SNEAKY WAVES... Waveshell for version 9 stealth deleted

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
monkey man
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: SNEAKY WAVES... Waveshell for version 9 stealth deleted

Post by monkey man »

James Steele wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:13 pmI just really think surreptitiously deleting the V9 Wave Shell AU component from a customer’s Mac without any warning is pretty lame. If there’s a case to be made that V9 plugs are detrimental to system stability, blah, blah, blah, then Waves should do so and inform their customers. There’s got to be a better way than reaching into a customer’s computer and breaking working plugs without asking or warning.
Indeed, preach brother.

My M.O. with Waves is to pay Wup every 2 or 3 integer versions for everything.

In the interim if I buy something new, I simply don't install it(!), but rather wait for my next en-masse WUP upgrade.

This drastic way of keeping it simple is what I fell back on after similar shenanigans to what you experienced. Can't remember the details 'cause it was many years ago, but I made the call that I'm better off keeping everything "in-sync", so to speak.

Paying WUP for everything at-once is obviously the cheapest option too.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
waterstrum
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by waterstrum »

Waves offer inexpensive new plugs that are enticing.

A new plugin installation should not render existing plugs extinct.

Waves should warn the unsuspecting customer that the new plug will mess with the old plugs.

I'm hoping that it is an oversight and not a cynical ploy to generate more income.

I'm in Monkey Man's camp of Wupping every few years. :wink:
Waves 9 was ten years ago.
Waves 13 is working great with DP11.

That said, Waves should inform new purchasers of the potential deletions of old Wave Shells.
All is well
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Well Waves got a bit more of my money last night. I didn’t want to WUP everything as that would have been $240. I did some selected WUP updates: JJP Guitars, Musician 2 bundle, Manny Marroquin.

Of course learning how to navigate the labyrinth of deciding the best option among Waves upgrade offers, WUP updates, and outright repurchases is tricky. I ended up with two browser windows open comparing my options. In hindsight, I would have been better off upgrading my JJP Guitars to the JJP Collection after I re-WUPed that one. Live and learn.

I would like to be able to completely rid myself of the V9 plugs if for no other reason to have to no longer have to remember to restore the V9 Waveshell component every time I install anything using Waves Central. However, just not a financial priority right now.

I was able to upgrade to the newer version on selected W9 plugs and then retain access to my remaining V9 plugs by restoring the V9 WaveShell component. That’s in contrast to when I installed COSMOS yesterday. *Something* happened that resulted in simply restoring the V9 WaveShell component being inadequate to regain use of my V9 plugs. Perhaps I didn’t wipe an installation log in my previous effort to get V9 functionality back, and Waves Central didn’t recognize I had rolled certain support files back? Hmmmm

The bottom line for me is that to the consumer, the whole Waves system seems about as transparent as mud. I can understand how this has put off many users and driven many to seek alternatives.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.32, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

monkey man wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:06 pm Famous last words Brother Stoivo.

Waves has a knack for sneaking back in. :lol:
You’re right you know. I was trying to do something yesterday with a nasty top end yesterday, and Waves Ren Eq was just the thing. I tried out a load of PSP EQs, and couldn’t get anywhere.

OTOH. I’ve had the Ren bundle since V3 and it doesn’t work or sound different in V9 that it did in V3. So the solution is to stop updating macOS.
2018 Mini i7 32G macOS 12.6, DP 11.32, Mixbus 10, Logic 10.7, Scarlett 18i8
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

bayswater wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:59 pmSo the solution is to stop updating macOS.
:lol:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

bayswater wrote:So the solution is to stop updating macOS.
That’s where I am. I’m gonna be on Mojave for a while until I can afford to go to something like the upcoming Mac Mini with the M1 Pro or whatever. But I’ll have to replace my audio interfaces and figure out how to connect my monitors.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.32, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
niharsavala

Post by niharsavala »

James Steele wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:37 am HERE'S A SMOKING GUN!!! I decided to install COSMOS, the free sample finder app from Waves tonight. I backed up my version 9 WaveShell component then ran the installer for this APP! That's ALL I was installing. I should have NOTHING to do with the AU Components folder. Here's a video screen capture of Waves Central doing it's thing installing COSMOS. You can see the part of the file list of my Components folder behind it with the V9 WaveShell component visible. About 3 seconds into the video, you see it DELETED BY WAVES CENTRAL! During an UNRELATED APP INSTALL!!!

This happened to me & not only it deleted my Waves v9 plugins, but rendered some of my other plugins too unusable, they stopped working. I just created a post viewtopic.php?f=1&t=70123
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

I did the update some time ago but did not renew a dozen plugs to make it affordable. Waves charge for version updates is ludicrous and I have refused to buy a new plug product for ever. I'm also staying on Mojave but finding you have to update Java to keep the old machine going. There are Java folders I found I erased going back before 2017. Surprised me. I erased them with no issues. I'm surprised its still working at all though considering I forced this 09 machine up to Mojave. Currently when I boot DP it takes forever to load. I'm thinking Apple is messing with older machines again like the lawsuit that was recently won for older iPhones.
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2