Articulation Presets for Vienna Instruments (new product)

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
mhschmieder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Articulation Presets for Vienna Instruments (new product)

Post by mhschmieder »

https://www.articulate-preset.com/support

I am working my way through the user manual and the demo pack, which is only matrices and not presets, and trying to decide if it's worth switching to this workflow vs. my own custom presets, as it finds a clever way to gather a lot more articulations into simultaneous availability and also goes a long way towards trying to make more of the phrasing in Vienna Instruments be automated by how the parts are played or scored.

Interested in feedback from others.

One concern I have is that there are a lot of gaps in which instruments and libraries are covered at the moment, and I might not enjoy mixing two work styles, even if just waiting for updates from the vendor.

I have managed to make do with patch-based (vs. matrix-based) preset grids so far, but I'm intrigued by how this vendor came up with a comprehensive mapping scheme that allows for way more coverage while being essentially uniform across instruments (accounting for differences in playing technique, of course).

At the same time, this won't apply to Synchron Player, but I don't see myself buying the Synchron-ized versions of the older libraries vs. focusing on the new material, which isn't always my top choice anyway (especially the percussion, which is more detailed than the old library but is one I'm finding doesn't cut through the mix nearly as well, for stuff like timpani and celesta for instance).

One of the most intriguing aspects of this preset library is that it switches between section sizes as necessary. I suppose since everything was recorded in the same hall, that should work (though these presets are not exposed in the demo pack), but I've never thought of doing that before as the timbre sounds so different to me between Appassionata Strings, Dimension Strings, Orchestral Strings, Chamber Strings and Solo Strings.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
mhschmieder

Re: Articulation Presets for Vienna Instruments (new product

Post by mhschmieder »

Looking at their shop, it's a little confusing what the product differentiation is in terms of overlap. For instance, does Symphonic Cube refer to owning every library (that is currently supported)? VSL themselves don't use that term anymore; that comes from the Gigasampler days. But the images are for Vienna Instruments (or VI Pro) so clearly this isn't for legacy products.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I think it was stated that it's OK to link elsewhere under certain conditions, so here's the vi-control discussion, in which the vendor is suddenly quite active after a bit of quiet:

https://vi-control.net/community/thread ... ary.77635/

So now I think we have a better understanding of the purpose of these presets, which are to gather everything possible so that you can have complex parts all on one track, and to avoid key switches as those mess up notation editors (unless you pull them out to a separate track, as many of us do).

I'm still not convinced I would benefit from these presets, as they are not as intuitive as the Vienna Instruments Presets in terms of quickly seeing what's available (and I make my own anyway vs. using the ones they provide), but as there is a consistent approach across the entire set, perhaps a steep learning curve would be rewarded with longer-term productivity gains.

The price seems reasonable for the effort put in by the vendor, but so far no one has asked about the pricing scheme and whether the products are separate or contain each other.

toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

It seems this area of programming is catching on. Thats great. I hope MOTU takes notice and gets with the “program”...lol....
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc