Marker sets?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
grimepoch
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Marker sets?

Post by grimepoch »

No...not like crayola! :)

When I am working in DP saying doing vocals in my vocal booth, I use the Tranzport to move around between markers.

I've never thought of it before, but does DP have the functionality to have different sets of markers? That way, I want to save a set with markers maybe indicating things I want to fix. Another set that I use to set points I want to start playback when I am rerecording verses or choruses?

I find myself adding/deleting a lot of them and I'd rather keep them.
[MacPro-4x2.66/7G/OSX10.5.2 - 2x896HD - ADA8000 - Lucid Genx6 - DP5.13 - Logic 8.02 - 2xUAD1e - ExpressXT - Mach5 - MX4 - Korg LegD - impOSCar - Battery3 - uTonic - Rapture - DimPro - Vanguard - Reaktor5 - Absynth4 - FM8 - Pro53 - Vokator - Waldorf Ed - Addictive Drums - Melodyne - Ultra Analog - Zebra2 - WaveArts - - Altiverb - Etc. ]
[Virus TI - Virus B - Waldorf Q - Waldorf uwXT - Supernova II - Nord Rack 3 - JP8080 - XV5080 - Fantom X7 - Triton Rack - Pro/cussion]
magicd

Post by magicd »

Like Ragu sauce, it's in there!

As with any other type of track in DP, you can have multiple takes with the Conductor track.

Markers are stored in the Conductor track.

If you you also have tempo and meter changes, you will want to duplicate the conductor track take to preserve that timing info. You can then delete the duplicated markers and write in a new set.

Magic Dave
grimepoch

Post by grimepoch »

Hahaha!! SWEET!!!

I've not experimented with multiple takes yet so this will be some good old learning! I also don't do any tempo changes yet, but thanks for the heads up. I imagine one day I'll get bored of always being in the same time and do some craziness! :)

This is GREAT news for me.
[MacPro-4x2.66/7G/OSX10.5.2 - 2x896HD - ADA8000 - Lucid Genx6 - DP5.13 - Logic 8.02 - 2xUAD1e - ExpressXT - Mach5 - MX4 - Korg LegD - impOSCar - Battery3 - uTonic - Rapture - DimPro - Vanguard - Reaktor5 - Absynth4 - FM8 - Pro53 - Vokator - Waldorf Ed - Addictive Drums - Melodyne - Ultra Analog - Zebra2 - WaveArts - - Altiverb - Etc. ]
[Virus TI - Virus B - Waldorf Q - Waldorf uwXT - Supernova II - Nord Rack 3 - JP8080 - XV5080 - Fantom X7 - Triton Rack - Pro/cussion]
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
grimepoch

Post by grimepoch »

Thanks monkey man. I'm still amazed at how much stuff there is still in DP for me to learn :)
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

grimepoch wrote:Thanks monkey man. I'm still amazed at how much stuff there is still in DP for me to learn :)
Well, if it keeps growing, we'll all get to remain forever in awe.

That's how it should be, IMHO.
You know - You know you have everything you need, including the things you don't know, should you need 'em. :lol:

Go Grimey, our #1 pooch-man. :wink:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
Mr_Clifford

Post by Mr_Clifford »

magicd wrote:Like Ragu sauce, it's in there!

As with any other type of track in DP, you can have multiple takes with the Conductor track.

If you you also have tempo and meter changes, you will want to duplicate the conductor track take to preserve that timing info. You can then delete the duplicated markers and write in a new set.

Magic Dave
Am I missing something here? Maybe there's a preference I have to turn on or something, because I seem to have a common set of markers no matter what take I'm on in the conductor track.

I tried adding a couple of markers in take 1, then created a new take (2) and added a couple more markers. All four markers showed up in both takes. Then I deleted them whilst in take 2. Then I had none in take 1.

I hope it's something I'm doing wrong because it would be a great function if I could get it to work. I was just recently lamenting with a sound mixer the fact that you can't do it in Pro Tools - the marker track gets pretty cluttered at a final sound mix for a TV episode.
DP 9.52 Mac Pro 10.14.6 RME fireface800. Sibelius. Dorico 4
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Wow! You guys at MOTU are GENIOUSES!!
Why didn't i think of that? I can't wait to try that! 8)

If it really works like that, I'll be an extremely happy guy!

This should go straight to the Tips sheet.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
blue

Post by blue »

Mr_Clifford wrote:Am I missing something here? Maybe there's a preference I have to turn on or something, because I seem to have a common set of markers no matter what take I'm on in the conductor track.
Perhaps you need to be in conductor track mode, rather than tempo mode. Just a guess.
Mr_Clifford

Post by Mr_Clifford »

blue wrote:
Mr_Clifford wrote:Am I missing something here? Maybe there's a preference I have to turn on or something, because I seem to have a common set of markers no matter what take I'm on in the conductor track.
Perhaps you need to be in conductor track mode, rather than tempo mode. Just a guess.
Nup, just tried that and no difference even in conductor track mode.

Can anyone confirm that they've actually got this working?
blue

Post by blue »

I just tried it myself. You are right. I guess the only info in a conductor track take that is not global is tempo.

Perhaps a feature suggestion? It might be nice to have a preference for which info stays put and which is take specific.
magicd

Post by magicd »

Holy Cats!
You are right and I am wrong. Markers are global and not specific to conductor track takes.

Wow. I am so sorry for getting that wrong. Obviously I didn't test before I posted.

Suggestion for markers being specific to takes is now passed along to the development team.

Alternate technique (and I did test this): Select the Conductor Track from beginning to end and Copy To a Clipping Window (Edit menu). If there is other data such as tempo informartion that you don't want to store in the clipping, use the View Filter (Setup Menu) to hide that data first.

Dragging markers stored in a clipping back into the Conductor track does not delete any markers that already in the Conductor track, so if you want to replace one set of markers with another, delete the existing markers before you drag the clipping back to the track.

Whew.

Dave
grimepoch

Post by grimepoch »

Hehe, thanks for the update! I hadn't had a chance to play with it yet, but glad someone else did for me ;)
Mr_Clifford

Post by Mr_Clifford »

magicd wrote:Suggestion for markers being specific to takes is now passed along to the development team.
Thanks Magic Dave.

While we're making requests for the markers, I'd like to see the ability to copy locked markers between sequences which would paste to their timecode position NOT the bars & beats position - currently you have to unlock markers in order to copy between sequences, so the tempo maps have to match exactly in order for the markers to go to the right spot.

Does anyone else want that?
jstaczek

Post by jstaczek »

Ditto! I want that, too!

I can't begin to understand why you have to unlock markers to copy. It feels like the vestige of some very old behavior.
Jason Staczek
www.chromasound.net
Dual 2.5G G5, 6.5G RAM, DP 5.13, OS 10.4.11
MBP 17", 3G RAM, DP 5.13, OS 10.4.11
Pro Tools HD2 Accel, 828mkII, FastLane, Logic 8