Sonoma 14.4 crash/kernel panic/reboot with Kontakt 7

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
timsmolens
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Sonoma 14.4 crash/kernel panic/reboot with Kontakt 7

Post by timsmolens »

14.5 fixed Kontakt for me. Thank goodness!
Mr Clifford

Sonoma 14.4 crash/kernel panic/reboot with Kontakt 7

Post by Mr Clifford »

Yep. OS 14.5 update fixed Kontakt 7 here too!!
Mac OSX 10.14.6. Mac Pro. RME FF800. DP 9.52
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Kontakt 7.10.4 released today

As always I'm going to make sure I backup and have APFS snapshot first.
Release Notes

Version 7.10.4 2024-05-21
FIXED
DAW project files containing Kontakt no longer increase following each resave

FIXED
In Edit View the Ul of the Kontakt FX Freak was incorrectly initialized

KNOWN ISSUE
Intermittent crashes when Kontakt 7 is used with the following combination: Logic Pro 10.x, macOS 14, Kontrol S MK3. The issue no longer occurs in Logic Pro 11

KNOWN ISSUE
Intermittent visual glitches and computer shutdown when using Kontakt on Apple M2 / M3 computers in clamshell mode, or when Kontakt is hosted in GarageBand. The issue no longer occurs on macos 14.5

KNOWN ISSUE
In Pro Tools, Kontakt window is cropped when zooming larger than available display size

KNOWN ISSUE
Please note that if you have updated to Kontakt 7.10. from a version before 7.9, you may need to reselect your audio device on first launch (macOS only)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.32, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

James Steele wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 12:04 pm Kontakt 7.10.4 released today
No problems on my M1.
828x MacOS 14.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.32
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

cuttime wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 10:21 am
James Steele wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 12:04 pm Kontakt 7.10.4 released today
No problems on my M1.
All good here, too!
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.32, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
randps

Post by randps »

All of a sudden, without me changing anything, Kontakt 7 (running under DP or standalone) claims that it isn't registered. When I open Native Access, Kontakt isn't listed there. When I enter my serial number, it accepts it, but it still doesn't list it among my products. I haven't changed OSX, DP, or the Kontakt version. Apparently they did something to break their copy protection, and now I can't work. I've opened a ticket with NI and am awaiting a response. I'll update after I hear back.

VERY FRUSTRATED!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

randps wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 8:02 pm All of a sudden, without me changing anything, Kontakt 7 (running under DP or standalone) claims that it isn't registered. When I open Native Access, Kontakt isn't listed there. When I enter my serial number, it accepts it, but it still doesn't list it among my products. I haven't changed OSX, DP, or the Kontakt version. Apparently they did something to break their copy protection, and now I can't work. I've opened a ticket with NI and am awaiting a response. I'll update after I hear back.

VERY FRUSTRATED!
After a Kontakt update, you need to shut down your Mac and restart before it will load properly—a simple reboot often will not do it. This has been true for at least a decade.

Kontakt not showing up in NA happens now and then especially after a Native Access update as was released a couple days ago so make sure that is current. I didn’t see Kontakt 7.10.4 till after I ran it.

The NI servers sometimes get overloaded after updates. Last time, that happened to me was last week. I bought a package, entered my serial numbers and checked hourly. Six hours later, there it was. The package was 235GB and took all day to download and install.

You do not list your macOS but it needs to be Big Sur or later for Kontakt 7 and Native Access 2.

NI has pretty good support once you get past the bots and are engaged with actual persons.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
randps

Post by randps »

agreed about help - it took too many screens and stupid questions to get to where I could create a ticket, but once I did they responded in about 15 hours, and pointed me to an article with various things I could try to correct the problem. Once I deleted the NI folder with .XML files, Native Access repopulated with all the missing products including Kontakt, and the problem with copy protection went away.