One Mix setting for Multiple Sequences?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
JeffTronics
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

One Mix setting for Multiple Sequences?

Post by JeffTronics »

This question pertains to Audio editing.. not MIDI

Is there a way to have one global mix settings for bounce to disk (including pan and effects), for multiple sequences?

I have 10 sequences (i.e. 10 songs). And fortunately, because I used the same guitar and microphone the overall quality of recording is consistent among all the songs. The reason for individual sequences was for editing soundbites, and maybe an additional track for some.

For my Mix-down, will I have to set my mix levels for each sequence, or is there a way of have it handled through one mix?

I realize I can combine all 10 sequences into one, thus the mix settings will apply to all. But if there's another option I'd like to know about it.

Thanks in advance,

JeffTronics
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: One Mix setting for Multiple Sequences?

Post by FMiguelez »

If you want all your tracks to have the same I/O settings in all chunks, along with same volume, pan, plug-ins, automation, etc., just use templates. Or Clippings.
This way the only thing that changes between each chunk will be the actual soundbites.

But I'm sure this will give you only a starting point for each song... I seriously doubt one song's mix settings will work on all, even if the instrumentation and style is the same.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
JeffTronics

Post by JeffTronics »

Fmiguelez

Thanks. Yes, agreed. Using templates can especially be ideal to start out with the same settings. In my case the songs/sequences are already created.
I seriously doubt one song's mix settings will work on all, even if the instrumentation and style is the same
This too is a great point and I've learned over the years it makes it easier to mix down, when i can use the same equipment and settings.
zaratero

Post by zaratero »

When you have a rough mix, you can create an empty sequence with that mix setup (via duplicate and delete bites for example) then copy and paste all those sequences into this one and create new sequences via "new seq from selections".
If you are using very few channels remember channel presets as well.
http://www.cueaudio.org
Macpro 3.1 Octocore-16Gb RAM-OSX10.8 - DP 7.24
Macbook pro Core2Duo-4Gb RAM-OSX10.6 - DP 7.24
JeffTronics

Post by JeffTronics »

Zaratero,

Yes, given that I am at the rough-mix stage, I had some more time to think about a solution and came to the same conclusion. It's a good one because by the time I try and look for an alternative, what you're suggesting is a cleaner way to go.

Thanks, and I'm glad I checked in. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something in the DP features.

Thanks all,

JT
Tim

Post by Tim »

If the tracks match...

Get song #1 to where you want it.
Open song #2
Load song #1 into the song #2 project (don't load soundbites).
Copy song #2 tracks and paste into the song #1 chunk.
Schtiv

Post by Schtiv »

Tim wrote:If the tracks match...

Get song #1 to where you want it.
Open song #2
Load song #1 into the song #2 project (don't load soundbites).
Copy song #2 tracks and paste into the song #1 chunk.
Hi there,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think if we do this, DP does not remember your inputs, outputs, panning, levels etc? Because, in order to paste into your original sequence you have to have already created similar and thus 'default' tracks there.

I've been recording drums and bass and rhodes tracks, all in a line in the same sequence. As the session progresses I'm constantly tweaking, oops kick drum down a bit, pan that floor tom a little less to the right etc etc. When asked to put these instruments on an existing song we started a few weeks back, I scratch my head - yesterday I ended up taking a screen shot of the board and then manually and painstakingly recreated each track one by one. Surely there's a simpler way .... and the manuals so comprehensive I can't find anything :)
Macbook (M1) Pro 2021 | MacOS 12.6 | Digital Performer 11 with UA Apollo x8 & UA apollo twin | Sibelius 8 | Ableton Live 10 | , FabFilter, Soundtoys, Waves etc. | Adam, Neuman & Genelec Monitoring | Tube-Tech, TC, Lexicon 224XL, 480, PCM90 Outboard | Hardware & Software Synths. Tube-Tech, UA, Neve, SPL Pre's.