UPDATE: Beyond Black v2.3 Now Available***

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: UPDATE: Beyond Black v2.3 Now Available***

Post by stubbsonic »

I just had a DP crash and I wouldn't have thought to blame the BB Theme. After all, DP has ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS been my crashiest program-- even and perhaps especially on the new M1 MBP running Monterey. [edit: I should add that this is the first time I've seen the message about running out of application memory, which led me to this page below. I have 64 GB, so I should be good there, and only had a handful of little apps open.]

I did just find one source that suggests that a custom cursor might be a cause.

https://osxdaily.com/2021/12/03/your-sy ... mac-error/

And I notice that this theme does use a custom cursor.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
dix

Post by dix »

Crashiest, really? Why do you think DP is so crashy for you stubbs, when it's solid for the rest of us? I've had no crashes since installing BB, and very very very few on my M1 Max before that.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
Rick Cornish

UPDATE: Beyond Black v2.3 Now Available***

Post by Rick Cornish »

stubbsonic wrote:I just had a DP crash and I wouldn't have thought to blame the BB Theme. After all, DP has ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS been my crashiest program-- even and perhaps especially on the new M1 MBP running Monterey. [edit: I should add that this is the first time I've seen the message about running out of application memory, which led me to this page below. I have 64 GB, so I should be good there, and only had a handful of little apps open.]

I did just find one source that suggests that a custom cursor might be a cause.

https://osxdaily.com/2021/12/03/your-sy ... mac-error/

And I notice that this theme does use a custom cursor.
stubbsonic……
Sorry to hear you’re having system problems. From personal experience, I haven’t had a DP crash in over 6 months.

I can’t imagine how BB2.3 could have caused your crash, but it’s simple to choose another theme and see if it repeats itself. Please let us know if that happens.

Meanwhile, if you want to continue using BB and you really think the wiper cursor is crashing your machine, PM me and I’ll give you instructions on how to replace it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Rick Cornish wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:09 am stubbsonic……
Sorry to hear you’re having system problems. From personal experience, I haven’t had a DP crash in over 6 months.
dix wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:49 pm Crashiest, really? Why do you think DP is so crashy for you stubbs, when it's solid for the rest of us? I've had no crashes since installing BB, and very very very few on my M1 Max before that.
My only guess is that it is some combo of things like maybe Rogue Amoeba's various elements (Loopback? ACE?, etc?) DP's crash-prone behavior goes back further than my use of RA tools.
Rick Cornish wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:09 am I can’t imagine how BB2.3 could have caused your crash, but it’s simple to choose another theme and see if it repeats itself. Please let us know if that happens.
What is new about this crash is that the Mac OS (FINALLY!) gave me some info about the cause, saying that I had run out of application memory. What is comforting is that this is a known Monterey bug, and a fix may be on the way.

I will try out another theme. Since this particular crash (with a warning of the memory issue) is new, I can watch for it.

And yes, I would like to get instructions to revert the custom cursor back to the defaults.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

stubbsonic wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:48 am And yes, I would like to get instructions to revert the custom cursor back to the defaults.
Cool. I may have time to write it out later today… not hard, but requires careful attention.I'll PM you later with the instructions.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I reverted to a different theme, and today I had the same crash where DP becomes unresponsive, spinning beach ball, then eventually Mac OS automatically brings up the Force Quit option-- and reports about running out of application memory. So whatever is happening, it's likely not due to the theme at all, or perhaps it is due to DP's use of custom cursors in a general way.

I don't have a clue how to read crash reports. I wish I had an option to send the crash report to MOTU (as well as Apple).