CUEMIX FX prefs crashing, hangs up and lagging on me in High Sierra, Mac Pro 5,1 anybody else?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
musicmanny
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

CUEMIX FX prefs crashing, hangs up and lagging on me in High Sierra, Mac Pro 5,1 anybody else?

Post by musicmanny »

CUEMIX FX prefs crashing, and lagging on me in High Sierra, Mac Pro 5,1 anybody else?

cuemix fx has been one of the most stable programs forever for me, and i use it for routing my sound to other rooms in my studio via my 2408 mk3 outputs.
After some other issuse on my mac pro tower w various GPU's..(video cards), and finally getting things squared away on my boot drive of OSX 10.13 CUEMIX FX hangs up all the time, the only way i can fix it is deleting the prefs.
Every other app is rock solid.
I did try deleting everything motu (using funter app) and re-installing, it didnt help. Only thing that helps is deleting prefs.

Current rig is mac pro 5,1 w 32 GB ram, osx 10.13 , GPU is AMD RX580..various SSD's....and logic or protools, but when im using 2408 as a speaker router, its just using the outputs of the 2408 for various rooms...thing is CUEMIX FX is freezing crashing hanging up.
Anybody else have this problem? I dont think its gpu related...i can't figure out what it can be.
mikehalloran

Re: CUEMIX FX prefs crashing, hangs up and lagging on me in High Sierra, Mac Pro 5,1 anybody else?

Post by mikehalloran »

CueMix is on the 424-PCIe card. The MOTU drivers provide the GUI.

Do you have the latest drivers? Because the 2408 is long discontinued, you'll find it on the Downloads site under 828mk3 Hybrid. You want the MOTU Audio Installer that includes High Sierra.
MOTU Audio Installer
MOTU Audio Installer
Version: 73220

Release Date: July 1, 2017

Supported Platforms
macOS 10.14, macOS 10.13, macOS 10.12, Mac OS X 10.11, Mac OS X 10.10, Mac OS X 10.9, Mac OS X 10.8, Mac OS X 10.7, Mac OS X 10.6
There are many other possibilities. When was the last time you changed the PRAM battery?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
musicmanny

Re: CUEMIX FX prefs crashing, hangs up and lagging on me in High Sierra, Mac Pro 5,1 anybody else?

Post by musicmanny »

hi mike, i appreciate your response, im downloading it now, it says its version 73220, i already have 73220 on my motu installers folders and ran it....do they keep the same number and update certain things?

Do you recommend deleting everything motu when trying this?

1- I appreciate what you said about the PRAM, never changed a batter or paid attention to if there was a battery, will dig into that ..... but if that was the case this shouldnt work under mojave either right? Would ZAP PRAM help maybe too?

2- Whats baffling me is why suddenly it stopped, i could put back a different GPU i guess to troubleshoot..........I was having other problems with a GPU recent purchcase that i returned canceling out my UAD2 PCIE driver recognition, so i guess GPU's if you say PCIE 424 drives CUEFX....gpu im using now AMD RX 580 8 GB could screw with that?

3- It "seems like" the 2408 is working fine, but you say its the 424 that matters for CUEMIX FX not the 2408...i do have another 2408.....i could try swapping in...or maybe change ports on the 424 to see if that helps....

Tnx

(The reason im stuck w High Sierra for now, is because i need premiere 2015, to edit MTS vid files from my canon for this project...Newer premiere stopped supporting .mts files)
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

The first symptom of a run down PRAM battery is the GPU acting up. Experienced techs charge for diagnosing that, then replacing the battery to "fix" the problem. Corrupted Preferences are another symptom. A run down battery is worse than none at all.

Except for the portables, Intel Macs came with a heat-resistant BR2032 battery. Unless subjected to extreme heat or cold, the common CR2032 medical battery is fine and identical electrically.

While you are poking around, take a look at the heatsink fins for the CPU. These get clogged with dust over time and should be cleaned now and then. Plenty of YouTube videos on cleaning them and replacing that battery.

You've mentioned deleting Preferences. Which ones exactly and where are they located?
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
musicmanny

Post by musicmanny »

hi mike, its just the one preference in the user/library/preferences folder and the only app messing up now on high sierra is CUEMIXFX.

com.motu.CueMixFX.plist

Its a lag, lts delaying lagging to open, once its open its fine. No other app is presenting problems. I believe in the market of used gpus on ebay which is abundant there sure can be defective items..creating electrical problems on pcie bus like i described with the amd7950 card....

You meantion also the heatsink, and the battery for pram but wouldnt this also affect mojave?

since there is no uninstall for motu software that i have i'd like to ask if anybody has a favorite way to completely erase motu software from their HD? I followed a link on line, then using the app funter, i wiped out anything w motu in the title then did a fresh install.

tnx
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

What DAW are you using?
musicmanny

Post by musicmanny »

hi mike Protools 2020 and logic 10.4.7 i think,

i have the remaining question if anybody can confirm a better way to delete all files motu, to do fresh re-install...i did everything on the page here on motunation on how to uninstall motu software.

I did try a different port on the 424card for my 2408mk3 it didnt help the lag on cuemixfx app launch.

and of course if anybody else has experience cuemix fx hanging up plz advise

tnx again