DP / TocuhOSC / Osculator Two-Way Communication

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
JSmith1234567
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

DP / TocuhOSC / Osculator Two-Way Communication

Post by JSmith1234567 »

I've asked this before, but has anyone found a way to get DP to send bars/beats back to an (iPad for instance) to TouchOSC?

I use TouchOSC on an iPad as a remote transport control for DP, but I don't have a bars/beats display working on the iPad. It';s jus sending data, not receiving.

I've seen there is a Logic TouchOsc template that accomplished it somehow, but I was not smart enough to figure how that worked.

I was thinking there must be some way to use DP's "transmit beat clocks" feature to send that info to Osculator and then on to TouchOSC on the iPad?
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.31, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro, Tanqueray or Bombay Sapphire.
BKK-OZ
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP / TocuhOSC / Osculator Two-Way Communication

Post by BKK-OZ »

Sorry comrade, I don't know the answer to your question.

I was wondering if you could share your experiences with Touch Osc though.
I'm looking for a transport control option for my iPad.
I've used V-control in the past, but I haven't been using DP for awhile and now that I'm getting back into it, I need a control option.

Found this article which covers some possibilities (inc. Touch Osc):
10 apps for DAW control
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
JSmith1234567

Post by JSmith1234567 »

Hey!

My experiences with TouchOSC have been largely positive.

I tried a bunch of others (Metagrid, DAW Control and Lemur) and ended up with Touch OSC.

I use its mainly for key-switching, another page for transport controls (this is great with engineers that don't know DP), another page for naming mixes and stems, another for Finale, etc.

The MAIN thing I learned is that TouchOSC works great and as faders and buttons, but DO NOT rely on it to actually send specific keystrokes or MIDI notes or whatever.

Use Osculator for that.

TouchOSC is not reliable for assigning the actual whatever the final message is. It is totally reliable as a button or fader, but not for a specific keystroke or MIDI note or message or whatever.

Let Osculator do that, and it is bulletproof.

I use Osculator and also Keyboard Maestro together and you can basically do anything.

It sounds more complicated than it is. I'm not very technical, so if I can make it work, it's a low bar!

Also I have not been able to get two-way communication to work. Maybe someone smarter could.

Also the warning that TouchOSC hasn't been updated in like years I think?

Hope this helps.
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.31, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro, Tanqueray or Bombay Sapphire.
JSmith1234567

Post by JSmith1234567 »

Slight correction to the above;

TouchOSC IS reliable sending MIDI notes and cc faders, but not for keyboard keystrokes or key-combinations. It's really flakey with those for some reason.

I use TouchOSC transmitting buttons to Osculator for that.
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Thanks for that information brother, very much appreciated.

I haven't been looking into DP control options for DP for ~2 years.
It's pretty sad that things haven't changed much, if at all, in that time.
I'm going to give V-control another crack, even though it looks like it hasn't been updated for ~3 years.
:(

MOTU takes us for granted.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Scratch that, V-Control Pro is now ~$50/year.

Looks like it's time for plan B.
Cheers,
BK

- M Kaku
mongoose

Post by mongoose »

Yeah, getting kind of tired of waiting for functionality that we already had several years ago with DP Control, then lost, to be returned.

I used to do ALL my work in DP, and now it's about 64/40 Logic/DP, entirely because the Logic Remote works so well. There's soooooo many things I prefer about DP, but a functional remote is essential to my workflow. Sigh.
Spankin' 2020 10-core iMac, 40GB, Catalina, DP 10, Ivory, B-5, M-Tron,
UAD-2, Wissner Artist Upright Grand, Tokai MAT Strat, P-Bass, and a bunch of other noisemakers.
bleach30

Post by bleach30 »

Go to the "Control Surface Setup..." command under the Setup Menu.

From there the control surface setup box opens. Click on the + button to add the controller type. There are a few to choose from. I use (have used) Mackie Control but there is also an Open Sound Control selection too.

Using the Mackie Control I can get two way communication with all faders, mute, solo, record, level meters etc..

I started playing around with trying to get the counter to display a long time ago but I never followed through.

But I think one of those options (Mackie or Open Sound Control) should get you pointed in the right direction.

One thing about using the Mackie Control...
if you are using your iPad for anything MIDI like keyswitching etc.. there may be a conflict as the Mackie protocol is pretty much MIDI so your keyswitching stuff may not work. At least that was my experience a while back.
HOWEVER, if you have 2 iPads you can get around that by having 2 Osculator files open (they can be the same) and set one of them to port 8001 and use that one for all your MIDI stuff.
JSmith1234567

Post by JSmith1234567 »

I had not thought of that.

TouchOSC and Osculator are pretty deep. I'm sure there would be a way to send Mackie Control back and forth and also use regular key-switching features simultaneously.

I did try turning on send MTC Bars/Beats in DP and see if Osculator was receiving it.

It does receive it ( can see in the messages pane), but I'm not smart enough to get Osculator to send it to TouchOSC on the Ipad and make it work.

It's been great for not just key-switching, but also things like naming mixes and stems, and I even have a transport control section for when I'm working in studios with engineers that don't use DP regularly. They can run the session from my iPad, and all the transport keys, click on/off, solo, etc. are there.

Unfortunately bars/beats are not, which is a pain.

I still don't get why Motu killed DP Control?

And I find Mackie Control kind of half-a___d alternative.

It's not elegant like Eucon, or a dedicated app like Logic and Steinberg and ProTools have.

Logic and Steinberg have iPAD remotes. Avid has that and also hardware work-surfaces running Eucon!

Motu had it working once!

Motu???

As Jeremey Irons said in some movie I have forgotten the name of;

Motu??? "I think this is where you come in?".
mongoose

Post by mongoose »

My recently discovered band-aid workaround uses Luna display. This is a terrific little gadget that makes the iPad a complete touch display 2nd monitor (in contrast to Sidecar, which apparently is not fully touch-capable). If I use this and drag the transport and mixing board to the 2nd monitor, I can work across the room.

It ain’t ideal—the text and buttons are small, constantly have to move windows back and forth is a drag (haha), etc., but it does function. Thought others might want to consider it. Heck, even if MOTU comes through and reissues a proper control app, the Luna dongle will be useful since they just added the capability to use old iMacs as a 2nd monitor.

But...still really need MOTU to get it together and give us back the functionality we had three years ago!!!
Spankin' 2020 10-core iMac, 40GB, Catalina, DP 10, Ivory, B-5, M-Tron,
UAD-2, Wissner Artist Upright Grand, Tokai MAT Strat, P-Bass, and a bunch of other noisemakers.
JSmith1234567

Post by JSmith1234567 »

mongoose wrote:My recently discovered band-aid workaround uses Luna display. This is a terrific little gadget that makes the iPad a complete touch display 2nd monitor (in contrast to Sidecar, which apparently is not fully touch-capable). If I use this and drag the transport and mixing board to the 2nd monitor, I can work across the room.

It ain’t ideal—the text and buttons are small, constantly have to move windows back and forth is a drag (haha), etc., but it does function. Thought others might want to consider it. Heck, even if MOTU comes through and reissues a proper control app, the Luna dongle will be useful since they just added the capability to use old iMacs as a 2nd monitor.

But...still really need MOTU to get it together and give us back the functionality we had three years ago!!!
That is really hip!!!