I saw how many pages is have to print I decided against it. A $10 used book from Amazon in the subject is a better choice IMO or as stated above, the second monitor.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I took a look at the FC PDF and once I saw how many pages is have to print I decided against it. A $10 used book from Amazon in the subject is a better choice IMO or as stated above, the second monitor.
Yeah... I imagine it's hefty. I have a laser printer which isn't as expensive to print something big like that, but it's dodgy when you try to print double-sided. You have to print even pages first, put them back in the printer the right way and print odd pages. Heaven help you if a couple of pages stick together during the second run through. :(
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mikehalloran wrote:
James Steele wrote:
EAP-Entertainment wrote:yes there's a PDF for FCPro X, I just went on yahoo & typed in final cut pro x pdf manual....
Cool. I'm figuring when I bought it, the installer must have placed one somewhere on my drive. Thing is, I MUST print manuals to actually learn a new app. I can't be going back and forth between the app and the PDF viewer. Of course I also have an iPad and I guess that's another way to go.
Isn't that what second monitors are for?
Unless you really want to have that second monitor as part of your workspace for how you'd realistically use the app you're trying to learn. One of the reasons (besides its general "obtuseness") that I never learned Logic 8 (Express) is having to follow in a PDF. I don't like reading manuals off a computer screen. I find it fatiguing. Also, I like to sort of sit in bed and peruse a manual and sort of skim around digesting various concepts while not sitting in front of a computer. iPad will probably work nicely for that.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
sdfalk

Post by sdfalk »

I've used it since the beginning since everyone made little sad faces..
I got used to it fairly fast (for an old fart like me) and the every increased functionality
hasn't made me regret dumping FCP7 (and by dumping I mean not using..still exists on
my hard disk) for an instant.
A 2018 Mac mini with 16 gb of ram
HUGE bunch o' AU instruments/fx...
A Metric Halo ULN8-3D…mmmmmmm
Remember to eat all your fruits and vegetables!
My OS is The amazingly gratuitous 10.14
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

Well as long as we're here, Larry Jordan's video tutorials on FCP X, both the workflow and FX classes, are well worth the (reasonable) money I paid for them. Larry is fun and easy to watch, and without these videos, I would still be struggling with FCP X. I wish he would do an (advanced) DP tutorial series.. :mrgreen:

http://www.larryjordan.biz
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

What are general opinions on Adobe Premiere? I've heard it's picking up steam. I actually bought Adobe Premiere Elements, but haven't messed with it much.

FutureLegends

Post by FutureLegends »

Adobe Premier seems to be well regarded by those that like old fashioned NLEs and are unable or unwilling to learn the new, much more elegant ways of FCPX. :)
Hackintosh 6-Core 3.7ghz/32gb ram, macOS Mojave
Hardware: Apollo 8, Apollo 8p, Apollo Twin mkII, MOTU 828mk3 & Original 828 | UA LA-610 | Vanguard V13 Tube Mic | MindPrint En-Voice | Genelec M040AM | Gretsch Guitars & Drums
Software: DP8 | FCPX | Logic Pro X | Play
| EWQL Gypsy, Choirs, Orchestra Gold, VoP | EZDrummer w/ Twizted Kit | Action Strings
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

FutureLegends wrote:Adobe Premier seems to be well regarded by those that like old fashioned NLEs and are unable or unwilling to learn the new, much more elegant ways of FCPX. :)
Well that's about as backhanded an acknowledgment of Premiere as I've ever seen! LOL Maybe it's easier for some of us to just use something that works the way we're accustomed to in order to get something done, rather than learn our way around a new paradigm just for a short project. :)

sdfalk

Post by sdfalk »

James Steele wrote:
FutureLegends wrote:Adobe Premier seems to be well regarded by those that like old fashioned NLEs and are unable or unwilling to learn the new, much more elegant ways of FCPX. :)
Well that's about as backhanded an acknowledgment of Premiere as I've ever seen! LOL Maybe it's easier for some of us to just use something that works the way we're accustomed to in order to get something done, rather than learn our way around a new paradigm just for a short project. :)

I may use Final Cut X these days about the Adobe Premiere way of doing things is perfectly fine.
Stable, good Video FX/processing, CPU efficient.
Worth having, especially give the light versions price point
A 2018 Mac mini with 16 gb of ram
HUGE bunch o' AU instruments/fx...
A Metric Halo ULN8-3D…mmmmmmm
Remember to eat all your fruits and vegetables!
My OS is The amazingly gratuitous 10.14
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

It's not so much Premier that peeps like, it is After Effects, which is what most compositors/visual artists use, and depending on bundles, etc., you get Premier with it.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

BKK-OZ wrote:It's not so much Premier that peeps like, it is After Effects, which is what most compositors/visual artists use, and depending on bundles, etc., you get Premier with it.
I have FCP-X and Premier Elements. I have modest needs. I'm sort of at the beginning of the learning curve on both apps, so I could choose either path at this point.

Kurt Cowling

Post by Kurt Cowling »

I switched to Premiere because FCP-X is so convoluted when it comes to collaborating on projects. If two people have the same footage all you have to do is send the project file back and forth with Premiere (just like it was with FCP7). With FCP-X it's waaay more complicated.

--Kurt
DP 11.1, Monterey, 2021 MacBook Pro M1-Max, 2017 iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, Omnisphere 2, Trilian, Stylus RMX, EZ Drummer 2, MachFive 3.11, Real Guitar2, Real Strat, Sample Modeling trumpet, saxes, trombone, Fr Horn/Tuba. Audio Modeling clarinets, double reeds, flutes, strings, Kontakt 6, Flux Pure Limiter 3, PSP Vintage Warmer, PSP MixPack, PSP StereoPack, PSP Impressor, Altiverb 7, Izotope RX8 Standard, Yamaha S-90ES, Yamaha MOXF-8, Yamaha MX60, Sibelius subscription, Adobe CC and Motion 5.