Careful with typos in track names

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Kubi

Careful with typos in track names

Post by Kubi »

Just a heads-up - had an audio track behave weird. Couldn't use "Repeat" command, wouldn't let me select it under certain circumstances for a paste, etc.

As I look at the offending track I realized I had accidentally typed "DrsScratch[rint" instead of "DrsScratchprint" (letter "p" being next to the square brackets on the US keyboard.) After I replaced the bracket with the regular letter the track behaved fine.

Hmmmm.

Anyway, problem gone and I like the proper track name better anyway. Just FYI, should anyone else ever run into this...

:koolaid:
Phil O
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Careful with typos in track names

Post by Phil O »

Hmm, I did have a situation once where a song was crashing repeatedly. Nothing seemed to work. Just on a whim, I re-named the project, and all worked fine. I didn't have any special characters in the name though. It was a joke for quite a while with that client. The song was "Last Waltz." I re-named it "Not The First Waltz." Oh well!

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
frankymax

Post by frankymax »

Yes- I remember a problem similar to this several months back where trying to show a track in Quickscribe which had a special character in its track name caused DP to lock up and crash. We finally figured out that by renaming the track without any special characters it would behave properly. I guess there's something odd with certain special characters in the track names!
DP9/Windows7-64bit-32GBRAM Intel i7-3e930K CPU@3.2GHz/Lynx Aurora 8/VSL Ext.Lib//Komplete8/Spectrasonics/KorgLegDig/Valhalla/WavesMus2/iZotope/PSP/CytomicGlue/NomadPP/Plug&Mix/DynSpecM/KurzPC88/LexiNatBundle/RelabLX480/Kush/FabFilter/Finale/Sibelius/PacificaMicPre/Lawson/Neumann/Peluso/AKG/SeNeve/Lucas Mics/Genelec1032A
http://frankmacchia.net/
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I guess Shakespeare was wrong. A ro$e by any other name doe$ not $mell [a$] $weet.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

That's good to know about. Do we know which characters are specifically to be avoided? I use my track names to document which patches I use (I NEVER use patch selection features in a DAW, and Reset All Controller etc. at the start of every MIDI track). This means they contain special characters, and these often get converted in the actual on-disc filename whether recording real-time or using BTD. yet not always (colons sometimes are retained, and parentheses seem to be accepted as valid characters IIRC).
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
frankymax

Post by frankymax »

this was a while ago, but if memory serves me correct it might have been the % sign- I think the track name had the patch name of a Roland sample which used the % sign - but I'm not absolutely sure.
DP9/Windows7-64bit-32GBRAM Intel i7-3e930K CPU@3.2GHz/Lynx Aurora 8/VSL Ext.Lib//Komplete8/Spectrasonics/KorgLegDig/Valhalla/WavesMus2/iZotope/PSP/CytomicGlue/NomadPP/Plug&Mix/DynSpecM/KurzPC88/LexiNatBundle/RelabLX480/Kush/FabFilter/Finale/Sibelius/PacificaMicPre/Lawson/Neumann/Peluso/AKG/SeNeve/Lucas Mics/Genelec1032A
http://frankmacchia.net/
KEVORKIAN

Post by KEVORKIAN »

frankymax wrote:this was a while ago, but if memory serves me correct it might have been the % sign- I think the track name had the patch name of a Roland sample which used the % sign - but I'm not absolutely sure.
Interesting... a lot of symbols like [ % / * etc are used in C programming (and at the unix command line) to represent variables and expressions.

I would imagine that there could be some instances where DP would try to pass the track name along with a given command and such an unexpected symbol could be seen as a portion of data relevant to the command. This may be something that MOTU should consider looking into if repeatable (I'm not volunteering to test this one btw! :lol: )
dp7.2 || os 10.6.7 || 2x2.8 (eight core) intel mac pro, 16gb ram || metric halo uln-8 || motu traveler || euphonix mc control || waves mercury || abbey road bundle || mh channelstrip || toontrack sd 2.0, ez drummer, drumtracker || addictive drums || drumcore 3 || ni komplete 5 || reason || bidule || altiverb 6 || omnisphere, stylus RMX || melodyne 3.2 || stillwell || soundtoys || nomad factory|| psp || mpressor || dsm ||