MIDI velocity in Seq Window

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
suke
Primary DAW OS: Windows

MIDI velocity in Seq Window

Post by suke »

Hi all this is my first post here at Motunation. Just started using DP8 about a week ago, I've used Cubase for the last 15 years and Pro Tools for the last 2 years. I'm still trying to get my head around DP's workflow.

Is there a way to not view velocity in MIDI tracks in the sequence window without having to turn them off globally in the view filter?

It's so cluttered looking at all of the little v's

I'm still trying to figure out why there are no MIDI "containers" like there is for audio (and in Cubase and PT). I'm having a hard time adjusting to one continuous MIDI track. Makes it so much more tedious copying and moving musical ideas around

Thanks for your time.
ADK Quad pro, 16GBram, 3xHD RME Multiface, Win7, DP8, PT11, Cubase 6.5
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: MIDI velocity in Seq Window

Post by stubbsonic »

We were just discussing this "containers" thing on a recent thread. DP just works differently. If you have little ideas you want to reuse or copy & paste, you get good at selecting and moving data in different ways.

Clippings are useful.

Also, you can look at the Song Edit window as a way of arranging whole sequence chunks. But it obviously isn't the same thing.

DP is really good at working in different and versatile ways, but for people who like dragging and dropping little chunklets around, it doesn't quite work that way. The tracks overview is pretty good for grabbing stuff you need and moving it, but BECAUSE it doesn't make choices about where the boundaries are, you ultimately have way more control. But yea, for switching from another workflow, you'll feel frustrated at first.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

suke wrote:Is there a way to not view velocity in MIDI tracks in the sequence window without having to turn them off globally in the view filter?
Look at the dividing bar between the note display and the bottom of the screen showing velocity and controllers. At the left end is a small dot. Drag that down to hide the bottom part of the screen. If for some reason you want to keep the bottom visible, set it to show something else. Maybe a controller that's not being used.

As for containers: if you have nothing to do for a couple of months, do a search here for MIDI Regions, and read the endless debate. If you concentrate on posts by Shooshie, you'll see a number of selection and cursor techniques that deal with MIDI effectively. I made frequent use of MIDI Parts in Cubase but having learned to use the tools DP provides, I'm losing interest.
2018 Mini i7 32G macOS 12.6, DP 11.32, Mixbus 10, Logic 10.7, Scarlett 18i8
b.g.

Post by b.g. »

suke wrote:Is there a way to not view velocity in MIDI tracks in the sequence window without having to turn them off globally in the view filter?
No.
MacBook Pro retina 2015, i7, 16GB, DP 10, M4
frankf

Post by frankf »

Bayswater, OP is asking about sequence editor. What you are describing is for MIDI editor, no? BG is correct for SE.

Frank Ferrucci
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

frankf wrote:Bayswater, OP is asking about sequence editor. What you are describing is for MIDI editor, no? BG is correct for SE.

Frank Ferrucci
Sorry, yes, I was talking about the MIDI Editor. Now I understand the question, my Groucho Marx answer is "don't look at MIDI in the SE".
suke

Post by suke »

Thanks for all of the replies guys. And I figured you couldnt turn off the velocities in the Seq window. I just figured since the grahpics for velocities are so small to begin with that most folks must edit them in the dedicated MIDI editor instead of the seq window as well as you can tell the velocity by its shade, so I wasnt sure what the need for the velocities in the Seq window was.
And this whole thing about MIDI "containers" is interesting. I'll have to read up when I have more time as to why it's set up like this. I was maybe hoping I could do this type of editing in the TO but I can't seem to even use the scissor tool to cut up MIDI or even the snap to grid when trying to paste.
Groove3 has been a great help learning DP as well some other videos I've found. I just need to keep searching to find a usable workflow. Thanks for your patience
ADK Quad pro, 16GBram, 3xHD RME Multiface, Win7, DP8, PT11, Cubase 6.5
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Yes, if you're going to do a lot of MIDI editing in the TO, you really need to read Shooshie's posts in the tips and tricks thread. The scissor tool cuts individual MIDI notes and does it in the other edit windows. It doesn't cut up the things you see in the TO -- they're not really objects anyway, just a visual grouping of what DP thinks might be musical phrases.

There is no snap to grid, there is relative snap to grid (another very long thread on this if you do a search). If you hold the command key down and move objects this relative snap is overridden, and you can move things freely and drop them on the grid eyeballing the note positions. If an absolute position for a note is required, you'd have quantize it, use the shift command, an info window, the event editor, or one of the many places you can enter a specific time or musical position.
CQrity

Post by CQrity »

I'm still trying to figure out why there are no MIDI "containers" like there is for audio (and in Cubase and PT). I'm having a hard time adjusting to one continuous MIDI track. Makes it so much more tedious copying and moving musical ideas around
We were just discussing this "containers" thing on a recent thread. DP just works differently. If you have little ideas you want to reuse or copy & paste, you get good at selecting and moving data in different ways.
I recently had the same problem, heres the tread:
http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 30&t=59140

Actually the Track View is what you are looking for. It works quite well if you get used to it, just requires some time. Its kinda weird that it behaves only relative to the grid. Maybe it helps to think about it like a macro view. The micro view would be the MIDI Editor. You have to Quantize and move around single notes in here. Once you got your pattern right you can go to the macro view with TO (Track Overview) and move the block (or several blocks, depands on how DP arranges those blocks) around.
That it always stays relative to the grid is really cool (I like it a lot after playing around with it).
If you holding Alt you can copy-drag those blocks. Quite usefull. :)