Plug-in Sales and Special Deals Sticky Topic

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

East West Memorial Day Sale

Post by James Steele »

East West is having a Memorial Day Sale with 60% off libraries.

https://www.soundsonline.com/memorial-day-sale

It may be an oldie, but I wanted to dip my toe in the East West waters as I never owned any of their libraries before, so I go an oldie but seemingly versatile one on sale: Goliath.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.32, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

All True Peak Limiters sale $39.99 includes bx_masterdesk_Pro

Post by mikehalloran »

Some of us are big fans of the bx_limiter True Peak. A number of Brainworx products now contain this limiter including the recently released bx_masterdesk_pro and all are on sale for $39.99.

https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/products.html

I'm not certain that I would buy Masterdesk Pro if I owned any of the others (as I do) but, if not, that's the one I would go for.

https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/prod ... k_pro.html

Plugin Alliance has sales all the time so it will likely come around again. Still, it's a major improvement over MOTU's MW Limiter that I found useless in my virtual choirs—which is what drove me to True Peak in the first place.

MW Limiter is long overdue for a bug fix and I was able to demonstrate why to MOTU back in January.
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-05-22 at 10.50.28 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-05-22 at 10.50.28 AM.png (5.82 MiB) Viewed 507 times
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
stubbsonic

AudioThing: Things: Fold dynamic wavefolder sale $9

Post by stubbsonic »

https://www.audiothing.net/effects/things-fold/

The demo cleverly applied it kind of tastefully on different source material. The envelope follower makes it a much more useful thingy.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
mikehalloran

Re: AudioThing: Things: Fold dynamic wavefolder sale $9

Post by mikehalloran »

stubbsonic wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 5:13 pm https://www.audiothing.net/effects/things-fold/

The demo cleverly applied it kind of tastefully on different source material. The envelope follower makes it a much more useful thingy.
I've been bombarded w/ email about this for a few days, now.

A bit of fun, kind of interesting and I spent more than $9 on lunch today. Oh what the hell, I probably won't respect myself in the morning.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: Plug-in Sales and Special Deals Sticky Topic

Post by James Steele »

mikehalloran wrote:MW Limiter is long overdue for a bug fix and I was able to demonstrate why to MOTU back in January.
It makes me wonder if it’s not on their list of priorities just because MOTU understands that these days just about everybody is using some sort of third-party solution for that. I’m sure whatever algorithms MOTU is in MW Limiter using must be decades old by now.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.32, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Acasis drive enclosure sale

Post by James Steele »

Not a plugin sale... but Acasis is running a pretty great sale on drive enclosures (NVMe, etc.). Way better prices than what I paid on Amazon not long ago:

https://www.acasis.com/

mikehalloran

Re: Acasis drive enclosure sale

Post by mikehalloran »

James Steele wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 8:34 am Not a plugin sale... but Acasis is running a pretty great sale on drive enclosures (NVMe, etc.). Way better prices than what I paid on Amazon not long ago:

I have an 8TB blade sitting in one of their TBU405 fanless enclosures. It normally runs slightly warm to the touch which is great. Last week, however, I migrated my NI libraries from my system drive and the 2.3TB file transfer got the enclosure quite warm—not enough io burn my hand but I was wishing that I'd sprung for the TBU405 ProM1 with the switchable fan instead.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mikehalloran wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 2:43 pm
James Steele wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 8:34 am Not a plugin sale... but Acasis is running a pretty great sale on drive enclosures (NVMe, etc.). Way better prices than what I paid on Amazon not long ago:

I have an 8TB blade sitting in one of their TBU405 fanless enclosures. It normally runs slightly warm to the touch which is great. Last week, however, I migrated my NI libraries from my system drive and the 2.3TB file transfer got the enclosure quite warm—not enough io burn my hand but I was wishing that I'd sprung for the TBU405 ProM1 with the switchable fan instead.
Yeah... I remember when I first transferred my samples library from my spinner to the 2TB NVMe in their fanless enclosure. It got pretty warm. Same when I later migrated it over from the 2TB NVMe to the 4TB NVMe also in the same fanless enclosure. I, too, wish I popped for the one with the fan, but so far after that initial large transfer I don't seem to be having heat issues. I do wonder how much noise the enclosures with a fan makes?

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

James Steele wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 3:09 pm
I do wonder how much noise the enclosures with a fan makes?
According to their marketing:
TBU405 is base version (Tool-free Installation), while TBU405ProM1 (Tool-free Installation + Built-in Silent Fan)
I am thinking about getting another enclosure but am not thrilled by the current price on 8TB NVMe blades. I might get a 4TB for now, pop it into the TBU405 and install my 8TB into the TBU405ProM1.

Apparently, I bought the very last OWC 8TB NVMe 3 x4 blade on closeout last year. These have been superseded by NVMe4 x4 and, while faster in a PCI4 bus on a Win machine designed for it, the TB3/4/USB4 pipe cannot accommodate higher speeds.
James Steele
Site Administrator

United Plug-ins Royal Compressor $5

Post by James Steele »

United Plug-ins Royal Compressor $5

https://unitedplugins.com/royalcompressor/

mikehalloran

The Upright from MusicalSampling $69 till June 18.

Post by mikehalloran »

I have a lot of upright bass VIs and the one thing that most have in common is that I dislike them. This one is different and has a number of legato figures that I’ve already found useful. In addition, it has a selection of noises that you can add—pretty cool. Requires the paid version of Kontakt.

https://musicalsampling.com/the-upright/

I’m not a fan of close-mic’d basses but this one is less ‘in your face’ than most and blends into a lot of the acoustic music that I’m producing right now. Anyway, I popped for it and used it on a pair of tracks today.

Wishing I had the foresight to make VIs of my ‘51 Kay Swingmaster S-59 and my gut strung Mittenwald basses when I could still play. I’ve cribbed something from recorded tracks but it would have been better had I sampled them on purpose.
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

Had never heard of https://www.acasis.com/. Thank you for that lead! Are they driverless, and do they have a solid multi nvme unit?
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS12.7.5, DP11.32, all Waves, all SLATE,PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, most all Orchestral Tools, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

labman wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 5:08 am Had never heard of https://www.acasis.com/. Thank you for that lead! Are they driverless, and do they have a solid multi nvme unit?
External drives do not require drivers.

They do show a couple of multi-NVMe units but are out of stock and promising new redesigned units. The issue with multiple blades is the number of lanes. A single blade enclosure can access all 4 lanes of data simultaneously. In a twin blade box, each blade can access 2 lanes while, in a quad unit, each blade is slowed down to 1 lane. Doesn’t matter how many are actually installed, the limitations are unchanged. There are “soft RAID” workarounds from Apple and 3rd party vendors but no one recommends them for critical data. Sample drives that are kept backed up and not generally considered critical. Likewise, 1 or 2 lane speeds for samples and archive are usually fast enough.

A few companies offer hardware RAID but Acasis is not one of them — yet? If they do offer hardware RAID in their new boxes, I will be very interested.

The maximum data speed for 4 lanes is 2800 over USB4/TB3/4. 2-lane is 1500 and 1-lane is 1000, same as USB 3.2 gen2 (was USB 3.1). Apple supports 2-lane speeds over Thunderbolt 2/3/4 and USB4 only.
stubbsonic

Re: The Upright from MusicalSampling $69 till June 18.

Post by stubbsonic »

mikehalloran wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 8:31 pm I have a lot of upright bass VIs and the one thing that most have in common is that I dislike them. This one is different and has a number of legato figures that I’ve already found useful. In addition, it has a selection of noises that you can add—pretty cool. Requires the paid version of Kontakt.

https://musicalsampling.com/the-upright/

I’m not a fan of close-mic’d basses but this one is less ‘in your face’ than most and blends into a lot of the acoustic music that I’m producing right now. Anyway, I popped for it and used it on a pair of tracks today.
Thanks for the link. In one of the demos, I was hearing quite a bit of smallish room in the sound. Are the samples fairly dry? Or were they recorded in a smallish room? I suppose that's one advantage to close-micing is that you don't hear the walls as much.

As an aside, I've been playing more fretless these past couple years, and have enjoyed playing through IR's that "fake" a resonator body. It's not entirely convincing but it is satisfying & fun.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
mikehalloran

Re: The Upright from MusicalSampling $69 till June 18.

Post by mikehalloran »

stubbsonic wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 10:05 am
Thanks for the link. In one of the demos, I was hearing quite a bit of smallish room in the sound. Are the samples fairly dry? Or were they recorded in a smallish room? I suppose that's one advantage to close-micing is that you don't hear the walls as much.
Based on the first demo, I never would have bought it. The second demo sold me and the third was ok. I played around with Bonus Beefy Legato till I got what I liked.
Patches
• Master Legato
• Bonus Beefy Legato
• Performance Sustains
• Body Perc & Room Tone
• Fret Slides
Features
• Legato, plucked upright bass
• Three legato articulations activated by velocity
In the YouTube video, he goes into how he doesn't believe in videos that explain everything—so he doesn't. I find that refreshing.

Hindsight is always 20-20, right? I had three nice basses incl a 5-string strung differently and could have made sample libraries with my favorite ribbon mic set up about 10' away in the church where I was working before my stroke in 2009.

My ideal tone is similar to many of Bill Lee's (Spike's dad) and Dick Kniss's (PPM's touring bassist) folk and jazz recordings in the 1960s. They both played on Album 1700, BTW, with Lee on "Leaving on a Jet Plane" and Kniss on "What's Her Name".