Best plug to add 'hair' to a track

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
mjc
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Best plug to add 'hair' to a track

Post by mjc »

Another thumbs up for Alloy, though I use it more for Mastering the final mix.
Izotope's Nectar can do the necessary on a vocal;
I've had quite a lot of success with Blue Cat's Gain when I got a great vocal performance with too little of same (good singer, bad mic technique!).
And Character from Noveltech is quite subtle.

Mike
Mac Pro 2 x 2.4Ghz Quad Core, 14GB RAM, OSX 10.10.4, DP9.0 MachFive3, BFD3, Logic Pro X, 828MkII1, MTP AV, Mackie MC, A&H Zed 16R, POD X3 Korg SG pro X, 2 many guitars & amps
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

philbrown wrote:
mikehalloran wrote:I like Alloy.
Here's a link for those like me that never heard of Alloy:
http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/alloy/
Ah... where were my manners? Thanks for correcting my oversight.
Izotope's Nectar can do the necessary on a vocal;
http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/nectar/

There is overlap among Nectar, Alloy and Ozone 5 Advanced. I don't see myself updating to Alloy 2 for a while - other priorities at the moment.
http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/ozone/
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Dwetmaster

Post by Dwetmaster »

mikehalloran wrote:...I don't see myself updating to Alloy 2 for a while - other priorities at the moment.
http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/ozone/
That's what I thought but since I've upgraded, I find it is still a step up in clarity of the UI of the plug in. I find it now easier to get from A to B without fiddling too much...

And they now have a gazillion presets that are great starting points...
MacPro 8Core 2.8GHZ 16GB RAM OSX10.8.3
MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 2011 OSX10.8.3
896mk3, BLA Modded 896HD, BLA Microclock, MTP-AV, Yamaha KX-8, CME VX-7 Mackie Ctrl, megadrum, Presonus C-S,
DP8.04, Bidule, M5 3, Ethno 2, BPM 1.5 Kontakt4, BFD2, SD2, Omnisphere, Wave Arts P-S5, Altiverb7, PSP VW & OldTimer, VB3, Ivory 2 Grand, True Pianos, Ozone 5, Reason 4, AmpliTube3, Bla bla bla...
A few El & Ac basses & Guitars, Hammond A-100.
Kubi

Post by Kubi »

Slate Digital VCC and VTM. Game-changing plugs, IMO. Very subtle effect, yet not subtle at all. Not cheap and not easy on the machine, but man are they worth it... still have a sale going on.
http://www.slatedigital.com

For slightly more obvious effects, I turn to SoundToys Decapitator, or the already mentioned Devil-Loc Deluxe (which can go from subtle to ridiculous), or to one of the more "vibey" Softube or Abbey Road compressors/EQs. Also, Kush Audio UBK-1 can be the ticket sometimes.

Mixing in a hair of over-compressed, distorted track (also already mentioned earlier in this thread) is another great technique, use that a lot, in addition to the plugs listed.

Also, it's really helpful to have one great Neve-style preamp on hand. If you can't afford one now, it's something to work towards. Either record through it on the way in, or, provided your AD/DA conversion is good, pipe tracks out through the pre and back in. Works miracles on sampled or synth tracks, better than any plug-in.
Kubi
---------------------------------------------------
Kubilay Uner
http://kubilayuner.com
MacPro 2x2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 20GB RAM; OS 10.9.5; DP9.01; MOTU 2408mk3 & MIDI Express 128 w/latest drivers
mikebeckmotu
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by mikebeckmotu »

Here are a few I'm remembering that could possibly work, and I'll try to avoid ones that were already mentioned. Some of them are not yet 64-bit, and there are a few free plugins.

URS - Saturation
Nomad Factory - various plugins have tube simulation in them (see the Analog Signature Pack and Analog Trackbox), and the BlueTubes collection has a Valve Driver effect
AirWindows - Iron Oxide, Density (free), Drive (free)
TriTone Digital - ColorTone
Voxengo - VariSaturator, Warmifier, Tube Amp (free)
SKnote - Roundtone
Mellowmuse - SATV Saturator
WaveArts - Tube Saturator
CamelAudio - CamelPhat and CamelCrusher (free)
Togu Audio Line - TAL-tube (free)
OHM Force - OHMicide and Predatohm
Waves - Kramer Master Tape
SPL - TwinTube
DP's Preamp-1
8-core i9 MacBookPro 16-inch, 16gb ram, Catalina, Focusrite Scarlett 18i8, DP not installed yet
AnthonyS
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by AnthonyS »

Phil:

+1 on the Devil-Loc. As MLC said, it's 32-bit. I didn't see in your specs what ver DP you're running.

I also like Kramer Master Tape. I push it a little to get some "hair". Also McDSP's FutzBox can do some interesting things, from subtle to extreme.

Also look into the Antares Avox EVO Vocal Toolkit. www.audiomidi.com has no brainers of some of the individual plugs from the bundle. I particularly like "Warm" the tube saturation emulator, and there's also one called "Punch" which looks pretty interesting.

Good luck....
MacBook Pro 15" 2G QuadCore i7,8G RAM, 20"Intel iMac 2.4Ghz , 4G RAM.OSX 10.8.3 on both, DP 7.24, MOTU 828MK3, AudioBox 1818, KRK Rokit 6G2, Omnisphere 1.5, Komplete 8, Amplitube 2&3, SampleTank, Sonik Synth2, SampleMoog, SampleTron, Ivory 2, Philharmonik, EWQL MOR, SC, SOG, SD2, Reason 6, Waves, McDSP, Slate Digital VCC, FGX, Sound Toys.
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

URS Saturation is also 32bit with many users wondering if they'll ever be updated to 64bit.........
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Thanks for all the good input everyone! Right now I'm personally doing a bunch of audio work that doesn't need 'hair' and some live gigs before I get back to the projects that this applies to. Several plugs have been mentioned that I already own but hadn't thought of in this context, which is nice.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce