Resurrect DP5 projects?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
iGirl
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Resurrect DP5 projects?

Post by iGirl »

So here I am, decades later, with a bunch of DP5 projects copied from HDD to HDD over eons -- and no way to open them and export the MIDI. (I stopped recording for years, and sold my DP license off)
The audio files are there - but unfortunately I was so high tech and (ultimately not so) clever that I striped SMPTE to tape and only ran live MIDI during recording studio sessions and mixes - never recorded those instruments to tape!!! Now the MIDI is locked up in vintage files, and the hardware instruments are long gone. :-(

Are there any utilities or other programs that can extract MIDI from DP files?

I have no way of even knowing if all the years of copying from system to system (backup drives) has rendered them useless - or not? Mac HDD partition maps and formats have even changed over the last several decades! (I kept making sure I had plenty of backup copies though) Theoretically data is data - but......?

I still have my original DP5 book and CDs (along with key code), but no idea if that would even still work (on a vintage Mac).
Probably just easier to get a new version of DP10. (found on sale) Or DP11 - but the thing is I really only need it for as long as it takes to extract all my old projects and move them into Logic Pro.

Before I go to that extent though I would really like to know if my files are still readable (and that the MIDI is exportable) in a modern DP version.

Thoughts anyone? Thanks in advance!
Started using Performer when it was version 1.0 !
mikehalloran

Re: Resurrect DP5 projects?

Post by mikehalloran »

Ouch!

There are multiple issues here. Off the top of my head…

I hope that you are still on a Mac because some of this won't apply to Windows. DP 11 should be able to open DP 5 files even during the eval period but…

Transfering the files from Mac to Mac without zipping them first might strip the resource fork but definitely makes it so that you no longer have permissions to view your files. This can often be fixed. Read this thread—if you're lucky, it will work:
https://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=73510

There will be plug-in issues but if only trying to extract the MIDI, might not be a problem.

If your old license is still registered with MOTU under your name, you can upgrade for the current price. If you transferred ownership and it was registered, that option is off the table. Try logging into your MOTU User account and see—if you can't log in, call them.

In any case, the DP 11.22 Eval is fully functional (30 days?) so try it with that first. Hopefully, you'll be successful and can defer the upgrade decision till after you get it working.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I've been opening a client's DP4.x files with DP11 without issue. Understand that many plugins won't work; I leave them in place so I can, if necessary, have a clue where to start when rebuilding them with current plugins.

My own old projects give rise a problem like you suggested: what synth patches did I use for each track? I've no easy answer there. In my case, even my old reference mixes are long gone, thanks to a wildfire consuming them in 2003.

Kudos to MOTU for the excellent compatibility they've preserved in DP!
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 14.5 • DP 11.32
iGirl

Post by iGirl »

Thanks for the replies! it sounds hopeful - sort of. The 30 day eval would be a good way to go though I'm tempted to just get the DP10 on sale (just $299). If I can quickly figure out how to get the MIDI data out (maybe even in sync with audio in LPX), I might be able to do everything I need within that 30 days - then decide. Or get DP10 and then sell it when I'm done (or decide I like it again :-).

The resource fork thing might be an issue, which was a big concern. Permissions seem to remain OK at least on visual inspection. Don't care about plug ins - and yes synths are gone so I'd be starting from scratch rebuilding - but at least better than playing everything in again... some of the parts I wouldn't be able to figure out due to extensive manipulation in post!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

If you qualify fir Upgrade Pricing, that's only $195. You'll know if your older version shows up in your User Account—call them during the week if you can't log in.

Your serial number remains unchanged but you will get a new key code for 11 when you purchase. An upgrade purchase entitles you to Tech Support if earlier suggestions on accessing your files don't work.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
iGirl

Post by iGirl »

Just dropping back in with an update. I downloaded the demo of DP10 (because if I go ahead and purchase, it's going to be v10 (not 11, due to it costing $200 more).

Good news - I haven't had too many problems opening old projects (v3, 4, 5) even after years of moving things around HDD to HDD. Quite a few trashed audio files though.

Not so good - I guess was really disorganized in those days - somehow I have Project documents that have no MIDI inside of them....and seem to be looking for a stereo audio (mix) - almost everything I did in those days was MIDI, so I'm scratching my head to figure out what I did. I didn't do much audio recording inside DP - it was mostly all Performer sequences (without the Digital part).... along with SMPTE and an analog tape machine scheme. I might have to go back and look for some sequences on floppy or CD backups to find the originals :-(

More good news - Getting back into Performer isn't nearly as alien as using Logic. Ironically some of it is just more, logical (pun unavoidable!) to me. There's still some familiarity even after decades away I guess - though I do struggle with the super tiny fonts in my old age, ha... I'll be able to convert the Projects that are functioning properly within the trial period - so that could save be from buying it outright. Ultimately if many Projects don't have the MIDI in them any more it will save me all that time I would have spent on the restoration project.

Mostly solved I guess, thanks again for the assist1
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

iGirl wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 2:23 pmif I go ahead and purchase, it's going to be v10 (not 11, due to it costing $200 more).
That doesn’t sound right. Did you check with sales@motu.com?
2018 Mini i7 32G macOS 12.6, DP 11.32, Mixbus 10, Logic 10.7, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

bayswater wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:18 pm
iGirl wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 2:23 pmif I go ahead and purchase, it's going to be v10 (not 11, due to it costing $200 more).
Exactly. At the risk of posting the same thing 3x now: If your copy of DP 5 is still registered to you, the upgrade is $195. Email your serial number and ask or call MOTU during East Coast time to find out. BTW, your DP 5 manual will have your Key Code in it, not your Serial Number which never changes. MOTU Sales will be able to look up your account by serial number or whatever email you used at the time as well as by name. They do pick up the phone and are good about returning calls if you leave a message.

If purchasing a used license for DP 10 and the license is still registered to someone else, that's going to cause problems after the 30 day evaluation.
iGirl

Post by iGirl »

Thanks - Yes, I no longer have any active registrations (not qualified to upgrade) so I'm starting from scratch at retail level. Best available price I've found for a brand new DP10 - $299 (tempting) - and $499 for DP11.
At the risk of posting the same thing 3x
Apologies - I thought for sure I had responded but apparently not - no upgrade path available. Pretty sure my DP registration was transferred or sold long ago. Thanks.