Update to current Intel drivers on non-Intel machine?

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

resomedia
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Update to current Intel drivers on non-Intel machine?

Post by resomedia »

I have a G5 Dual 2gig (pre-Intel). In trying to stay current with the most up-to-date drivers for my 828/2408 and MIDI Express, will I gain anything (or mess up anything) by updating to these latest (Dual Core) audio and MIDI drivers?
Mac G5 Dual 2g / 4.5 G Ram / Cubase 4.1 / MOTU 2408mk3 & 24I/O / Behringer ADA8000 (2) MIDI Express 128 (3)
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

I don't know if you'll "mess anything up", but there is something peculiar about installing drivers for Intel on a PPC-- sounds like the wrong drivers all around.

As long as they are making native PPC drivers, I'd say use those. They may have Universal drivers soon, and that's as far as I'd go with a PPC.

For Intel drivers, it's probably wisest to have an Intel machine, imho...
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
eixb

Re: Update to current Intel drivers on non-Intel machine?

Post by eixb »

resomedia wrote:I have a G5 Dual 2gig (pre-Intel). In trying to stay current with the most up-to-date drivers for my 828/2408 and MIDI Express, will I gain anything (or mess up anything) by updating to these latest (Dual Core) audio and MIDI drivers?
if you are referring to the 1.4.1 drivers available at:
http://lasso.motu.com/downloads/filelis ... ng&-search
(motu.com->downloads->osx->firewire/usb2 drivers)

they are fine to use. universal binary files contain code that will run natively on intel & ppc processors.

i personally run the newest universal 1.4.1 drivers on my dual 1ghz g4 and 828mkII with no problems.