[828mk3Hybrid] Driver bug: audio crackles with UI actions

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
bejj
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

[828mk3Hybrid] Driver bug: audio crackles with UI actions

Post by bejj »

Hi,

I've been using MOTU audio interfaces for a decade (multiple MOTU 828 MK2 Firewire in ADAT, a MOTU 828 MK2 USB, etc.) on many different PCs.

I now use a MOTU 828 MK3 Hybrid in USB, with a Windows 7 x64 PC.

I have spent lots of hours of test before calling this a "driver bug", but here is my report (also sent to MOTU tech support).

Bug Report: I have noticed that clicking many times in the user interface of Ableton Live (for example to play a clip), or changing the focus to another windows while playing causes many dropouts / glitch / crackles.
Of course I already use the ASIO driver, with buffer size 256 (increasing to 512 or 1024 didn't change anything about the problem I described here).

Fortunately, the solution: if we use the MOTU 828 MK3 Hybrid with "ASIO4ALL", then ... all these problems disappear!
We can do ALT+TAB and go to other software, click everywhere in the Ableton Live user interface, do CPU-mediumly-intensive things on the PC: not a single crackle!

This confirms that the issue is not a hardware issue (good news: the MOTU 828 MK3 hardware is ok!), but it's an issue coming from the software.

How to reproduce the bug yourself:
  • 1) Take a mid-range PC (I have a Lenovo Thinkpad), with Windows 7 x64, a MOTU 828 MK3 Hybrid, connected via USB. Install driver 4.0.6.6814 driver
  • 2) Start Ableton Live 10, device: ASIO Motu Audio ASIO, buffer: 256 or 512
  • 3) Add a clip in the session view with a continuous sound in loop (e.g. a sine wave or a string chord or anything else), so that you will easily hear if there are dropouts or not in the sound
  • 4) Play this clip in loop forever
  • 5) Now randomly click in other places of the Ableton user interface, launch or record other audio clips in other tracks, go into menu: you will hear glitches
  • 5bis) Maybe also do ALT+TAB to go in another software, ALT+TAB to switch to Chrome while playing. Scroll in a web page: you will hear glitches
  • 6) Now use Asio4All instead and redo the previous steps: not a single glitch
Are you able to reproduce the bug too?

NB: All the best
Zylvian
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: [828mk3Hybrid] Driver bug: audio crackles with UI actions

Post by Zylvian »

2023 and I got the same problem. UltraLite-Mk3.
Windows 10
Version 21H2 (OS Build 19044.3086)

MOTU UltraLite-mk3