828Mk3 USB on Windows 8

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
BoatAshoreMinistry
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

828Mk3 USB on Windows 8

Post by BoatAshoreMinistry »

Considering upgrading my system from Windows 7 x64 to Windows 8. I was wondering if anyone here was having success with the current Motu drivers running on Windows 8 x64 via USB. Thanks!
UltimateOutsider
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: 828Mk3 USB on Windows 8

Post by UltimateOutsider »

I've used the UltraLite-mk3 (firewire-only) and PCIe-424/24I/O on Windows 8, and DAW benchmark performance results for those interfaces were 21-42% worse on Windows 8 than Windows 7 (versus two non-MOTU interfaces I tested, which performed a fair amount better than the MOTUs- but not better than they did on Win 7).

At least for the two MOTU devices I tested, the drivers are not fully Windows 8 ready yet. They work, but cannot handle as much of a load as they can under Win 7. I bet things will improve once MOTU officially supports Win 8 with new drivers.

I'll not comment on the relationship of Win 8's various performance tweaks to actual DAW performance, due to :deadhorse: but if you're interested in what Win 8 might bring you outside of music production, I'd strongly recommend either doing a full, validated backup of your Win 7 image before upgrading, or installing Win 8 to a separate drive or partition.
billruys
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: 828Mk3 USB on Windows 8

Post by billruys »

Further to what UltimateOutsider says, also the PCI-424 gear also often crashes at Windows start-up and the channel pairs are out of order in DAW applications - not sure if this is also true of the USB interfaces.

At any rate, the MOTU drivers are far from Windows 8 ready. If you don't want to be dissapointed, I would wait for new drivers.