Broken MIDI output assigments for instrument tracks

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Broken MIDI output assigments for instrument tracks

Post by stubbsonic »

I have some of the same VI's on my laptop as on my tower. In particular, I use Apple's DLS instrument, or pianoteq for quick arranging tasks.

The problem I'm having is that every time I go from my laptop to my tower or vice versa, either the DLS instrument track or the output assignments from the MIDI tracks become "forgotten" and italicized.

It would be nice if DP would see/recognize the instrument track on a different machine. But I guess I can understand why it might want to break that link.

What I'd like to know is if any of you have a good process for setting up instruments and MIDI tracks that play them, where you don't have to re-assign each output every time you move from working at home to working on a laptop & vice versa?
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
monkey man

Re: Broken MIDI output assigments for instrument tracks

Post by monkey man »

Just a thought:

Are your AMS setups identical between the two machines? Why not try copying the config file and making sure it's loaded in both.

I say this 'cause channel/device names could differ for whatever reason (and perhaps other parameters?), which could conceivably cause DP not to recognise them as the same across machines for a given project.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Thanks, that's a good idea. I won't be able to make them exactly the same, because one is a PPC and one is a MBP, different MIDI controllers, drivers, etc. But I'll look at some of those other factors.

Another thing I need to mess with more is the INSTRUMENTS tab on the bundles window. I'm going to try to create some instruments in there, and see if they carry over in the ported file. Perhaps I can relink there (without having to go one track at a time).

I'll report back on both.

Thanks.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Please do so, Stubbsie; it could be helpful to many folks.

Personally I'd have gone with the AMS experiment first before messin' with DP's assignments; after all the latter reflects the former, I've been told... a while ago... by someone... :lol:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I recently posted this solution in the tips thread, but thought I'd post it on this year-old thread since it applies.

This process provides a pretty quick way to fix the broken links --that now happen with regularity-- even when I'm opening a project on the same machine!

1. Select one or more MIDI TRACKS
2. SHIFT-UP/DOWN ARROW to change output destination (device/VI)
3. OPT-UP/DOWN ARROW to change output channel
4. SHIFT-OPT-UP/DOWN ARROW to move selection to next track

Notice that you can select a group of tracks and change the device/VI and it will retain the channel settings even if you change the device. If you change the MIDI channel of multiple tracks it will nudge each channel setting up/down one-at-a-time.

So even though DP will often break a link between a MIDI track and a perfectly good VI, showing it's output in italics, and making me select the exact same MIDI output again; at least now I don't have to do them one at a time. Happy.

MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I saw that and greatly appreciate the info! Thanks.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS