DP9 - recall continuous data lane views!

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
kdm
Primary DAW OS: Windows

DP9 - recall continuous data lane views!

Post by kdm »

I'm demoing DP9 on my Surface, and found that there is a long list of key commands to recall continuous data/controller lanes in the MIDI editor and in place in the sequencer! This is a feature I posted about a year ago that is a time-saver for me in my other DAW (and will be in DP as well). Maybe I missed this in 8, but I presume it's new in 9?
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP9 - recall continuous data lane views!

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Lanes are new in DP9.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
kdm

Post by kdm »

Lanes are new to the Sequencer view, but there are now also key commands to select which CC controller is visible in the MIDI editor. Previously (as far as I know) we had to mouse click to select the active controller to edit/view. The new key commands also apply to the new lanes and to in-place editing of MIDI tracks in the Sequencer as well. There are also key commands to cycle through the visible controller in the MIDI Editor.
MIDI Life Crisis

You're welcome. What's your point?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
kdm

Post by kdm »

I just thought someone else might be interested in this new feature. Coming from another DAW where this was a big workflow enhancement, I thought it was good to see it in DP as well. My apologies.
MIDI Life Crisis

Selection of data type as you discovered, came in with the lanes feature. It is a big time saver for many. Thanks for the follow up. :)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

kdm, I'm sure some will appreciate your bringing this to the "surface", if you'll excuse the pun.

Thank you for doing this.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
Booter
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Booter »

How is DP on the surface? Does it work well?
Digital Performer 2.7 - 8.0, Logic 9, PT 8, MacBook Pro Core i7 16 gig, Quad Mac Pro 6 gig, Mac Mini 2 gig, Roland XP-50, Kurzweil K2000, MOTU 2408 MK3, MOTU Mach 5 II, Ethno
kdm

Post by kdm »

It does work well on the whole - it is stable and just as responsive as on the desktop. The main problem is using the internal Windows driver instead of a normal ASIO driver/interface and it's locked to 2048 latency, which means a noticeable delay before playback starts. There are also a few minor graphic issues - the DP opening screen comes up blank now - it didn't when I first installed, so not sure what happened. I've also had Win10's split screen function confuse DP and DP wouldn't resize to full screen. Dropping it into a split screen again solved that though.

It is usable, but on a smaller screen, DP's small text and GUI elements are that much smaller, so it can be an eye strain.

The pen works rather well with Quickscribe - I'm thinking of adding a keypad to enter note values and using the pen for quick notation/writing when I'm out of the studio. I also have StaffPad on the Surface for that, so not sure which will be faster.

But so far I've only used DP on the Surface for reference and haven't put it to use on a normal project.