DP8 (or next version) speculation?

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
hrw
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by hrw »

I've enjoyed noting how East West have been forthcoming (although it's been a long time) with their news of PLAY 3. I wish MOTU would also discuss their progress on the next exciting DP update/s to come. eg. what aspects they're working on, listening to suggestions. I guess also that East West run their own forum. i know Mr. Steele does one heck of a job though.
Their general quiet has always been this way though, yes?
I guess i'm just too curious.
Computer/s: OSX 10.8.3

2 x 2.66 GHz Mac Pro Quad-Core Intel Xeon w/ 16GB RAM,

DAW:DP8.05
Hardware: Apogee Duet
VI's/Plug-ins:
Kontakt 5.1, EW PLAY Libraries and a
million others.
dix

Re: DP8 (or next version) speculation?

Post by dix »

Their general quiet has always been this way, yes!
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Most companies also do that as do many movie and TV producers, car companies, and pretty much every entity in any sort of competitive situation. There are plenty of reasons for this and very few reasons not to do so.

Just because you want to know is not really a highly motivating reason to divulge research and development conditions.

While we're on the subject, I think you should tell us here and now, all your great ideas for any songs, lyrics, plays, movies, and TV shows you might be working on.

See what I'm sayin' ... just!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

I don't know why people continue to post questions about "the next version" of anything. Anyone who works for a company is under a non-disclosure agreement and wouldn't blab about upcoming products anyway. What makes anyone
think that people on this forum would know anything about future DP developments? And if any of us did, do you think we'd risk legal trouble
by spilling the beans?

I wake up each morning and work with my system "as it is". I don't waste
time wondering why it "doesn't do this or that".
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

dix wrote:
Their general quiet has always been this way, yes!

I think their general quiet has always been there......

Ps

I like it
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
adriano

Post by adriano »

kassonica wrote:

Ps

I like it
I like it too
"DP is like a box of chocolate. You never know what you're gonna get."

Adriano
iMac9,1, 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8GB-RAM, 10.9.5
DP 8.07, 828MKIII, Keys-Fantom X8, XV-88. Key

SampleTank v2.5.4, Miroslav Philharmonik v1.1.2, SampleMoog v1.02, SampleTron v1.02, Sonik Synth 2 v2.1.1, Independence Pro v3.2.0126, EZDrummer 1.4, MDrummer Large 5.02, Komplete U9, Orchestral Essential 1, Orchestral Essential 2, Complete Orchestral Collection

Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence.
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

adriano wrote:
kassonica wrote:

Ps

I like it
I like it too

Adriano

But you know a lot of the time it's going to be good :wink:
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Not having a NDA I can say definitively if MOTU decides to keep it's current naming scheme, the next version of the app will be called Digital Performer 8. There will be issues, bugs, incompatibilities, and all sorts of individual problems. And the new features will include $/):):&:$:)::

Cool!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
adriano

Post by adriano »

David Polich wrote:I don't know why people continue to post questions about "the next version" of anything. Anyone who works for a company is under a non-disclosure agreement and wouldn't blab about upcoming products anyway. What makes anyone
think that people on this forum would know anything about future DP developments? And if any of us did, do you think we'd risk legal trouble
by spilling the beans?

I wake up each morning and work with my system "as it is". I don't waste
time wondering why it "doesn't do this or that".
Totally agree.
I say, just let it be. It's more fun when one day you open DP, the window pops up and it says "a new version of DP is available."
There have been quite a few posts about DP-8 lately and I believe the most recent one was locked.

Adriano

SampleTank v2.5.4, Miroslav Philharmonik v1.1.2, SampleMoog v1.02, SampleTron v1.02, Sonik Synth 2 v2.1.1, Independence Pro v3.2.0126, EZDrummer 1.4, MDrummer Large 5.02, Komplete U9, Orchestral Essential 1, Orchestral Essential 2, Complete Orchestral Collection

adriano

Post by adriano »

kassonica wrote:
adriano wrote:
kassonica wrote:

Ps

I like it
I like it too

Adriano

But you know a lot of the time it's going to be good :wink:
That's right. That's why I used that line :D

adriano

Post by adriano »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Not having a NDA I can say definitively if MOTU decides to keep it's current naming scheme, the next version of the app will be called Digital Performer 8. There will be issues, bugs, incompatibilities, and all sorts of individual problems. And the new features will include $/):):&:$:)::

Cool!
Correct, and the same goes for all other application' software.
When I first got on board (DP) 11 years ago, I thought it was the best and well thought out piece of software for composers and musicians of all kinds. Today, at version 7.22, it is the best version EVER.
I would like to see a few things added to speed up the work flow, but, if they are to be implemented at version 10, it's fine too. I lived without them until now anyway, and still did and do what I have to do.

Adriano

barreltone

Post by barreltone »

When I got a new machine recently, I installed DP6, thinking I would wait for DP 8 to upgrade. I just couldn't wait, and jumped in with DP 7.22.

I'm really happy with DP7. Really, really enjoying the present and discovering all of the new features while easily working with the established ones.

Oh, and I'm going through the manual and discovering things that I still have never used, but that could speed up my workflow.

All of this to say, I used to be anxious for the next version. Now I'm just enjoying this version and trying to get the most out of it. :)
Mac Pro 8 core Nehalem,OS X 10.6.8, MOTU 896HD, DP 7.24, Finale 2009, MSI, Izotope Trash, Spectron, Ozone 4, Alloy, Rx2
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I wonder who at MOTU would be considered "General Quiet." Whoever he is, he's been very effective at keeping his employees from talking.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
adriano

Post by adriano »

Shooshie wrote:I wonder who at MOTU would be considered "General Quiet." Whoever he is, he's been very effective at keeping his employees from talking.
Employees, are only as good as the leader.
Maybe, he/she is a "Do is I Do" and not as a "Do as I Say" kinda person :wink:

Adriano

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

This sort of topic always amazes me. Anyone who is familiar with MOTU know that they don't tip their hand about what their working on or their plans for future versions. It wouldn't actually be all that smart of them to tell their competitors. A company with more resources could fast track a similar feature and rush it to market and steal their thunder. Being hush-hush over the years has served them well.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.32, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!