MIDI enhancement in DP 8 (?)

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
antongiulio
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MIDI enhancement in DP 8 (?)

Post by antongiulio »

Dears all,
i'm just waiting for DP8 upgrade.
I have a little question :is the MIDI in DP 8 improved or changed ?
I can't found any information about.
Thanks
Elio
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: MIDI enhancement in DP 8 (?)

Post by Elio »

Ciao,installato da poco fondamentalmente no tranne che con i nuovi themes (Deluxe ) una migliore visualizzazione del piano roll.
antongiulio

Post by antongiulio »

Grazie.
So, nothing new as you've posted.
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

What "improvements" in MIDI in DP are you looking for? DP has long been
the "king" of MIDI implementation among all the DAW's. I personally can't think of anything MIDI-wise that DP needs an "improvement" on.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

David Polich wrote:I personally can't think of anything MIDI-wise that DP needs an "improvement" on.
Cue the can of worms. :deadhorse:
2018 Mini i7 32G macOS 12.6, DP 11.32, Mixbus 10, Logic 10.7, Scarlett 18i8
antongiulio

Post by antongiulio »

Hi, i mean for example the chance to click on a region or a note on the score and mirror directly in the MIDI editor without manually selecting the region/track.
The chance to place by command the playhead at the beginning or end of MIDI event, placing MIDI events or region to playhead, selective solo, solo lock etc.....
MIDI regions, simplified V.I. management ( 1 track instead of 2 ).
Etc.
Dwetmaster

Post by Dwetmaster »

RTFM
These request are either:
In DP right now, or have been :deadhorse: like there'S no tomorrow. (MIDI regions, one track VIs, etc...)
These things are not in DP right now.
MacPro 8Core 2.8GHZ 16GB RAM OSX10.8.3
MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 2011 OSX10.8.3
896mk3, BLA Modded 896HD, BLA Microclock, MTP-AV, Yamaha KX-8, CME VX-7 Mackie Ctrl, megadrum, Presonus C-S,
DP8.04, Bidule, M5 3, Ethno 2, BPM 1.5 Kontakt4, BFD2, SD2, Omnisphere, Wave Arts P-S5, Altiverb7, PSP VW & OldTimer, VB3, Ivory 2 Grand, True Pianos, Ozone 5, Reason 4, AmpliTube3, Bla bla bla...
A few El & Ac basses & Guitars, Hammond A-100.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

antongiulio wrote:Hi, i mean for example the chance to click on a region or a note on the score and mirror directly in the MIDI editor without manually selecting the region/track.
The chance to place by command the playhead at the beginning or end of MIDI event, placing MIDI events or region to playhead, selective solo, solo lock etc.....
Etc.
You need to spend time RTFM... You can do many of those things already.

Do you really feel VI management is too complicated? How much simpler do you want it? Have you considered all the benefits we have from having 2 tracks for VIs?

It's not only about simplicity! Garage Band is quite simple. Would you rather have DP be a toy DAW or a fullly-blown professional DAW? Features come with a price: a little more complication. But the balance we have with DP seems perfect to me.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

antongiulio wrote:Hi, i mean for example the chance to click on a region or a note on the score and mirror directly in the MIDI editor without manually selecting the region/track.
Etc.
Oh ok...you want it to work like a combination of Logic and Cubase, it seems.

Why not just say "I want it to work like (fill in choice of DAW here).
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Maybe a little analogy might help our friends who are under the perception that DP is somehow a tool lacking ease and power or if it seems 'too complicated.'

Let's say you want to build a house. You buy a hammer and some nails. You can choose a hammer that's very light and your arm won't get tired too fast, but you have to hit the nails more often and sometimes the nails won't be sunk deep enough to keep the project together.

Get a sledge hammer and you can sink the nail in one shot but you're probably going to split a lot of wood and your accuracy will suffer.

Get a good carpenter's claw hammer and you're going to have accuracy, relative ease, and the ability to pull the nails you decide you don't need.

Lightweight DAWs are like the mini hammer. They get the job done, more or less, but can't handle a serious project very well or completely.

Top heavy DAWs like PT are more like a sledge hammer. They can get the job done, but tend to be geared more toward a very specific kind of project and more towards recording than composing or arranging, especially via MIDI.

DP Is, IMO, more like the carpenter's hammer; more accurately, like a complete toolbox. It does what the other two kinds of DAWs do but offer much more flexibility. It can build a table, a house, or a whole city and just as well if not better (in terms of the tools and their flexibility).

As with any tool, it only works as well as the skills of the person using it. That is usually the result of learning how to do that and in the case of a tool as complex as DP or PT, that usually means: RTFM.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

bayswater wrote:
David Polich wrote:I personally can't think of anything MIDI-wise that DP needs an "improvement" on.
Cue the can of worms.
:deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse:

This is the "beat a dead horse to death" thread. :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse:

:deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse:

Sorry, but the Can-O-Worms thread is down the page a bit.

:rtfmmad: :rtfm: :rtfmmad: :rtfm: :rtfmmad:

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

Methinks, that Shooshie has been sipping on the bubbly! :D
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

buzzsmith wrote:Methinks, that Shooshie has been sipping on the bubbly! :D
Methinks Shooshie would do well to start sipping on some bubbly!

I'll let you know when it's just me and my bari sax, playing Auld Lang Syne ad-infinitum. :headbang:
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

buzzsmith wrote:Methinks Shooshie would do well to start sipping on some bubbly!
Shooshie wrote:I'll let you know when it's just me and my bari sax, playing Auld Lang Syne ad-infinitum.
"Buzzy"
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Hot buttered rum in this corner of the cornie field. Mmmmmm....
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS