No usb hub

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

twistedtom
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

No usb hub

Post by twistedtom »

I installed os 10.4.7 and now when I start my computer my usb hub is inactive. I have to unplug the usb in plug on the hub to get it to work. I there a fix like dumping preferences?
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

What port on your computer is your hub plugged into? The keyboard ports are low-powered and just may not see the hub. You may want to make sure that your hub is plugged directly into your computer. This, of course, is assuming that you are speaking of a tower and not a powerbook.

A powered hub is going to be better overall, and I would stay away from things like Targus and other cheaper brands. I've had two of them go out since the first of the year with iffy performance. Last month I got a Kensington powered hub and it's just rock solid. The Kensington was cheaper than all the faulty hubs I'd bought combined. I was penny-wise and dollar-foolish, but the difference was only about $10 for the Kensington.

Also, about the updated OSX-- as the operating system improves, it can be less tolerant of errors allowed in earlier versions. For example, on my old G3 laptop, I had additional RAM installed by the dealer (before the Mac store existed) because those computers were a bit tricky to DIY. They did the upgrade and later that year I installed OSX. It turns out that the RAM they put in worked fine in OS9, but because it was not exactly the RAM that Apple recommended for that particular computer, OSX would not run on it at all. It was very odd. I had to have all the RAM replaced.

Anyway, sometimes a new OS update can be finicky about mounting certain third party hardware even when it wasn't a problem before. Just a thought.
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

It is Kensington 8 port plugged into the USB port on the computer. All worked fine until I upgraded. Thanks Frodo.
P.S. I love the Lord of the Rings, I have all the DVDS; I got the first ones out then got the special editions.
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

Alright! Another LOTR fan! (I can't even tell you the different sets I've got-- and I just got the latest Limited Edition set that came out last week. I'm truly hopeless with this stuff!)

Okay-- back OT:

Go to About This Mac and check for More Info. Look at the USB info to make sure that all of your devices are seen. Some may appear as "unknown device" connected to the hub, but see if all of your devices are at least "seen" even if they are not specifically named.
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

Loved the books long before the movies came out. The movies almost follow the books, I do not know why they had to change anything but that's HW.
I moved to the shire this year, I love the Hobbit life.
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

twistedtom wrote:Loved the books long before the movies came out. The movies almost follow the books, I do not know why they had to change anything but that's HW.
I moved to the shire this year, I love the Hobbit life.
Oh, yes. The books. I've got over 100 different Tolkien books-- many the same titles but different editions. I may have 5 editions of the Silmarillion, 3 editions of the Hobbit, the complete 12-volume History of Middle-earth (3-4 copies of some), and about 15 editions of LOTR-- one in Italian!

As for the movies, I've got 8 swords as prop replicas, about 50 sculptures from WETA, various signed items from the actors, and an ORIGINAL floor tile from the Minas Tirith throne room set.

Musically, Howard Shore asked me to step in for him last summer to conduct his LOTR Symphony with the Buffalo Phil.

As you see, I'm totally hopeless with this stuff.

BTW-- I'll be conducting the Oregon Symphony next month, so if you are near Portland, let me know. Maybe we can share some Lembas and mushrooms. Drop me a PM if you're interested in meeting up...

AND____

Did you ever get things working with the USB hub?
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

Wow you are hooked! I live outside of portland by 25 miles, my place is very hobbit like. Let me know your plans I am off in the day.
After reading the lord of the rings books my wife started jokingly calling me a wizard because I was making fireworks like Gandalf. We belonged to the International Pyrotechnics Guild and the Portland pyrotechnics association and used to make the big stuff you see in shows. So she kept buying me goofy wizard things.
I still am unplugging it and replugging the usb hub.
Wow conducting the Oregon symphony, way cool.
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

Hey T:

I'm sending you a PM....
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

Considering what we are talking about there is a funny thing in today's Oregonian (news paper) about a developer building a hobbit village in Bend Oregon called the shire.
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

twistedtom wrote:Considering what we are talking about there is a funny thing in today's Oregonian (news paper) about a developer building a hobbit village in Bend Oregon called the shire.
I'm jealous!! I may have to relocate!! :lol:
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

The artical showed a shed that looked like a hobbit holemand the homes shall have synthetic roofs that look like straw.