m-audio projectmix PROBLEMS!

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Jaysplace101
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

m-audio projectmix PROBLEMS!

Post by Jaysplace101 »

Having all sorts of audio problems with this unit. Just got it. Audio is breaking up, crackling. Can't sink it with my mytek converters without the audio breaking up. I've troubleshot all the obvious stuff: increased buffer, removed the mytek (converters) altogether. I'm just wondering if anyone else out there is using this box with DP with these problems. Maybe I have a bad unit.

Thanks,

j
kelldammit
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by kelldammit »

have you tried setting your work priority to "low" in dp?
you'll probably have to raise your buffers a bit too...

kell
Jaysplace101

Post by Jaysplace101 »

Do you have one of these kell? Just curious. I hate to turn work priority to low cause the quality goes out the window. If I have to do that, I think I'll go for a different unit.

Thanks for your reply,

j
kelldammit

Post by kelldammit »

i do not. i have a focusrite saffire, and i ran into a pretty similar problem. i was ready to give up and take it back when i happened across a rather generic "catch all" help hint on the motu website which said basically "if you're having problems, set the work priority to medium or low, and bump up buffers".
insofar as work priority, i don't think it necessarily degrades quality. there's a pretty good explaination of what it does in this thread:

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7802

it's one of the last posts on the second page, by magicd.

worst case, it's at least something quick and easy to try :)

kell
Jaysplace101

Post by Jaysplace101 »

By golly it worked Kell!

Thanks a bunch. I read magic Dave's explanation and it helped me to get past my worries about audio quality. I haven't tried "low" yet. I'll see if it stays happy on medium. I read here somewhere that audio quality goes down the drain when you take it off of high, but it sounds like it really has nothing to do with audio quality. I don't notice a difference in audio quality going from high to medium anyway.

Thanks a ton!

j
kelldammit

Post by kelldammit »

you're welcome. it's a handy little tip that i really had to go digging for when i was first having my trouble. it's a good thing to reiterate every so often, so that noobs (or just folks that bought new interfaces) don't have to dig quite so much...
enjoy!

kell