MacBook Pro Displays - Regular or high gloss

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

midilance
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MacBook Pro Displays - Regular or high gloss

Post by midilance »

The high gloss displays look really great and clear however, I am wondering how they would work on a concert stage with all the lights. Any issues with glare? Does either display type have a benefit over the over with regard to stage glare?
Mac Studio m2 Max // OS 14.3.1 // DP 11.3.1 // MotU Ultralite mk4 // Komplete Ultimate 14 // Arturia V Collection 9 // Korg Collection // Stylus RMX 1.8 // Omnisphere 2.6.2c // Scarbee Keys and Basses // T-Racks 5 // Amplitube 5 // BFD3 // Blue3 // PolyM //
gregwhartley

Post by gregwhartley »

I wouldn't worry about it. My MacBook's got a high gloss display and I take it everywhere without any issues. Actually, the only problem I can say I've had is with flourescent lights such as in retail stores - but that's only if the screen is really pushed back - this is almost not even worth mentioning. I compared my MacBook display with my friend's MacBook Pro's non-gloss display and he got kind of bummed out that he didn't get the gloss option.

I suppose you could always go into an Apple store with multi-colored flashlights and ask them to turn off all the lights... you could tell them you just had eye surgery and have become sensitive to light or something.

Greg
"We are all disgusting, doomed to our dirty little tasks. Eating and farting and scratching and smiling and celebrating holidays." -Bukowski
eixb

Post by eixb »

the screen will react somewhat like a mirror, so you could try bringing a wall mirror to the location and set it approximately where the laptop screen would be. run through a few light sequences, and see how it does in terms of reflection. the laptop won't be quite as reflective as the mirror of course, but you can at least identify any major light source issues - most of which can solved by turning the laptop an inch or two in either direction, or by tilting the screen slightly forward or back.

personally, i'd get it glossy...it's quite nice :D