How do you zoom with the wiper?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Phil O
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: How do you zoom with the wiper?

Post by Phil O »

I have the Apple mouse - the wired one with the little ball for a scroll wheel. When I hold the cursor over the wiper handle (the rectangular part) and move the ball, it zooms with no keys involved. I don't know if they changed this in v8.04 or not.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

frankf wrote:
Shooshie wrote:
One other thing: it's easy to get the cursor "stuck" in zoom mode. That's when you see the magnifying glass, and you can't get rid of it, so the cursor doesn't work for anything but zooming. This is a product of having tapped the Z key twice. The fix is to tap the B key twice.

Shooshie

Shooshie,
I think the default to get the pointer tool back is tap the A key 2x. Maybe you customized it? (Maybe I did!)

Frank Ferrucci
Well, yes, that's the default, and that's what I SHOULD have used, but for some reason I was thinking of the default zoom, which has to do with the B key, and when I pressed the B key twice, it fixed it. Leave it to me to forget the default that I use dozens of times a day.

I was so disoriented when that zoom tool would not go away; in all the years I've used DP, I'd never had that happen to me before. My mind was racing with this cursor bug we had in 8.0 and 8.01, wondering if this was a new larva of the same bug. Then I was messing with the B key, which I knew had something to do with the default zoom, and that's how I remembered it.

But you're absolutely right. The default cursor can be reached always by tapping the A key, or double-tapping it to make it stick.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
frankf

Post by frankf »

Hey, at least you fixed it!

Frank Ferrucci
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

I use this all the time to quickly drill down to popping P's and then zoom back out. When zooming way in the view can drift horizontally along the time line a bit from where you want to be. But if you hold down both Control and Command it locks the zoom point horizontally. Hard to explain verbally but easy to see if you try it. Probably of not much use to most of you but I use it constantly. I've used the Control-wiper zoom for years but just found out about the extra Command key thing about 6 month ago though- by accident.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Great tip, Phil. I just tried that and it works great. Thanks.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Phil O wrote:Great tip, Phil. I just tried that and it works great. Thanks.

Phil
Glad it's useful! I thought about posting this tip a couple of times lately but it seemed too minor to post a whole thread about it. OTOH I use it about 20-30 times a day in my spoken word editing (which I do a ton of) so it's not really minor to me.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce