best choice for home mastering in DP...

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
sayatnova
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

best choice for home mastering in DP...

Post by sayatnova »

Hello everyone,

I am wondering about the various home mastering plugins that are out there for us. I just got a UAD card, and already own some PSP mastering plugs (Master-Q, Master-Comp & NEON). At this point I think I need a finalizer/Limiter. What do you think of the PSP Xenon?

Or, is the UAD Precision Mastering bundle a good/better way to go. I also have heard a lot about Ozone 4 as a possible option...

I primarily do traditional, acoustic music (no dance-club, rock, etc.). I have good mics, good pres, a treated room and good ADDA conversion. I want to preserve as much of this as possible...;-) I need clean and transparent.

Any thoughts would be welcomed!

Take care, I appreciate your time.

~Shea
http://www.bfdmusic.com
Mac Studio Ultra, 64 gigs RAM, OSX 12.7.5, DP 11.3, UAD2 thunderbolt satellite octo, Apogee Symphony IO MK2 TB
kassonica
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: best choice for home mastering in DP...

Post by kassonica »

OZone is very good and has excellent SRC and dither options plus it has M/S and a bunch of other goodness.

I just used the UAD Multi-Limiter on a mastering job (please don't ask I'm NOT an mastering dude) and I was impressed with the results. I like the sound more than the waves L16 or whatever it's called.
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
sayatnova

Post by sayatnova »

Thanks kassonica for the info. It helps. I should have also stated that I already have BIAS PEAK and the SRCs are very good in that as well. I don't know why, but something about the OZone interface makes me hesitant. In all fairness I will give it a try if they offer a demo. After all, in the end it doesn't matter how something looks: if it sounds good, it is good!

Cheers.
Mac Studio Ultra, 64 gigs RAM, OSX 12.7.5, DP 11.3, UAD2 thunderbolt satellite octo, Apogee Symphony IO MK2 TB
magicd

Post by magicd »

I did a 50 song master in DP last year for Sony. 12 of those tracks have just been licensed for release on a UK label. The master was done in DP, primarily with stock MOTU plugs.

The two non-MOTU plugs I used were the Waves Multi Maximizer, and the RNDigital Uniquel-izer.

Dave
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I use Ozone for dithering but not SRC. For the latter, I use the high-end iZotope SRC included in Wave Editor. Ozone for dithering is quite trivial: you shut off the interface (by canceling vs. loading a preset), which disables everything except dithering. Couldn't be easier!

Both SRC and dithering have improved at least four-fold in DP 7, to the point that I don't mind using them for non-critical tracks (that is, anything other than acoustic orchestral instruments).

BIAS Peak has improved SRC and dithering in version 6, but I don't know how it currently stacks up against DP, considering the improvements in both over the past couple of releases.

In some cases -- dithering in particular -- source material can make a difference in which algorithm works the best. You can also fool with the parameters for both dithering and SRC.

I also find that leaving 0.3 dB of headroom vs. the "standard" 0.0 or 0.1 dB, at the end of the mastering chain, dramatically improves the dithering to 16 bits and the conversion to MP3. It gives that extra headroom that can sometimes be critical during the conversion process.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

magicd wrote:The two non-MOTU plugs I used were the Waves Multi Maximizer, and the RNDigital Uniquel-izer.

Dave
The Waves Multi Maximizer is one of my go-to plugins, along with the Linear Phase Multi-Band (which I sometimes call their "C-5"). I think the RNDigital Uniquel-izer is no longer available.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
jlaudon

Post by jlaudon »

I also really like and use Xenon a lot - the K metering is especially useful.
MacBook Pro 2021 (M1 Ultra) with 64 gigs RAM. DP 11.23
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I bought PSP Xenon during one of their recent sales, on faith alone, due to it being promoted here by people whose ears I trust.

I have found it the most transparent mastering limiter for certain acoustic music contexts where only light limiting is called for. My notes are at home regarding whether I found it better for chamber vs. full orchestra. I am now using it more than Ozone for classical and some jazz.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
n2mpujack

Post by n2mpujack »

Shooshie wrote:
magicd wrote:The two non-MOTU plugs I used were the Waves Multi Maximizer, and the RNDigital Uniquel-izer.

Dave
The Waves Multi Maximizer is one of my go-to plugins, along with the Linear Phase Multi-Band (which I sometimes call their "C-5"). I think the RNDigital Uniquel-izer is no longer available.
Nothing's available from RND. The company has gone bye-bye unfortunately.
sayatnova

Post by sayatnova »

Thanks again everyone for the replies,

It looks like owning more than one limiter is a good way to go (like mics...). I think I will start with the Xenon and look into the others maybe later. I still don't feel good about WAVES, but will check it out if a demo is possible.

Cheers,

Shea A.J. Comfort
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Can't say I blame you about Waves. I got on board with Waves when they were the best game in town, and they were very responsive to all our needs. That was longer ago than I want to think about right now. Unfortunately, once they get that big chunk of change from you, it gets very hard NOT to upgrade. I try to go a year or so without upgrading so as to spread out their cost and get more ride per ticket, so to speak, but it still costs more than any other company's upgrades. You might consider just getting a single limiter, like the LL3-MultiMaximizer, from a company like Sweetwater who can discount it at least a little bit. Then you're not paying such a high upgrade fee. The other "bargain" is to buy the whole store; all their plugins. Then your upgrade fee still never goes past $200. With multiple bundles or individual plugins, it can add up to well over that amount.

But I've beat Waves to death in this forum. I'll try to lay off. The plugins deserve respect, even if the company never misses a chance to… ooops. Sorry. I said I'd lay off.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

+1 for Ozone.

You just can't beat what all you get for the money. Now, with version 4 we have M/S processing on the EQ module and also on the multi-band compression.. you gotta know a little about what you're doing to get the best out of it though.

You might also consider looking into Sonnox. I have the Limiter, EQ and Dynamics plugs, and they are very good. The limiter has a certain sound it imparts, a very smooth and polished "sheen".. fantastic on acoustic material, gives you that solid, full sound.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
newrigel

Post by newrigel »

+1 Sonnox!
pencilina

Post by pencilina »

There's always the free simple W1 limiter:

http://www.yohng.com/w1limit.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

which does amazing brick walling
Latest DP, Gigabyte Designaire z390 i9 Hackintosh 32G Ram, Lucid ADA88192, RME FF800 and FF802 on M1 MPB, Ventura, and a Pencilina
JES

Post by JES »

A few things on mastering:

First, the big difference between mixing and mastering is process over tools. Yes, you need a good limiter, good dither and good EQ, but lots of plugs can provide them. Ozone is worth a demo download since you can use it for free for a little while and they have a good instructional manual on mastering. I also highly recommend Bob Katz's book on mastering audio.

The big issues you will confront are tonal balance across songs and parts (so that the whole thing sounds like a unity if it's an album), translation from system to system and "sounding like other people's finished music." This is why mastering engineers are paid a lot of money.

If you do it yourself, you'll want to take lots of time and try lots of trial and error.

Another plug worth demoing is Dynamic Spectrum Mapper. It's probably overkill for your music, but stealing "imprints" from mastered music in your genre and then applying them to your recordings will be very instructive as you start out.

Also, if your room isn't perfect, be sure to try out the masters in lots of different places.