How to set display to 1440 x 900 in Panther10.3.9 on a G5?

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

standingwave
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

How to set display to 1440 x 900 in Panther10.3.9 on a G5?

Post by standingwave »

My beautiful new 19" widescreen TFT display arrived today but system prefs has no option for 1440 x 900 which is what I want to set it to.

I am currently using the VGA lead (although monitor can also accept DVI).

I've tried clicking 'detect displays' in prefs and it makes no difference to the setting I'm on.

Also tried searching other forums and my mac help in the OS itself but no mention of this problem. Has anyone here got a clue how to set this up....?

I guess I'll buy a DVI lead tomorrow and see if that sorts it.
Frodo
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Frodo »

Hmm. 1440 x 990 is typical PB res. Not sure what the support issue is on G5's.

Could it be that your monitor doesn't support 1440 x 990? Or maybe there is an updated driver that will support that res?

Good question... :?
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
giles117
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by giles117 »

Did you set your res options to all????

That way you can Hard select which resolution you want, instead of the listed recomended resolutions.
DP 6.02
Quad 3.0 Ghz, 8.0 GB RAM, 2 - 1TB HD, 5 - 500GB HD's (RAID)
MOTU HD192, 2408mk3, Microlite, UAD-1, UAD-2, Powercore, Lavry Blue AD/DA convertor, LA-610
Euphonix MC Control

29 years in this business and counting.....Loving every minute of it.....
WSVP

Post by WSVP »

You should always use the DVI connection if it is an option on both ends. VGA is an analog signal and will significantly lower image quality. Flat panel monitors are meant to operate at there native resolution. You can use other resolutions but the pixel interpolation will reduce quality. Usually the maximum resolution of the flat panel is the native resolution.

1440 X 900 is a common 19" widescreen resolution. I believe once you connect with DVI to DVI the mac will offer the proper settings.
standingwave

Post by standingwave »

Thanks all for the replies.

To answer a few things:

I used a VGA lead becasue the monitor arrived (yesterday) with no DVI cable.

I couldn't find a way to manually set the res - maybe that's a 10.4 thing - in system prefs it seemed I could only choose from the options (1440 x 900 was not listed) or autoconfigue which made no difference at all.

Anyway, today I bought a DVI lead and it all self configured on startup to 1440 x 900. Compared to the layout of the DP project I was working on yesterday I can see I now get an extra two inches width compared to the non-widescreen resolution I was using yesterday, sheer editing luxury! :-)