Roger Nichols Plug-Ins

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
David Polich
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Roger Nichols Plug-Ins

Post by David Polich »

Just curious if anyone else is enjoying the demos as much as I am -

http://www.rogernicholsdigital.com

(formerly Elemental Audio)

Finis and Dyna-mizer get my vote.
azusa749a
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by azusa749a »

Yes I've seen that. You should see this one too. It came from NAMM summer06.

http://www.gearwire.com/mov/Roger_Nicho ... elizer.mov

His intro: Hi.......... We're developing plug ins that do not exist in the plug in world. :lol:
corbo-billy

Post by corbo-billy »

Yes, that appears rather powerfull
Phil O

Re: Rogr Nichols Plug-Ins

Post by Phil O »

David Polich wrote:Just curious if anyone else is enjoying the demos as much as I am -

http://www.rogernicholsdigital.com

(formerly Elemental Audio)

Finis and Dyna-mizer get my vote.
I have InspectorXL from Elemental Audio and just downloaded the UB version. I think this is the last of the support from Elemental. I paid something like $80 for it originally.
I've always had respect for Elemental Audio as a company that gives good support, for a good product, at a very reasonable price. I don't know if I can say the same for RND. It's still the same product (made by Elemental), don't know about the support yet, and the prices have shot WAY up. They look like great plugs (although I haven't tried the demos yet), but I'll wait a while before I plunk any money down. It's a shame that Elemental isn't selling direct any more. :cry:

Phil
Splinter

Post by Splinter »

Phil O wrote:I've always had respect for Elemental Audio as a company that gives good support, for a good product, at a very reasonable price. I don't know if I can say the same for RND. It's still the same product (made by Elemental), don't know about the support yet, and the prices have shot WAY up.
Elemental WAS a great company till they sold out to RND. The plugs are good, but certainly not worth the price of admission for what RND is now charging. I purchased a bundle of 3 plugs from EAS for less than what RND now charges for one of the identical plugs. I have them all except Finis, but won't upgrade beyond the free UB versions.

I would highly caution you before purchasing these plugs from RND. The whole shakedown with the Elemental pissed off A LOT of faithful users and made it very obvious to many RND knows nothing about customer relations. I also suspect RND won't be around for long either with such poor business practices.
MacBook Pro Quad 2.4GHz i7 • 10.12 • 16G RAM • DP 9 • MOTU 896HD Hybrid, Apogee Duet, & MOTU Micro Lite MIDI interface • Waves Platinum, Studio Classics Collection, Abbey Road, etc... • Fabfilter Pro-Q2 • Soundtoys FX • IK Amplitube 3, Ampeg, and TRacks 3 • Altiverb 7 • Slate Digital Everything Bundle • Stylus RMX • Komplete 10 • SampleTank 3 • Arturia V Collection • M-Audio Axiom 49
eriknorlander

Post by eriknorlander »

Phil O wrote: I have InspectorXL from Elemental Audio and just downloaded the UB version. I think this is the last of the support from Elemental. I paid something like $80 for it originally. [snip]
I downloaded the free version of Inspector in hopes that it could be a subsitute for Waves PAZ. While I don't know about the XL version, the free version only works as a stereo plug -- either stereo or mono-to-stereo. That's kind of annoying when you want to put in on a bass guitar or kick drum track to see what's going on down low and suddenly you have a stereo track. I put in the last insert slot, and then I can continue to put mono plugs above it. That's one quibble. Another is that there is no freeze function. On a bass guitar, for example, when the guy is playing different notes and one of them pokes out with a certain frequency, I used to use PAZ to freeze that note an then look at the spectrum. Can't do that on Inspector Free; maybe you can on the paid for version. And my final quibble, the window is awfully small.

Please pardon my quibbles. The expression "you get what you pay for" is certainly true, and since I paid nothing for this Inspector, I really have nothing to complain about. But would I buy the bigger version based on this free one? Probably not. As much as I dislike Waves' upgrade policies (I chose not to upgrade my old Gold Bundle), I may drop the $200 for PAZ.

Or maybe on day UA will make a spectrum analyzer ... or even MOTU!

Best regards,
Erik
G5 Quad 2.5GHz, 6 GB RAM, OS 10.5.8, DP 7.02, UAD-2 Quad, all IK Multimedia and Sonic Reality synths and plug-ins, DrumTracker, ApTrigga, NI Komplete 5 and 6, ImpOSCar, TimewARP 2600, Waves Gold, Nomad Integral, 2X 828mk3, UltraLite mk3, 3X micro express. 1967 modular Moog synthesizer, Minimoog model Ds, Voyager, other Moog things, Alesis A6, lots of other hardware synths. Hammond organ and Leslie, Kawai grand piano. Mics and guitars. Braun 3071 coffee maker.
http://www.eriknorlander.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
dtobocman

Post by dtobocman »

InspectorXL is far superior to PAZ, in my opinion. I rely on it heavily and my results are better than ever.
eriknorlander

Post by eriknorlander »

dtobocman wrote:InspectorXL is far superior to PAZ, in my opinion. I rely on it heavily and my results are better than ever.
Hey dtobocman, glad to hear that. Does the XL version have a freeze function and work as a mono plug?

Thx!
Erik
G5 Quad 2.5GHz, 6 GB RAM, OS 10.5.8, DP 7.02, UAD-2 Quad, all IK Multimedia and Sonic Reality synths and plug-ins, DrumTracker, ApTrigga, NI Komplete 5 and 6, ImpOSCar, TimewARP 2600, Waves Gold, Nomad Integral, 2X 828mk3, UltraLite mk3, 3X micro express. 1967 modular Moog synthesizer, Minimoog model Ds, Voyager, other Moog things, Alesis A6, lots of other hardware synths. Hammond organ and Leslie, Kawai grand piano. Mics and guitars. Braun 3071 coffee maker.
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

eriknorlander wrote:Does the XL version have a freeze function and work as a mono plug?
Yes and yes.

PAZ pales in comparison. I wouldn't spend my money on it (and I do own and love WAVES plug-ins).
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Splinter wrote:I would highly caution you before purchasing these plugs from RND. The whole shakedown with the Elemental pissed off A LOT of faithful users and made it very obvious to many RND knows nothing about customer relations. I also suspect RND won't be around for long either with such poor business practices.
Yeah, I'm sort of leaning in that direction. But that multi-zone compressor/expander looks useful. Does anyone else make a plug like that? According to Nichols, it's unique.

Phil
marcmarc

Post by marcmarc »

eriknorlander :
I own InspectorXL and it is hugely superior to PAZ.
But even if I own InspectorXL, I've purchased a really killer metering app : Spectre.
if you want to try it :
http://audiofile-engineering.com/spectre.php

and I don't even use inspector anymore...
soundsun

Post by soundsun »

marcmarc wrote:eriknorlander :
I own InspectorXL and it is hugely superior to PAZ.
But even if I own InspectorXL, I've purchased a really killer metering app : Spectre.
if you want to try it :
http://audiofile-engineering.com/spectre.php

and I don't even use inspector anymore...
As a user the InspectorXL I'd be very interested in why you like Spectre more. I'm always looking for better metering.
--
Macbook 2 gig with 2 gigs of RAM, 10.4.7, iMac G5, 1.9 Gig with 1.5 gigs of RAM ,10.4.6 DP 4.61
eriknorlander

Post by eriknorlander »

soundsun wrote: As a user the InspectorXL I'd be very interested in why you like Spectre more. I'm always looking for better metering.
Yes, yes! Marcmarc and others, please do elaborate. Inspector XL and Spectre are both about the same price, and happily less than half of Waves PAZ (which most of you guys here seem to think is outclassed by these others). Would love to hear more -- I will almost surely go with either Inspector XL or Spectre instead of PAZ based on this thread. Grazie!

Cheers,
Erik
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Inspector XL is fantastic, Erik. Be confident in that. I'm 99% sure it has a freeze somewhere. I just can't remember where it is, and don't have it open at this time. Worst case: do a screen shot, or even a series of them.

I've used Inspector XL to solve a lot of mysteries and to explain things that were hard to put into words--such as the difference between Akoustik Piano and Ivory which I did in a review about this time last year. (version 1.0 of Ivory was noisy and inferior to Akoustik Piano--clearly visible in the screen grabs of Inspector. Version 1.5 of Ivory sounds like it was completely revamped, and is now phenomenally better)

Anyway, I can't find anything not to like about Inspector, but there may be better plugs out there. I just haven't seen 'em.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
marcmarc

Post by marcmarc »

What I especially like about Spectre vs. InspectorXL is that you can tweak it really as you want (and I don't mean audio parameters only).

But where it is (for me) a winner is because it's not just an AU plug... and in fact it is not an AU (nor MAS) plug : it works with the AppleAUNetSend.

If you have one computer : You put an AppleAUNetSend as insert in the Mixer and you fire Spectre.
If Spectre has been configured properly, the audio signal comes via an embedded AUNetReceive and you can see the meters working.

But the beauty of the thing is when you have Spectre on an other computer on your network : you start Spectre and the audio comes via your network ! No audio interface, no hassle...

In fact, since I have Spectre, I've bought a macMini just for metering purpose...

BTW : I think InspectorXL is a VERY GOOD product too !