In Sequence, how to extend gridlines through a live instrument

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
rosindabow
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

In Sequence, how to extend gridlines through a live instrument

Post by rosindabow »

I am working with live instruments. Just recorded a track and I would like to visually see the gridlines inside my sequence editor so I can see how far off the playing was. I think that I was able to do this before? I looked through the manual and there were only 2 mentions of gridlines, working inside the waveform editor.

(Probably something that I forgot to click)
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-05-26 at 9.14.39 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-05-26 at 9.14.39 AM.png (52.67 KiB) Viewed 391 times
DP 11.22, Mac Pro 14,8 macOS X 13.5, 128 GB RAM, Apogee Symphony I/O, Apollo x8p, UAD plug-ins, PSP, Waves Mercury, NI Komplete Ultimate 14, Spectrasonics, Hollywood Orchestra, Spitfire; Symphobia, Los Angeles Scoring Strings, True Strike, VSL, real violins, guitars, mandolins, pianos, drums, percussion & lots of other stuff...
stubbsonic

Re: In Sequence, how to extend gridlines through a live instrument

Post by stubbsonic »

I'd love an answer to this, as well. I'm often needing to align transients to points on the grid, and have to resort to a pretty imprecise vertical guessing (but I zoom way in to make it more accurate), or using the scrub bar to align to the ruler.

If we're not missing something, we should submit a feature request. This seems too useful to ignore.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
rosindabow

Post by rosindabow »

Agreed! If there is not an easy answer, feature request it is!

Thanks.
DP 11.22, Mac Pro 14,8 macOS X 13.5, 128 GB RAM, Apogee Symphony I/O, Apollo x8p, UAD plug-ins, PSP, Waves Mercury, NI Komplete Ultimate 14, Spectrasonics, Hollywood Orchestra, Spitfire; Symphobia, Los Angeles Scoring Strings, True Strike, VSL, real violins, guitars, mandolins, pianos, drums, percussion & lots of other stuff...
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Not entirely what you’re looking for, but if you turn off the Soundbite Color bar, the beat lines, and tempo missmatch bars extent to the top and bottom of the soundbite. If you have an empty track above or below the track in question, or move the track to the top of the Sequence Editor, it is quite apparent how the lines in the soundbite line up with the tempo lines. If you need to move transients, etc to exact tempo positions, adjust beats will let you snap them into position.
2018 Mini i7 32G macOS 12.6, DP 11.32, Mixbus 10, Logic 10.7, Scarlett 18i8
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

bayswater wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 8:57 pm .. if you turn off the Soundbite Color bar, the beat lines, and tempo missmatch bars extent to the top and bottom of the soundbite.
I don't know what that means "turn off the Soundbite Color bar".
bayswater wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 8:57 pm .. move the track to the top of the Sequence Editor, it is quite apparent how the lines in the soundbite line up with the tempo lines.
This is a decent workaround. If I just scroll so the soundbite is at the top of the window and the ruler kind of cuts off the waveform, it's a bit easier to use for aligning.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Soundbite colour bar is a preference in the Editor preferences window.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Ah. I see it now. Just get's rid of that thick bar on top, bring the waveform closer to the edge. Got it.

rosindabow

Post by rosindabow »

Thanks for all the help!
I am still going to make a request for this feature. I think that it would truly be helpful when editing.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

rosindabow wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 1:12 am Thanks for all the help!
I am still going to make a request for this feature. I think that it would truly be helpful when editing.
Sure, why not, there’s not reason not to have this. Maybe just adding the ability to make the soundbite semi-transparent will do this.

But I’m wondering, what is the musical reason? If you need to have the transients perfectly aligned with the tempo points, beat editing will do it. If you just want to see how far off the beat it, zooming and placing the cursor at the transient will tell you exactly where it is to the millisecond. What problem are you solving with this feature?
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

bayswater wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 8:51 am But I’m wondering, what is the musical reason? If you need to have the transients perfectly aligned with the tempo points, beat editing will do it. If you just want to see how far off the beat it, zooming and placing the cursor at the transient will tell you exactly where it is to the millisecond. What problem are you solving with this feature?
Being able to see how the audio relates to the grid WHILE YOU DRAG IT, that is 100% the reason. It's not about a particular goal (like aligning specific things to beats, or quantizing sloppy playing); it's just about what you want to see/reference while you are moving audio, dragging an edge, shifting, stretching, etc.

rosindabow

Post by rosindabow »

stubbsonic wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 9:45 am
Being able to see how the audio relates to the grid WHILE YOU DRAG IT, that is 100% the reason. It's not about a particular goal (like aligning specific things to beats, or quantizing sloppy playing); it's just about what you want to see/reference while you are moving audio, dragging an edge, shifting, stretching, etc.
Totally! Couldn't have said it better myself. Thanks!
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

rosindabow wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 10:36 am
stubbsonic wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 9:45 am
Totally! Couldn't have said it better myself. Thanks!
Thanks. I get it. I don’t do that but can see why it would help. I’ll ask for the change next time i’m at the site.