Apple Thunderbolt 3 to 2 adapter and MOTU audio interface dropouts.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
trakzero
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Apple Thunderbolt 3 to 2 adapter and MOTU audio interface dropouts.

Post by trakzero »

I've had sporadic interface dropouts where I've had to reboot all of my hardware before the interface (828es) was recognized again. No trouble with any other hardware. I've narrowed it down to the Apple Thunderbolt adapter. It seems to flake out at times and needs to be unplugged from both ends to get properly reset. That's why it was taking a full studio shutdown at first, that's what it took to get devices at both ends of the adapter powered down.

I've had this issue with other devices using the Apple TB 3 to 2 adapter. Keep this in mind if you get the same dropouts. You may not need to reboot your whole system or anything at all. Just disconnect and reconnect the TB adapter.

Cheers!
stubbsonic

Re: Apple Thunderbolt 3 to 2 adapter and MOTU audio interface dropouts.

Post by stubbsonic »

I had an old TB adapter just up and fail on me, and had to buy a new one, and it worked as it should. Mind you, that was a pretty old adapter.

To compound matters, there were other issues with a newer MBP and FW, unrelated to the adapter. But it was easy to sort because the failed adapter didn't work on an older MBP, and the new one worked on both MBPs

I hope you're not having that kind of issue, because on another thread today I learned that these adapters are getting hard to find. (!)
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
trakzero

Post by trakzero »

stubbsonic wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 1:35 pm I had an old TB adapter just up and fail on me, and had to buy a new one, and it worked as it should. Mind you, that was a pretty old adapter.

To compound matters, there were other issues with a newer MBP and FW, unrelated to the adapter. But it was easy to sort because the failed adapter didn't work on an older MBP, and the new one worked on both MBPs

I hope you're not having that kind of issue, because on another thread today I learned that these adapters are getting hard to find. (!)
If it happens again and the same fix works, I'll swap adapters. Haven't heard of any issues getting ahold of them, they work bi-directionally and with M series hardware.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Does it work connected over USB 2?

Although that does not support the track count of TB, there is no difference in latency. I the 828es works over USB, this should confirm that the TB adapter or TB2 cable is the problem.
Last edited by mikehalloran on Mon May 06, 2024 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I do not have this issue with my 828ES, Mac Studio, and the Apple TB Adaptor.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

HCMarkus wrote:I do not have this issue with my 828ES, Mac Studio, and the Apple TB Adaptor.
Same here. Maybe it’s just a bum adapter or something?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 RC1, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

I have connectivity and noise burst problems with 2 different adapters, gave up and moved to USB, solved it. Something's not happy in my system with those adapters. Disappointing.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

EMRR wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 7:32 am I have connectivity and noise burst problems with 2 different adapters, gave up and moved to USB, solved it. Something's not happy in my system with those adapters. Disappointing.
That's a bummer. I know that only the genuine Apple adapters are supposed to work properly. Makes me wonder though, if there are cheap Chinese counterfeits in the market? Although the likelihood you'd get one of those (even if they exist) twice are ridiculously low.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 RC1, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I suspect you could tell by Apple's over-the-top deluxe white packaging-- which I doubt a counterfeiter would bother to replicate (but I may be wrong). OTOH, if they are asking Apple's price, perhaps it would be worth it.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

stubbsonic wrote:I suspect you could tell by Apple's over-the-top deluxe white packaging-- which I doubt a counterfeiter would bother to replicate (but I may be wrong). OTOH, if they are asking Apple's price, perhaps it would be worth it.
I would think if it came in the proper packaging it’s legit. It’s a real head scratcher why it some have issues and others don’t. I assume you have latest firmware installed. Just so odd.

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I've been hearing for the past several years, that Apple has neglected Firewire, so at some point in OS updates, it'll just poop out.

Oh, and yea, we can't easily roll back an OS when it does.

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

There is firmware in the Apple TB2–TB3 adapter. A few websites are recommending that the adapter be plugged into a TB3/4 port during a macOS update so that the adapter firmware updates as well.

I have no idea if this is correct since none of those sites are Apple but it’s easy enough to do. One way is to boot into the Recovery Partition and Reinstall your current macOS. You can also download it from the App Store and reinstall that way. Sonoma 14.5 should be dropping any day by my estimate—certainly by the WWDC next month.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

mikehalloran wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 9:21 am There is firmware in the Apple TB2–TB3 adapter. A few websites are recommending that the adapter be plugged into a TB3/4 port during a macOS update so that the adapter firmware updates as well.
Interesting.