NAMM NEWS - DP 10 - It's Here!

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
OldTimey
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: NAMM NEWS - DP 10 - It's Here!

Post by OldTimey »

bayswater wrote:...by dragging the last automation point in the original automation to the first automation point in the copy (assuming the copy is later in time than the original).
For dozens (maybe hundreds) of automation lanes? No thanks!

I'll stick with Pro Tools for mixing! DP is by far my favorite sequencer, and my favorite DAW...but mixing in it...there is/are (a) reason(s) it lags behind the competition my friends.

Though I'll add - VCA faders, and re-imagining of the automation system (which to be fair MOTU started a while back when they added lanes to the Seq. Editor) would go a long way towards keeping me in DP from project start to finish. Would love to see some basic improvements to the mixing board as well.
why would i want to skin a cat?
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

OldTimey wrote:
bayswater wrote:...by dragging the last automation point in the original automation to the first automation point in the copy (assuming the copy is later in time than the original).
For dozens (maybe hundreds) of automation lanes? No thanks!
Not saying anyone wants to do this, but suggesting that with the added snap function, MOTU (and Apple) may well think they've dealt with this issue. (Skinned the cat, so to speak)
2018 Mini i7 32G macOS 12.6, DP 11.32, Mixbus 10, Logic 10.7, Scarlett 18i8
richhickey

Post by richhickey »

dix wrote:
toodamnhip wrote:The automation ramping STILL EXISTS in DP 10. At least the versions at Namm. I tested DP 10 at NAMM...the ramping has not been fixed. I have filed reports and had great assistance with reports from our great guru Matt La Point, so I am sure they finally know about the issue. But whether they have time to fix such a thing before the first release? I am skeptical, but hopeful. gain, the issue remains in the DP 10s they had at NAMM.
There you have it. Since it’s not actually part of DP10, I’m thinking the issue could use it’s own thread m’be....?
Yes, please
Todzilla
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Todzilla »

Any idea of the timing of the release and what the cost to upgrade will be?
-Todzilla
Huge sound generation & capture facilities
On the banks of the River Eno
DP 8!!!, OSX 10.7.3, 15" MacBook Pro w 16G RAM 256G SSD & 630GHD, MOTU 896HD, MX4, Komplete 8, Apogee Symphony I/O, Neumann U-89, pair of Peluso P12s, Seventh Circle & Demeter preamps, Lava lamp, stuffed frog playing bongos
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Todzilla wrote:Any idea of the timing of the release and what the cost to upgrade will be?
usually 195oo give or take.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
jloeb

Post by jloeb »

richhickey wrote:
dix wrote:
toodamnhip wrote:The automation ramping STILL EXISTS in DP 10. At least the versions at Namm. I tested DP 10 at NAMM...the ramping has not been fixed. I have filed reports and had great assistance with reports from our great guru Matt La Point, so I am sure they finally know about the issue. But whether they have time to fix such a thing before the first release? I am skeptical, but hopeful. gain, the issue remains in the DP 10s they had at NAMM.
There you have it. Since it’s not actually part of DP10, I’m thinking the issue could use it’s own thread m’be....?
Yes, please
No, this makes no sense to me at all. This is a discussion of an as-yet-unreleased version of DP, and it's exactly the type of topic that should be discussed here ("in house") at this time and in this thread.

FMiguelez/TooDamnHip/OldTimey's point about automation editing is correct. It affects multiple genres of music production, if not every style of production: those whose music consists of live instrument takes plus a naturalistic style of arrangement will care less; those heavily into automation care a lot (and that is a lot of people, including myself). I've been turning this thread and last year's thread on this topic over in my head to try to come up with a short, sensible heuristic for dealing with the automation issue that covers all bases and can be suggested to MOTU devs.

On the surface, the fix seems obvious ("make it behave like audio!") and the appearance of ramps after edits "nonsensical," but that's not exactly true.

CC automation comprises two phases of activity: building and editing.

1) Building: recording automation during or as an overdub to a performance. Drawing in or dragging automation points with the mouse. Hand-editing by adding or subtracting one or more points from within an existing passage of automation.

If these are the activities you are engaged in, then changing the automation data should result in a smooth transition of the automation state between the edited points: interpolation. Where CC data consists of interpolated breakpoints, what you should expect to get when you remove or change a point is interpolation between the current and previous breakpoint values. In other words: a ramp.

This is DP's current behavior. It is the most logical behavior when you are starting from scratch and want to quickly build a set of contours for the track; or when you want to hand-alter data breakpoint by breakpoint.

2) Editing: Cutting/pasting// copy/splicing, or generally performing removal or relocation of regions of automation data which overlay existing data or audio in a track.

Now your expectations are different, because of the association of the automation data with that underlying track content. It can be assumed that edits should prioritize current value state above all else: when you remove a region, for example, what remains at the excision point should be a hard square-wave disjunct between the values at the beginning of the edited region and those at its end. If you splice a region into another region, there should likewise be a hard disjunct between the values within the splice and those bracketing it.

This is so because, to make musical sense, automation events should retain essentially sample-accurate association with the data which they overlay. The results of edits should imitate, as much as possible, the results of editing already-printed audio files.

The tricky part, and a possible answer: These are not mutually exclusive types of activities, and it is likely that a user would want to switch back and forth from one type of behavior to the other many times during the course of a project.

One way to "resolve" this ambiguity is to automatically create regions. I think MIDI regions are counterintuitive, create inflexibility, and build fences where the user has not erected them. This is not the DP design philosophy.

I think the solution that preserves flexibility for the user's working style (the DP way overall), and that is relatively simple to implement, possibly within the timeframe of the several weeks between now and release, is a feature that puts the choice between these behaviors in the user's hands. It consists of:

1) A checkbox, dropdown or otherwise a UI toggle, in the control bar or in the sequence window, which allows selection of an automation edit mode consisting of one of: Building or Editing.

2) Building Mode preserves DP's current behavior, as-is.

3) Editing Mode changes the behavior simply by spawning breakpoints for all active automation channels immediately (e.g., one tick) before and after the bounds of a selected region when any copy, delete, drag or paste operation is invoked for that region.

I think that's enough to do the trick, and result in the desired behaviors for any given situation, subject to the user's judgment. It's actionable by the devs, it adds flexibility, and it doesn't mess up anyone's current workflow.

FMiguelez et al, does this seem reasonable to you? If so, pending your input I'll send it as a support message to MOTU and I suggest you do the same.
Last edited by jloeb on Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

jloeb, I think you are onto something!
dix

Post by dix »

Todzilla wrote:Any idea of the timing of the release and what the cost to upgrade will be?
The press release says ships Q1, but some folks at NAMM heard in as soon as two weeks, which starts now! Upgrade price $195 as I recall.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I've actually put all mixing work on hold, as I know I'll just do it all over again once I have access to VCA Faders anyway. :-)

Or maybe it's just yet another excuse to focus on yet more composing, arranging, and recording -- which is about all I've done the past 2-3 years, aside from some mastering and audio restoration. But I know that VCA Faders will accelerate and improve my mixing iterations, thus making me less inclined to procrastinate on my least favourite part of making music (I love mastering and am good at it; fewer choices to slow me down I guess).
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
magicd

Post by magicd »

Recording on tape since the late '70s (exact dates are fuzzy now). DP user since 1994.

I record, mix, and master in DP. It makes total sense to me. I don't need VCA faders and I don't have problems with automation.

I completely understand that others want VCA faders and don't like the current automation implementation.

So I guess my point is that the program can always be improved but in the mean time it's a bad-ass tool for getting the job done (at least for me).

I do a lot of work in a "Pro-Tools studio" and the routing and mixing in that software drives me nuts.

YMMV I guess.

Dave
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

I agree with Dave. I did some work in a ProTools studio a few summers back. It often took several moves in PT to do what I could do in one move in DP. Some have complained about DP's need for a separate MIDI and instrument track, but I prefer that arrangement. I could go on.

The one thing I really liked about PT was the absolute grid option. My understanding is DP 10 will have this option. Cool!

I think the automation issue may be harder to modify than many think. Automation seems to be time based in DP. At least that's my guess. It's not synced to the data in a track. So if you nudge a soundbite, for example, the automation doesn't automatically move with it. I would imagine this is what makes implementing jloeb's suggestions difficult.

Phil
DP 11.32, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.5/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
jloeb

Post by jloeb »

Phil O wrote:I think the automation issue may be harder to modify than many think. Automation seems to be time based in DP. At least that's my guess. It's not synced to the data in a track. So if you nudge a soundbite, for example, the automation doesn't automatically move with it. I would imagine this is what makes implementing jloeb's suggestions difficult.

Phil
I agree that making DP universally link automation to audio data in a track would be a major project that would also fundamentally change DP's workflow. That's why I don't suggest it. Moreover, even if it were simple to implement, I don't think it would be a change worth making.

If you want to alter the time relationship between automation data and the data underlying it on a track (and you will), then you should be able to do that, quickly and without having to jump over any fences that the software puts in your way. Nudging is a great example: you absolutely need to be able to nudge automation relative to other data without restriction.

My suggestion, optionally spawning breakpoints around selection edges, does exactly that and no more. The user stays in the driver's seat; the user decides when which behavior is appropriate. The default mode would be Building Mode, which retains DP's current behavior. Those who work effectively in DP's current paradigm should not have to change what they do and there's no reason to make them do so.
Last edited by jloeb on Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

jloeb wrote: My suggestion, optionally spawning breakpoints around selection edges, does exactly that and no more. The user stays in the driver's seat; the user decides when which behavior is appropriate. The default mode would be Building Mode, which retains DP's current behavior. Those who work effectively in DP's current paradigm should not have to change what they do and there's no reason to make them do so.
Though I didn't entirely agree with your characterization of which mode is needed for the different workflows, I think this is a pretty practical solution. There could even be a command that accomplishes this. You make a selection and then type a key command that basically says "set automation points at selection boundaries." It seeks forward/backward for values or current ramp values and adds automation points. I suppose another setting could require this behavior automatically. Or am I misunderstanding this? I'm kinda glazing over, mostly.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
jloeb

Post by jloeb »

stubbsonic wrote:Though I didn't entirely agree with your characterization of which mode is needed for the different workflows, I think this is a pretty practical solution. There could even be a command that accomplishes this. You make a selection and then type a key command that basically says "set automation points at selection boundaries." It seeks forward/backward for values or current ramp values and adds automation points. I suppose another setting could require this behavior automatically. Or am I misunderstanding this?
Nope you've understood it perfectly. Automation Edit Mode would simply make that command the recurring behavior once chosen.
richhickey

Post by richhickey »

jloeb wrote: No, this makes no sense to me at all. This is a discussion of an as-yet-unreleased version of DP, and it's exactly the type of topic that should be discussed here ("in house") at this time and in this thread.
Look, there are hundreds of things we want DP to do/fix, discussed at length in prior threads (as this has). Should all of those threads be regurgitated here? Where can we go to discuss what DP 10 is (i.e. not what we imagined it would/could be) if people are going to fill every thread with their favorite old diatribes?

DP 10 doesn't fix this, that's unfortunate. It doesn't include articulation support, that's also unfortunate. But that doesn't mean it's ok to start spewing multiple page-long messages in this thread about why it should. Lots of us are keen to discover what DP10 does, anything people might have seen at the show, release info etc. And post release, how people are getting on with it. There's a troubleshooting/criticism section for a reason, I presume.