DP8 or Final Cut ProX

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
EAP-Entertainment
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP8 or Final Cut ProX

Post by EAP-Entertainment »

Good morning, my question is:
Can I use DP8 for video editing, importing, exporting or should I purchase Final Cut ProX? I've been recording my jazz shows live & now I want to start editing, etc...

I know that you all are experts & will guide & give me wonderful advice & great directions.. thank you in advance..
:D
IMac-i7(2012), MBP 2012, Cubase 5, 6.5 & 7, Protools 9 & 10, Korg Kronos 61 & 73keys, Motif XS-rack, Drums, Bass, Fender Strat, Waves & Sonnox Plugs,
Yamaha UR824(BLA Mod), Yamaha MR816csx, Focusrite OctoPre Mk II, Motu 828mk3, Avid Artist & Mix Control, mics, & etc.
DP8-Main DAW

faith is the art of holding on to things your reason has once accepted inspite of your changing moods.

Eric-EAP Co

it's better to have it & not need it that to need it & not have it
MIDI Life Crisis

DP8 or Final Cut ProX

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

No video editing in DP. FC works but can be a little cryptic at first. It might be more cost effective and get better results to hire an editor.

I did all the editing on my site in FC. Check out reel 1 in particular to see what's possible.

http://www.MIDILifeCrisis.com

Go to Music Selections and select Reel 1 from the top of the screen.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: DP8 or Final Cut ProX

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I have FCPX and I haven't delved into it too much, but it's very powerful and from what I hear, if you aren't coming to it with any habits from a previous version, you're almost better off.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Also, if all you want to do is some simple cutting or dissolving between chucks of various live performances, iMovie does a fine job and is already on your Mac. If you're making a performance demo, you don't need the horsepower of FCPX.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
EAP-Entertainment

Great, thanks guys & also I didnt know that I can use iMovie for video editing that's great also. I look on apple website & notice that FCProX is only $300 so I'm thinking of taking that plunge because I want to have something that is powerful & can compete with Avid also; & it's not the price of Avid Media Composer (lol, which is even better for my wallet & my wife wont get mad :lol: )...

Thank you guys for all the info & great suggestion's & direction's...
IMac-i7(2012), MBP 2012, Cubase 5, 6.5 & 7, Protools 9 & 10, Korg Kronos 61 & 73keys, Motif XS-rack, Drums, Bass, Fender Strat, Waves & Sonnox Plugs,
Yamaha UR824(BLA Mod), Yamaha MR816csx, Focusrite OctoPre Mk II, Motu 828mk3, Avid Artist & Mix Control, mics, & etc.
DP8-Main DAW

faith is the art of holding on to things your reason has once accepted inspite of your changing moods.

Eric-EAP Co

stephentayler

Post by stephentayler »

FCPX is brilliant, can't recommend it enough - and since I installed Mavericks it is running even more smoothly. I've been working on it since the beginning of the year for concert visuals and I am amazed at what can be done.

Well worth it, especially compared to what previous versions of FCP cost, spent a fortune over the years!!

SWT
Stephen W Tayler: Sound Artist
http://www.chimera-arts.com
http://ostinatomusic.com
http://stephentayler.com

Mac Pro 16Gb RAM, OSX 10.10, DP 8, PT 11, Logic 9.1.8, MOTU Traveler, Ultralite Mk 3 Hybrid, MC MIx, MOTU VIs, Waves, Izotope Everything, Spectrasonics, SoundToys, Slate, Softube, NI , spl Surround Monitor Controller, spl Auditor Headphone amp, Genelec 1031A, 1029 5.1 system, Sontronics Mics, iPad etc..
EAP-Entertainment

That's great info Stephen, thanks; I'm going to purchase it today.. Is the learning curve of FCProX easy?
DP8-Main DAW

Eric-EAP Co

MIDI Life Crisis

The curve wasn't as hard for me as finding features in new places and figuring out his the timeline works and using multiple tracks. Now you've got me thinking I should go get a FCP guide at Barnes & Nobel. :)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Me too. Is there a PDF manual for FCPX. I haven't really looked. I'd need to print it however.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
EAP-Entertainment

yes there's a PDF for FCPro X, I just went on yahoo & typed in final cut pro x pdf manual....
DP8-Main DAW

Eric-EAP Co

MIDI Life Crisis

There's a manual? I thought it was an automatic!

:)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
EAP-Entertainment

Yep, I just printd it out & as soon as I get home I'm ordering & downloading Final Cut Pro X..!!! Yes..!!! :D
DP8-Main DAW

Eric-EAP Co

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

EAP-Entertainment wrote:yes there's a PDF for FCPro X, I just went on yahoo & typed in final cut pro x pdf manual....
Cool. I'm figuring when I bought it, the installer must have placed one somewhere on my drive. Thing is, I MUST print manuals to actually learn a new app. I can't be going back and forth between the app and the PDF viewer. Of course I also have an iPad and I guess that's another way to go.

Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

One important note: FCP 7 had importing and exporting XML to DP, so edits made in one could be reflected in the other. With FCP X, Apple rewrote the entire XML code in their own image, so that nothing (I'm aware of) can read it, including DP. I frankly don't understand why they still have it in the app. :wink:

FCP X is very powerful software, we use it all the time here.. but I want you to imagine, for a moment, working on a song in DP, with a couple dozen audio tracks, where there could not exist an empty space between any of the sound bites on any of the tracks unless you "generate" the blank space or "gap" and place it between each one. Imagine that you wanted a moment of silence in your song, so you had to create the silence (empty sound file) and place it where it belongs, or you could not proceed with creating the rest of the song.. this is what FCP X is to me.

So why do I use it? Well for example, you can take a less than perfectly lit chroma screen clip and with one command, knock the background out from the subject perfectly, with no fuss or tweaking. Nothing else on the market does it so completely and stupid easy. So, I tolerate Apple's weirdness.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.