MOTU DP Webinars Not Posted

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
JSmith1234567
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

MOTU DP Webinars Not Posted

Post by JSmith1234567 »

I know this was discussed last year;

https://www.motunation.com/forum/viewto ... rs#p578242

but is there any other place to find the archive of DP webinars?

MOTU seems to still not be posting any of them at all?
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.31, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro, Tanqueray or Bombay Sapphire.
bjornln

Re: MOTU DP Webinars Not Posted

Post by bjornln »

JSmith1234567 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:18 am I know this was discussed last year;

No, not yet. It's a question of manpower editing video vs 100's of 2-3 hour webinars.

Best,
/B
Macmini M1 | Motu 828mk3 x 1 | 2 x Motu M64 & SSL XLogic Alpha-Link MADI AX | 2 x Motu MTP AV | OSX 12.6.x | DP 11.x | Mach5 3.x.x | 2xiLok | 2xUAD quad dsp card | Altiverb 7.x | SoundToys | Nomad factory | PSP | Arturia V-collection | Korg VI's |
and loads n' loads n' loads n' loads n' loads o' stuff.
JSmith1234567

Post by JSmith1234567 »

bjornln wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:09 am
JSmith1234567 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:18 am I know this was discussed last year;

No, not yet. It's a question of manpower editing video vs 100's of 2-3 hour webinars.

Best,
/B
OK Thanks!
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.31, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro, Tanqueray or Bombay Sapphire.
dwilliams
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by dwilliams »

Hmmmm. I don't know if I buy this. I want my new DP release to be sure but these things are gold. It's been months. Years even. Just throw them up raw, whatever streamed.
Krakadon
aka Dave Williams
Rock, metal, Camas, WA

* 15" Mid-2019 MBP 2.4 GHz 8-core i9, 32GB RAM, Ventura 13.6.5. TB: UA Apollo QuadFW w/TB card, Satellite OctoTB2 & OctoTB3, PreSonus Quantum 4848 TB2; USB 2.0: Ext USB3 drives, Fractal Audio Axe-Fx III , Revv Generator 120 MK3; USB 3.0: Stream Deck XL, M Audio Oxygen 49, Akai MPD218, Console One Mk3, SSL UC1, X-Touch U; HDMI: 34" 16:9 & 32" 2K Monitors
* DP 11.31
JSmith1234567

Post by JSmith1234567 »

I do wish they would just put them up on YouTube.

They don't need to be edited?

I actually don't like watching YouTube music technical videos, but the MOTU ones I would actually like to see.
Jeffsarge

Post by Jeffsarge »

They should probably just take down the ones labeled "coming soon" and post them when they're ready.
There is a backlog of almost a year's worth of "coming soon" material and it just looks bad.
Maxxy

Post by Maxxy »

I agree that DP feels neglected here …The Webinar section of MOTU website says “Coming Soon” … more than a year later now how does it feel that the Coming Soon remains up and unattended to?

I felt the Webinar sessions reached out … they try to inform and attract potential new users... great! …. with more advanced users in the DP community also participating …professional insights, helpful feedback, communal cameraderie, They are clearly very popular…

It felt like a breath of fresh air … And it is!! ( : IF you can catch the live webinars !

This question has been put frequently and quite forcefully…. “Why can’t the Webinars be put up on-line…in some reasonable time?” Alternatively one could equally ask “Why are the last years worth of Webinars labelled as ‘Coming Soon’ when clearly they aren’t?

I myself can attend very few … it is an awkward timezone to catch live every time . and it is a frustration that they can’t be put up on-line quite soon after … I’d love to be able to access them at another time

But… maybe there are copyright issues with artists who contribute? … As it runs live there may well be utterances or expletives that contributors would not want repeated... not want written into historical on-line stone! .. Off-the-cuff banter is certainly part of the joy of the live Webinar experience! ( : So that’s one big …and difficult…edit no?

Also… the Webinars don’t always stick precisely to form. ….Matt helps every participant as best he can….even when the questions wander somewhat off-topic. So it may be somewhat misleading to put a Webinar lesson name on it … . The Webinars are really starting points that often head off onto various happy tangents….. Matt is a superb educator … but I would imagine he would much prefer to present a focussed DP lesson from scratch rather than have the whole Webinar Zoom conference back-and-forth be put up as an official DP video educational tool!!…. They aren’t that! ( : And to satisfactorily edit these Webinars into shape??? gosh….

bjornln wrote: ↑
Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:09 am
JSmith1234567 wrote: ↑
Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:18 am
I know this was discussed last year;

The Webinars tend to run to about 90 mins… I agree that it would be a lot of work to edit

They should probably just take down the ones labeled "coming soon" and post them when they're ready.
There is a backlog of almost a year's worth of "coming soon" material and it just looks bad.

… it does look bad… Under-supported? neglected? under-funded? ?? ? Whatever the case, I feel this page sends the wrong message… ) : Hello? Webinars Coming Soon... or Not?

If a picture paints a thousand words then silence paints a thousand pictures ) :

I hope MOTU pursue this because the webinars are very helpful … I find Matt or the group always has some new trick or working angle that I hadn’t cottoned onto… I really love the Webinars I do catch . ( :

Maxxy
Mac mini 2023 M2 Pro, 32g RAM, LG 32UD99 4k monitor on HDMI, OSX 13.6.1, DP 11.31, MOTU TB AVB 16A w/AVB Monitor 8 on ethernet cable, UAD Apollo x8, Netstor TB3 PCIe card expansion w/ UAD-2... 1 x Octo and 2 x Quad cards (not using much because I looove >), Softube Console 1 MkIII & Fader Control
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

I hope they at least get around to the more obscure ones. Glenn Workman is an OG beta tester for DP who did a webinar on custom hardware patch lists for core MIDI that aired the same day Apple announced their own silicon and the M1 macs, so I missed it. There's a couple other ones that are technical I would love to see up. Ones showing obscure areas of DP.

Hopefully they get some of them up at some point, there are over 100 of them though, so likely we see snippets posted rather than full episodes.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
bdr

Post by bdr »

The only issue is that MOTU believes it’s more important to have them nicely edited than to allow their customers access to them. I have had many back and forwards with them regarding this, and it’s been made very clear this is the main issue. They all take place in the middle of the night in Australia, and there have been quite a few that I’ve really wanted access to as its relevant to issues and workflow I’m looking at in my studio. Sure, the webinars are great if you can catch them, but it’s completely disrespectful to their time zone challenged long time customers to basically say bad luck.

Ive found this whole episode to be extremely dispiriting, there have been no other organisations that I’ve been interested in that have not uploaded webinars and whatever within days of the live event. MOTU is giving the finger to us.
Mac 2.8 8-core, 20 GB RAM, Mac 10.9, DP 8, EWQLSO Platinum Play, Mach V II, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer, AIR, Absynth 5, Plectrum, CronoX, Albino3, RMV, cup of tea.
Michael Canavan

bdr wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:14 pm The only issue is that MOTU believes it’s more important to have them nicely edited than to allow their customers access to them. I have had many back and forwards with them regarding this, and it’s been made very clear this is the main issue. They all take place in the middle of the night in Australia, and there have been quite a few that I’ve really wanted access to as its relevant to issues and workflow I’m looking at in my studio. Sure, the webinars are great if you can catch them, but it’s completely disrespectful to their time zone challenged long time customers to basically say bad luck.

Ive found this whole episode to be extremely dispiriting, there have been no other organisations that I’ve been interested in that have not uploaded webinars and whatever within days of the live event. MOTU is giving the finger to us.
I don't have any other brands I use that are doing webinars at all, but I feel you, it would be great if MOTU got off their ass with this.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
nk_e

Post by nk_e »

I caught many of them in the first month or three, but I have not been able to attend a webinar in a little while now. From what I remember there were more than a few “a ha” moments in them.

Steinberg just posts their raw Cubase YouTube “meet ups” hosted by Greg Ondo within a few hours of broadcast. Some of these are several hours long. Often, there is a lot of redundancy with content in other videos, but usually somebody (from the user community I think) will contribute a list of links and titles to different subjects covered in the video within a couple of days. The links make it easy to scan the content and pick and choose what you want to see. The effect is to make each video an incredible reference resource for the community.

This approach minimizes the amount of staff time involved and makes the info available to the user community very quickly.

So what is the priority here, marketing and image or community support?

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

groove

Post by groove »

Michael Canavan wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:46 am I don't have any other brands I use that are doing webinars at all, but I feel you, it would be great if MOTU got off their ass with this.
Universal Audio is a model for this. For a year now, the "Luna Office Hours" webinars for LUNA recording software are live-streamed on a regular basis and immediately post on the Universal Audio YouTube channel. Most of the webinars are an hour, an hour and a half long. Episode #1 launch last April, during the pandemic. March 8 saw episode # 88.

When I saw the first MOTU webinar appear, I was exited as I naively thought they took their inspiration from UA.
---------
iMac Pro 3 GHz 10-Core Xeon E5, 64GB ram OS X 10.15.7, UA Apollo 8 Quad + Satellite Quad, UA 2192, Waves V12, LASS Full, VSL, Korg MS-20, Elektron A4, Moog SlimPhatty, NI Komplete13, ROLI, Soundtoys 5, Arturia V Collection, GForce Oddity, Serum.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Michael Canavan wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:46 amI don't have any other brands I use that are doing webinars at all, but I feel you, it would be great if MOTU got off their ass with this.
I gave them the benefit of the doubt for a while, thinking other priorities too over, but it's just way to long. Its not as if you can watch 200 hours of DP tutorials on Groove3 like you can with Logic. They really need these out there. By time we get them, they'll likely need updating to cover all the new stuff in V11.
2018 Mini i7 32G macOS 12.6, DP 11.32, Mixbus 10, Logic 10.7, Scarlett 18i8
Michael Canavan

bayswater wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:49 pm
Michael Canavan wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:46 amI don't have any other brands I use that are doing webinars at all, but I feel you, it would be great if MOTU got off their ass with this.
I gave them the benefit of the doubt for a while, thinking other priorities too over, but it's just way to long. Its not as if you can watch 200 hours of DP tutorials on Groove3 like you can with Logic. They really need these out there. By time we get them, they'll likely need updating to cover all the new stuff in V11.
That might be the best explanation as to why we aren't getting them out now. All releases are TBD as far as what features will make the release without resulting in a buggy release. They might not know what parts or webinars to skip so we aren't getting old information.

I'm able to make tomorrows webinar, I'll bring it up with Matt.
MW1

Post by MW1 »

As someone else pointed out, Steinberg manage to bang out two 3-4 hour Cubase live streams per week (!!!) plus plenty of other material.
Meanwhile, Presonus are killing it with Studio One videos and of course there's no end of 3rd party Logic content available.

By contrast, the official MOTU youtube channel (MotuTV) is a sad place indeed - a few Performer Lite videos from 5 months ago but for the last DP content you have to wind back 8 months for the first few (lo-res) Webinar videos - and that's basically it.

I don't know if MOTU will ever get round to putting up the backlog of webinar footage but I fear the moment has probably passed.

I hope MOTU can produce a rabbit out of the hat for an Apple Silicon compatible release (DP 11?) - otherwise I think DP will struggle to find a new generation of users.