Transfering DP projects to PT sessions?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Shogun Assassin
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Transfering DP projects to PT sessions?

Post by Shogun Assassin »

I have a few DP projects that I have to transfer to Pro tools.
What is the best way to transfer these files while keep as much as possible (tempo changes, comments, etc)?
I've all ready backed up all of the projects so if something happens, nothing will be lost.
"Its . . .!" -Monty Python
rickorick
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Transfering DP projects to PT sessions?

Post by rickorick »

I have to do this too. What I do is merge all the soundbites from measure 1 to the end of the song,
and then export all the tracks to a folder that I can copy to another hard drive. I also make a Standard MIDI file
for tempo etc. I'm not worried about plug ins cause
I'm not mixing so the raw audio tracks work fine.
This works for anything Logic etc. because all the DAW's can play the audio and Standard MIDI files.
Used 2012 Mac Pro 3.33 6 Core 16g ram 10.8.5 DP 7.24
Shogun Assassin

rickorick wrote:I have to do this too. What I do is merge all the soundbites from measure 1 to the end of the song,
and then export all the tracks to a folder that I can copy to another hard drive. I also make a Standard MIDI file
for tempo etc. I'm not worried about plug ins cause
I'm not mixing so the raw audio tracks work fine.
This works for anything Logic etc. because all the DAW's can play the audio and Standard MIDI files.
could you please explain the MIDI transfer a bit more? i don't use MIDI much. If i have a MIDI file and import it into PT, how do i get PT to switch to the tempos of the MIDI?
rickorick

Post by rickorick »

If you use DP you use MIDI. Now if you don't set up a
click or drum pattern to play to and are just playing free the tempo change is in your audio file.
Do you have Pro Tools? Because I don't. But I have used Standard MIDI files with DP and I just open it
and DP sees it.
You are going to have to play around with this to figure
it out. Just make a small session and see if you can get it to work and then start transferring the files you want.
Used 2012 Mac Pro 3.33 6 Core 16g ram 10.8.5 DP 7.24
stephentayler

Post by stephentayler »

[/quote]
could you please explain the MIDI transfer a bit more? i don't use MIDI much. If i have a MIDI file and import it into PT, how do i get PT to switch to the tempos of the MIDI?[/quote]

You can import Session Data into ProTools and there is an option for MIDI (from memory)

Do it first and then import the audio files to tracks.

Cheers

Stephen
Stephen W Tayler: Sound Artist
http://www.chimera-arts.com
http://ostinatomusic.com
http://stephentayler.com

Mac Pro 16Gb RAM, OSX 10.10, DP 8, PT 11, Logic 9.1.8, MOTU Traveler, Ultralite Mk 3 Hybrid, MC MIx, MOTU VIs, Waves, Izotope Everything, Spectrasonics, SoundToys, Slate, Softube, NI , spl Surround Monitor Controller, spl Auditor Headphone amp, Genelec 1031A, 1029 5.1 system, Sontronics Mics, iPad etc..
Shogun Assassin

thanks for the tips. i'll try it out this afternoon.