...and why are we sill using only SDII in DP?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Phil Jeffers

Post by Phil Jeffers »

chrispick wrote:Bring on BWF!
Definitely... SD II is an old file extention. All my libraries are now BWAV (and 24-Bit). MOTU should fall into line with this one IMO.
sdfalk
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by sdfalk »

SD2 (as I've said before) needs to die Motu!!
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Is there a particular reason NOT to use SDII files? The Nuendo thread said nothing except that it is a "pain".
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I'd like to see at least AIFF or some other lossless stereo file, and not these "joint stereo" files that are the SDII approach. If BWF is the way to go, fine with me. It would be nice if this could happen without our having to beta-test it in real life. In other words, fully developed and bug-free when released. And I would like to see it happen without losing a bit of retro-compatibility.

But I have questions. The SDII files have proven to be pretty durable for me. I've had situations where I've recorded several hours straight on a very low-capacity machine (G4 Powerbook 800, with 500MB RAM), and I was never worried about the files failing. They've never failed for me. They're very simple files. Are BWF's that simple? What if power is interrupted in the middle of a record? Will the files be good up to that point? I think that's a very important point. The data is sacred. Format is important, but down the list a way.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

I think what I meant was that MOTU has no other alternatives.

They can certainly leave SDII in place as far as I'm concerned.

The questions you raise are valid Shoosh and honestly I'm not sure. Also the pwr failure question is definitely one to be looked at. Never thought of that one.

Maybe I will mess about with B-wave in nuendo. I have been doing aiff and never tried it actually.
Mr_Clifford

Post by Mr_Clifford »

I wouldn't mind too much sticking with SDII (of course I'd prefer BWF, but it's not like we're losing sound quality) if they at least implemented a Broadcast Wave export function in the soundbites window that maintained the time-stamps. That's the real killer for me.

SDII is not compatible with PC's and Pro Tools will usually want to convert it to a BWF so if DP's going to keep SDII as a (somewhat orphaned) native format, then we need to be able to get our stuff in and out reliably.

My current workaround of option-R, copy, import into Pro Tools is not really working for me.
DP 9.52 Mac Pro 10.14.6 RME fireface800. Sibelius. Dorico 4
Tim

Post by Tim »

Timeline @12:47 wrote:Hi tim.
Come here often?
blue

Post by blue »

You kill me Tim.
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

Tim rules.
Phil Jeffers

Post by Phil Jeffers »

Mr_Clifford wrote:I wouldn't mind too much sticking with SDII (of course I'd prefer BWF, but it's not like we're losing sound quality) if they at least implemented a Broadcast Wave export function in the soundbites window that maintained the time-stamps. That's the real killer for me.

SDII is not compatible with PC's and Pro Tools will usually want to convert it to a BWF so if DP's going to keep SDII as a (somewhat orphaned) native format, then we need to be able to get our stuff in and out reliably.

My current workaround of option-R, copy, import into Pro Tools is not really working for me.
Hey Mr Cliff - maybe Peak LE or Peak Pro would be a nice little work-around for you for this. The beauty of Peak is you just do a save as, or export of the file and it nails it in about30 secs. None of this real time nonsense. Just a thought. Great for mastering too...
Mr_Clifford

Post by Mr_Clifford »

Phil Jeffers wrote:Hey Mr Cliff - maybe Peak LE or Peak Pro would be a nice little work-around for you for this. The beauty of Peak is you just do a save as, or export of the file and it nails it in about30 secs. None of this real time nonsense. Just a thought. Great for mastering too...
I just downloaded the Peak Pro trial version and had a bit of a mess around. It didn't seem to read the timestamps off any of the files I imported, either SDII's from DP or WAVs from Pro Tools, which doesn't instill much confidence in me to go and purchase the product.

Unfortunately, also, the trial version doesn't allow you to export or save, which means that I can't try exporting a .WAV to see if the timestamp remains intact.

Can you shed any light on this for me?

What's the SRC like in Peak. I assume it's better than DP, but is it better than, say, BarbaBatch?

Cheers
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Mr_Clifford wrote: What's the SRC like in Peak. I assume it's better than DP, but is it better than, say, BarbaBatch?
Cheers
Not better than BarbaBatch. But one of the better results in the tests.
Mr_Clifford

Post by Mr_Clifford »

bayswater wrote:
Mr_Clifford wrote: What's the SRC like in Peak. I assume it's better than DP, but is it better than, say, BarbaBatch?
Cheers
Not better than BarbaBatch. But one of the better results in the tests.
I just checked out what they charge for BarbaBatch. I guess it would want to be a damn good SRC for that price.
Phil Jeffers

Post by Phil Jeffers »

Mr_Clifford wrote:
Phil Jeffers wrote:Hey Mr Cliff - maybe Peak LE or Peak Pro would be a nice little work-around for you for this. The beauty of Peak is you just do a save as, or export of the file and it nails it in about30 secs. None of this real time nonsense. Just a thought. Great for mastering too...
I just downloaded the Peak Pro trial version and had a bit of a mess around. It didn't seem to read the timestamps off any of the files I imported, either SDII's from DP or WAVs from Pro Tools, which doesn't instill much confidence in me to go and purchase the product.

Unfortunately, also, the trial version doesn't allow you to export or save, which means that I can't try exporting a .WAV to see if the timestamp remains intact.

Can you shed any light on this for me?

What's the SRC like in Peak. I assume it's better than DP, but is it better than, say, BarbaBatch?

Cheers
Hi, I'm not exactly sure about the time stamping within Peak... I'll investigate and post back soon...
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Mr_Clifford wrote:I just checked out what they charge for BarbaBatch. I guess it would want to be a damn good SRC for that price.
Assumed you had BB and were looking at Peak as an alternative. If Peak LE does SRC it would be a good alternative because it's <$100 and maybe even less for any left over V4 boxes. Quattro DSP was ok in the tests as well, if you already have that. I don't recall the link to the test reports that started this exercise, but Quantize, if listening, could post it perhaps?