Your big three hopes in updates to DP10

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
mgraham
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Your big three hopes in updates to DP10

Post by mgraham »

I'm going to change my #1 vote somewhat. The more I think about improvements to the Song window, the more I think it would be better just to allow sequences to contain other sequences. A special kind of track (Song track? Chunk track?) could be used for this. Sequences placed on this track playback at their original tempo/time signature and follow their internal conductor track.

The use case would be to assemble a piece of music from parts, and then record over those parts in the containing sequence.

The result would be similar to Waveform's Edit Clips or Reaper's subprojects, except unlike those products, the embedded sequence would be played "live" instead of pre-rendered, and would have access to V-Racks.

Or maybe pre-rendering could be an option. I am dreaming at this point, after all...
dix

Post by dix »

Helen wrote:3) It would be nice to be able to work with mp4 videos without having to convert them first to .mov. I have had an editor or two wonder out loud why I am using such an outdated video format... sigh.
Mp4s work fine with DP for me. I can't remember the last time I worked with a .mov
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
Helen

Post by Helen »

dix wrote:Mp4s work fine with DP for me. I can't remember the last time I worked with a .mov
Aw geez, now I have to figure out what I'm doing wrong (again). Thanks for the heads up. :)
Mac Pro Rack 7,1 3.2 Ghz 16-core, OS 12.7.4, 192GB ram
MOTU 828es, DP 11.31, Altiverb, Kontakt 7, VEPro
This job is fun, this job is fun, this job is fun....
michkhol

Post by michkhol »

OLB wrote: I’ve been developing a ‘poor man’s articulation system’ via Program Changes to Kontakt.
I'm working with VE Pro and I need notes and CCs, and sometimes both to change articulations. So far I'm able to switch automatically using only one kind of messages. The ideal system would assign any sequence of MIDI messages as articulation switches to every note, and thin them out on-the-fly to the minimum necessary for the playback.
MacPro, 32 GB RAM, Metric Halo ULN8
macOS 13.6.3, DP 11.3
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

1. Overall stability

2. Gestural controls for trackpad users (like in Logic)

3. More themes!
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
OLB

Post by OLB »

michkhol wrote: I'm working with VE Pro and I need notes and CCs, and sometimes both to change articulations. So far I'm able to switch automatically using only one kind of messages. The ideal system would assign any sequence of MIDI messages as articulation switches to every note, and thin them out on-the-fly to the minimum necessary for the playback.
Same here, everything is loaded in VE Pro. I’m sending Program Changes to Kontakt and there I convert them to CC or Note values.

Also I’ve created a bunch of clippings in DP of these program changes (staccato, legato, sustain etc) and then you can drag these in the MIDI parts.
- Len
DAW Mac Pro 6-core 2013 | 64Gb RAM | 10.11.6 | Metric Halo ULN-8
DP 9.5 | VE Pro 6 | Kontakt 5
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

1. Trim Read. All faders move to Zero, but trim automatically adjusts to keep each channel's level unchanged. When fine-tuning mixes, so easy to see at a glance what has been changed.

2. CC Lag Generator/Attack-Release Envelope MIDI Plugin. Smooth any controller input. Makes aftertouch and BC much more useable/useful. I do it now in Kontakt to use BC with string patches, but it would be easier to do it in DP than to program in the target VI or synth, especially if target doesn't offer that control.
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

HCMarkus wrote:1. Trim Read. All faders move to Zero, but trim automatically adjusts to keep each channel's level unchanged. When fine-tuning mixes, so easy to see at a glance what has been changed.
I might be misunderstanding, but this is what VCA faders do, relative volume adjusting etc.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Michael Canavan wrote:
HCMarkus wrote:1. Trim Read. All faders move to Zero, but trim automatically adjusts to keep each channel's level unchanged. When fine-tuning mixes, so easy to see at a glance what has been changed.
I might be misunderstanding, but this is what VCA faders do, relative volume adjusting etc.
For adjusting groups' levels, yes, but what I mean is essentially automatically inserting a Trim plugin into every audio track (post any other plugins and post-fader sends) and automatically setting each Trim plugin's gain so, without changing any channel's resultant gain, every channels' fader can rest at Zero.

In other words, same mix, but all faders at Zero.

I don't think VCAs do this, but am open to illumination.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

HCMarkus wrote:... inserting a Trim plugin into every audio track (post any other plugins and post-fader sends) and automatically setting each Trim plugin's gain so, without changing any channel's resultant gain, every channels' fader can rest at Zero.
Can you tell me the advantage of this?
2018 Mini i7 32G macOS 12.6, DP 11.32, Mixbus 10, Logic 10.7, Scarlett 18i8
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Easy to see what changes have been made from a mix, either one provided by a client, or one you think is getting close.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

HCMarkus wrote:Easy to see what changes have been made from a mix, either one provided by a client, or one you think is getting close.
Thanks. Thought I might be missing some odd gain staging trick.
2018 Mini i7 32G macOS 12.6, DP 11.32, Mixbus 10, Logic 10.7, Scarlett 18i8
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

HCMarkus wrote:Easy to see what changes have been made from a mix, either one provided by a client, or one you think is getting close.
So to me this is one of the many reasons to have multiple bounce settings,
A “Render all tracks as separate audio files” bounce option would offer you the ability to print the mix to the audio tracks setting them to zero.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

1. Window or control panel indicator that shows all currently record enabled tracks, MIDI and audio. Also, an indicator on track folders that shows if there are record enabled tracks contained within, even (especially) when the folder is closed.

2. Merge Virtual Instrument. Freezes a virtual instrument and its associated MIDI straight into an audio track, bypassing the mixing desk.

3. Real options for exporting different audio formats in movies. All we can do now is export with IMA compression. I want to be able to put a 24 bit PCM file into my movie, for example. Years ago, we had this.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

Oh one more, duplicate tracks without content.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.