Silnet computer monitor?

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
Anders Peev
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Silnet computer monitor?

Post by Anders Peev »

I just bought a cheap LG monitor and realized that that I'd made bad trade since it gives a non-stop subtle tone. I'm taking it back to the store and then I'll be stuck with my old 15' CRT til I've found something silent.

What do you guys use? Are they quiet?

All the best/

Anders
resolectric
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Silnet computer monitor?

Post by resolectric »

Fujitsu Siemens, four of them all "On" simultaneously. Not a sound.
Maybe yours had a power supply problem.
They're usually silent.
Paulo Miranda - AMPstudio
Silence is the new loud.
©
Anders Peev

Post by Anders Peev »

Thanks for the swift reply, resolectric!

I had the LG swapped once and the second monitor had the exact same problem. What models of Fuijtsu Siemens do you use? Are they dead silent even if you lay your ear to the monitor?

/

Anders
resolectric

Post by resolectric »

Mine are models C19-6 and C19-3 (two of each).

I had never layed my ear on the monitors but i did now, since you asked :) ...they're dead silent.
I even flipped two of them to lay my ear on the back of the monitors, where the mains cable attaches to their back, and there's not even a "hum" sound. The Power Supply doesn't hum, in neither of the four, and it's an internal PS. The cable that attaches to them is the Mains cable, no external PS. Very practical.
Also, they don't get hot.
I have them for a few years already, they're not the latest model as you can see, and never had a problem.

Hope you can manage a solution. Try a different brand or a different model from the same brand.

Silence is the new loud.
©
Anders Peev

Post by Anders Peev »

This really helps me! Thanks for taking the time to do the ear-to-the screen-test! I will definitely check them out.
therealbigd

Post by therealbigd »

i hate to be the rich kid, but i have an apple 30" cinema... new aluminium one. i cant hear anything...
Just remember kiddies, You can't polish a turd.

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz 15" i5 + MBP 2.4 15" C2D, MOTU 828mkII FW (Logic 9), Wilson Benesch Arcs + Cyrus Amps; PMC DB1S+ & MC2 Amps; REL Acoustics Strata 5 Sub.
resolectric

Post by resolectric »

therealbigd wrote:i hate to be the rich kid, but i have an apple 30" cinema... new aluminium one. i cant hear anything...
That's an awesome screen!
If it wouldn't cover up my studio's control room window i would LOVE a Beovision 5 from Bang & Olufsen.
Don't know if they're noisy, though, but that thing is wonderful even when it's off :)

Silence is the new loud.
©
therealbigd

Post by therealbigd »

hmm how about 2? one for the arrange window, one for the mixer.

one either side of the control room window.

you could put a spectrum analyser on both and have the coolest hifi in the world.

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz 15" i5 + MBP 2.4 15" C2D, MOTU 828mkII FW (Logic 9), Wilson Benesch Arcs + Cyrus Amps; PMC DB1S+ & MC2 Amps; REL Acoustics Strata 5 Sub.
resolectric

Post by resolectric »

One on either side of the control room window, blocking the window, and each with a live image from the opposite side.
Also, the outside windows would be blocked by B&W screens with live images of wha'ts outside.
Just for the sake of being "cool" and "hi tech".
Silence is the new loud.
©
therealbigd

Post by therealbigd »

resolectric wrote: Also, the outside windows would be blocked by B&W screens with live images of wha'ts outside.
nah, thats not cool and hi tech, cool and hi tech is B&W screens streaming live images of what you wish was going on outside.
so on one side of the house, there would be a sunny beach with hot chicks in bikinis and loads of free beer in the fridge. on another side, woodstock festival being relived with a re-incarnation of Hendrix. and on the third, a massive driveway featuring 7 sports cars, a limo and a helicopter.

no?

resolectric

Post by resolectric »

therealbigd wrote:
resolectric wrote: Also, the outside windows would be blocked by B&W screens with live images of wha'ts outside.
nah, thats not cool and hi tech, cool and hi tech is B&W screens streaming live images of what you wish was going on outside.
so on one side of the house, there would be a sunny beach with hot chicks in bikinis and loads of free beer in the fridge. on another side, woodstock festival being relived with a re-incarnation of Hendrix. and on the third, a massive driveway featuring 7 sports cars, a limo and a helicopter.

no?
This is now starting to sound like one of those psychology tests of relating pictures with words, sort of "say whatever comes to mind first".
Here it goes:
. sunny beach with hot chicks in bikinis and loads of free beer in the fridge > Aphex Twin "Windowlicker".
. a massive driveway featuring 7 sports cars, a limo and a helicopter > Jamiroquai "Cosmic Girl"

As for the others, no idea. Yet... :wink:
Silence is the new loud.
©