best choice for home mastering in DP...

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
cloudsplitter
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: best choice for home mastering in DP...

Post by cloudsplitter »

Upon re-visiting DSM I am now finding it useful.....I have spent a lot more time getting to know it.
Mac Pro 3,1 8 core 12 gigs ram Mavericks. DP-8.05 Fractal Audio Axe-FX Ultra, motu traveler, motu MIDI express, 2-24" LCD monitors, Yamaha HS80M,Yamaha NS10M's JBL28P monitors. Mackie control universal, BFD-2, Omnisphere,Trilian Ozone 4, Melodyne Studio/Editor, . Alesis Masterlink. Avalon 737sp. PCM 90. MikTek C4V. Korg Triton Extreme. Paul Reed Smith guitars, MPC-2500 there's more..but that's the heart of it.
dinobass

Post by dinobass »

The UAD stuff is awesome for mastering. The Fairchild and 4K are great general Master Bus compressors and the Precision MultiBand is a great compressor for zeroing in on any trouble frequencies. I like the Precision Limiter better than the Waves equivalents; it just sounds less hyped, especially on the high end. The Precision Maximizer is similar to the Sonnox Inflator, but again, the UAD plug just sounds better to me. A UAD card and those plugs get pretty expensive though. I have Ozone 4, but I usually only add a sprinkling of stereo imaging with it because I usually go with UAD EQ (forgot to mention their Precision and Cambridge EQs!) and compression. Last week I got the Slate Digital mastering plug and I've been switching out the UAD Maximizer and Limiter for it with great results on some material.
Mac Studio M2 Ultra 128G RAM OSX 14.3, 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, UA Apollo x6, UA Apollo Twin, UAD-2 Satellite (x2)
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

I tried the (third) demo of SSD's FG-X mastering processor and I
have to admit, it does what they claim it does. Slate had a problem
with PPC-compatibility which they say they've been working hard to
resolve and the next update should fix it. At that point I think
I'll buy it...it certainly makes things louder, with less artifacts,
than any other mastering processor I've used.

I've demoed every mastering suite out there, I own Tracks3 Deluxe,
Ozone4, and BIAS Peak. I've been using Ozone4 pretty much exclusively
for over a year, and will likely continue with it, using the Slate
plug-in as my maximizer in conjunction with it.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
cbergm7210

Post by cbergm7210 »

David Polich wrote:I tried the (third) demo of SSD's FG-X mastering processor and I
have to admit, it does what they claim it does. Slate had a problem
with PPC-compatibility which they say they've been working hard to
resolve and the next update should fix it. At that point I think
I'll buy it...it certainly makes things louder, with less artifacts,
than any other mastering processor I've used.

I've demoed every mastering suite out there, I own Tracks3 Deluxe,
Ozone4, and BIAS Peak. I've been using Ozone4 pretty much exclusively
for over a year, and will likely continue with it, using the Slate
plug-in as my maximizer in conjunction with it.
+1

:woohoo:

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 26&t=42331" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Dual Quad Core Nahalem, 16 Gigs RAM, DP 9, RME Fireface 800, MOTU MIDIexpress 128, Mac OS 10.8.5

http://www.rfjmusic.com
KEVORKIAN

Post by KEVORKIAN »

Definite +1 on the Slate FG-X

I bought it a few weeks ago after demoing it on a project. Using it in conjunction with DSM it's really amazing how loud I can now make a master while retaining the basic balance achieved during a mix. I finally felt like the Mastering EQ was being used for sweetening and not surgery.
dp7.2 || os 10.6.7 || 2x2.8 (eight core) intel mac pro, 16gb ram || metric halo uln-8 || motu traveler || euphonix mc control || waves mercury || abbey road bundle || mh channelstrip || toontrack sd 2.0, ez drummer, drumtracker || addictive drums || drumcore 3 || ni komplete 5 || reason || bidule || altiverb 6 || omnisphere, stylus RMX || melodyne 3.2 || stillwell || soundtoys || nomad factory|| psp || mpressor || dsm ||
Mark Walmsley

Post by Mark Walmsley »

I am extremely happy with TC Powercore MD3 and brickwall limiter. Very transparent and loud masters can be achieved once the tools are understood. I know that not every one has been happy with Powercore but (touch wood) it's working fine for me at the moment with DP 7.2
Mac-Pro 8 core 2010, OSX 10.9.5, Motu DP 8.07, Apollo firwire, TC Powercore Firewire. User since Performer on Macplus in 1988
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Babz »

rainmaker wrote: But my go-to limiter and my absolute favorite is the Universal Audio Precision Limiter. It is a wonderful limiter that is extremely transparent even under extreme limiting.
+1 on the UAD Precision Limiter. - esp. since you mention you just got UAD. Go for it!
Armageddon

Post by Armageddon »

I dig Ozone 4, and before Intel, I was using Prosoniq's Dynasone (waaaaay too squashy and plastic), but even compared to Waves' Multimaximizer or any number of other plugs that simply get things loud, I still gravitate towards T-RackS, which still sounds like the best tape/analog emulation, to my ears. I usually start off with a T-RackS EQ (15 ips), and while I then stacked a T-RackS compressor right under it with a Transparent setting, I'm probably gonna start using a Voxengo Crunchessor with a "Glue" setting. I can't seem to find a decent compressor sound with T-RackS, and I've discovered compression is something that really needs to be used in moderation. After that, a T-RackS limiter with a "15 ips" setting and, finally, a T-RackS Clipper with a "Loud And Clear" setting. Since I switched from Peak to Wave Editor as my mastering software, I don't have to sweat sticking an IDR or an instance of Ozone 4 after to handle dithering. Anyway, I came up with my mastering chain after years of A-B rolling my masters against commercial ones ... but I started out squashing and boosting my masters to the nth degree. For scoring work, I usually just apply either a "Light 3 Band Compressor" or a "CD Master" setting in Ozone 4, and while neither setting is anywhere close to "commercial loud", it's great for movie work, where your music is being super-compressed during the audio mastering phase, and then, even more when it's shown on TV.
Mid- 2012 MacBook Pro Quad-core i7 2.7 GHz/16 GB RAM/2 TB SSD (primary)/1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (secondary) • OS X 10.14.6 • DP 11.1 • Pro Tools 12.8.1 • Acoustica Pro 7.4.0 • Avid MBox Pro 3G • Korg K61 • IMDb Page
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I have Peak and Ozone4, I prefer to use none but certain radio formats, especially K-LOVE, sound so horrible that squeezing your sound first is a must. It will still sound bad but, at least, you have control over the result.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro