ICON Platform M+

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
FlikPat
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

ICON Platform M+

Post by FlikPat »

Apologies in advance for another Control Surface thread. As Digital Performer is still subjugated to the "Island of Misfit Toys" among control surface manufacturers, I wanted to see if anyone used an ICOn Platform M+ with DP10?

I'm about to throw my old Mackie Control across the studio and just need a hardware piece that gives me faders, basic transport, pan and automation.
It appears the M+ does most of these things but curious if it does indeed handle automation fader moves (volume)? I'd prefer to go with a more trusted brand like SSL but who knows if the UF8 will ever gain better compatibility with DP.

I have the fantasy that MOTU will create their own integrated CS but the months are becoming years and I need something new to function. So to reiterate does anyone know if the ICON Platform M+ has integrated automation?
pencilina

Re: ICON Platform M+

Post by pencilina »

I've used one for a while. It's fine to grab faders and do volume and pan moves. I can't for the life of me figure out how to get rotaries assigned to fx sends. Jog implementation is confusing, kind of sucks and is basically useless. Its fairly well made and sturdy and has a relatively small footprint. Once and a while I don't hear volume moves that are being written until playback. This has happened across systems and different version of DP and MOTU tech support has assured me that it couldn't possibly be DP at fault (I'm being sarcastic). I doubt any non-mackie controller is going to be any better or that it's going to be operationally better then your Mackie Control unless MOTU or ICON suddenly makes some tweaks for improved controller integration.
Last edited by pencilina on Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Latest DP, Gigabyte Designaire z390 i9 Hackintosh 32G Ram, Lucid ADA88192, RME FF800 and FF802 on M1 MPB, Ventura, and a Pencilina
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

I use an Icon Platform-M control surface (didn't know there was a "+" version out). It works great with DP using the standard Mackie Control protocol... faders, solo, mute, pan pots, transport... they all work great. I haven't felt the need to do any programming. It does all I need right out of the box.

I still do automation in DP, but the faders follow flawlessly. (Say that three times fast.)

I agree that the jog control is useless, but aren't they all kind of useless in a digital studio? Jogging tape made sense, but this, not so much.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
pencilina

Post by pencilina »

sorry, in my last reply I wrote "pans" instead of sends.
If anyone know how to connect the rotaries to sends PLEASE chime in. thx
Latest DP, Gigabyte Designaire z390 i9 Hackintosh 32G Ram, Lucid ADA88192, RME FF800 and FF802 on M1 MPB, Ventura, and a Pencilina
FlikPat

Post by FlikPat »

Thanks for the feedback everyone. It seems like this will pretty much work for what I need it to do. Quick follow up, will the jogwheel at least "advance" measures in the tracks window? That's pretty much all I use it for on the Mackie.

I've heard rumblings that UA has some kind of control surface in the works and part of me wants to wait and see however that'll probably be the same story as the SSL. While I love my MOTU 16A's and have spent the past 20 years on DP, I'm tempted to make a move like everyone else I know has. I work in TV/Advertising music (and own one of the bigger boutique libraries), I used to work with many composers that use DP, and now of the 100+ composers on our custom team, there's one other DP user. The only thing holding me back is I love having my interfaces work so seamlessly with my main DAW. I've tried LUNA and (at least now) it's not for me, I've never loved ProTools' MIDI capabilities and while Logic is fine, I just miss DP features when I'm using it.

I used to not mind DP being the 3rd most popular DAW but now it's not even in the stock list of compatible DAWS for most hardware and accessories.
pencilina

Post by pencilina »

I'm not in my studio but It seemed like you have to click on the timeline and then push and turn the jogwheel (or some stupid pointless time consuming step like that that negates its convivence). I did it a few times and gave up. Your mileage may vary. I'm curious, as DP's market share demise is discussed here on other threads, which DAWs seem like the ship most of your colleagues have jumped to? (My guess would be protools and logic). Also, I don't think interface and daw functionality is as brand connected as it used to be. I've used an RME with DP for years and I've used motu HW for numerous installation applications with different SW and OSes with no significant issues. I wouldn't let that stop you if you feel like its time to move on.
FlikPat

Post by FlikPat »

pencilina wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 11:45 am I'm not in my studio but It seemed like you have to click on the timeline and then push and turn the jogwheel (or some stupid pointless time consuming step like that that negates its convivence). I did it a few times and gave up. Your mileage may vary. I'm curious, as DP's market share demise is discussed here on other threads, which DAWs seem like the ship most of your colleagues have jumped to? (My guess would be protools and logic). Also, I don't think interface and daw functionality is as brand connected as it used to be. I've used an RME with DP for years and I've used motu HW for numerous installation applications with different SW and OSes with no significant issues. I wouldn't let that stop you if you feel like its time to move on.
Thanks for the info! I'd say most of our composers who used to use DP have gone to Logic, with a few actually going to Cubase. A few also tell me ProTools' MIDI is far better than it used to be. I think I'm just looking for excuses to not have to learn a new DAW. I have a UA Apollo for my portable rig and actually tried Luna, which took me 20 mins to figure out how to choose a track source.

Back to a control surface, the reality is I actually like the Mackie Control and I have an old one. However the fact that they aren't supported anymore makes me hesitant to buy a new one and then wonder if it'll work with DP 11 when it comes out. From my limited exchanges with MOTU employees, they don't give me the indication that they particularly care about the lack of Control Surface options or support. Even the fact that "DAW Control" is the only iPad app that remotely works as a remote is pathetic. If MOTU just stepped it up a bit in the Control Surface dept, I'd never even thinking about using another DAW.
pencilina

Post by pencilina »

Copy. IMO, Unless you need a smaller footprint I’d stick with the Mackie until it dies. It’s the devil you know and The HUI protocol is the crucial thing.
darrell

Post by darrell »

Great thread!