Focusrite Saffire with DP4.12?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
jonotronic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Focusrite Saffire with DP4.12?

Post by jonotronic »

HI there,
I'm wondering if anyone has any experience of using the Focusrite Saffire interface with DP 4.12. I run an 800 Mhz G4 titanium (running 10.3.9), with one firewire port.

Do the supplied plugins work ok (AU format)? They look quite nice...
Would both a Lacie D2 and the Saffire be cool to run off one port, or would I need a PCMCIA firewire card? Do these cards suffer in performance compared to built in ports?

hope you can help thanking y'all
mersis
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Focusrite Saffire with DP4.12?

Post by mersis »

my frieend ordered one

They stilla rent out yet
jonotronic

Post by jonotronic »

I'll answer my own question, as I bought one the other day.
The phantom powering didn't work (although the line input is fine), and the performance was erratic to say the least. The CPU hit seemed pretty high, it drove my 800Mhz powerbook nuts running 4 channels of audio that usually run fine on Mac AV, with a couple of trackplugs and 1 Altiverb 4. A Lacie D2 is connected to the chain out on the saffire.

I phoned Focusrite and their helpful tech guy said there was a problem with some early models. I returned it in exchange for another one. Same problem!!! (it isn't the sE2200 mic, runs fine into a mixer)

I'm waiting on another being shipped from focusrite. Reason being, plugins sound great.
Hopefully this one actually works properly. Anyone else had problems?
newrigel

Post by newrigel »

No, but I was going to get one because of the price but now....
Last edited by newrigel on Sun Sep 04, 2005 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
danes

Post by danes »

jonotronic, what's your setup?

Im also planning to buy one myself but I need to hear more opinions.
G5 1,8Ghz|OSX 10.3.9|DP 5.1|Kontakt|Reaktor|Reason|Waves Diamond 5
jonotronic

Post by jonotronic »

My setup is:
powerbook G4 800 Mhz 512Mb
Lacie d2 160 Gb firewire
Dp4.12
OSX 10.3.9

The focusrite seems to cause the processor to max out way more than the built in Audio, even when the control software is disabled. One instance of Altiverb 4 on a send causes the thing to go nuts (and the audio crackling), with 5 audio channels, two running wave arts trackplug. The Lacie drive is plugged in last in the chain.
Would a firewire device impose a load on the processor, more so than built in? I've tinkered with the buffer settings, but with no effect.

I have another one on order, but an M-Audio firewire 410 is being considered...
jonotronic

Post by jonotronic »

My setup is:
powerbook G4 800 Mhz 512Mb
Lacie d2 160 Gb firewire
Dp4.12
OSX 10.3.9

The focusrite seems to cause the processor to max out way more than the built in Audio, even when the control software is disabled. One instance of Altiverb 4 on a send causes the thing to go nuts (and the audio crackling), with 5 audio channels, two running wave arts trackplug. The Lacie drive is plugged in last in the chain.
Would a firewire device impose a load on the processor, more so than built in? I've tinkered with the buffer settings, but with no effect.

I have another one on order, but an M-Audio firewire 410 is being considered...
mlehmann

Post by mlehmann »

Did you downloaded the latest installer from Focusrite website and run the firmware upgrade? I've got one this week and it works perfectly. I have none of the problems you talked about. I used to have a FW410 and the Saffire is way better. The plugins are really great too, except the amp simulator.
MacBookPro, 10.64, MOTU Ultralite, DP7.2, Live Suite 8, Logic Studio 9, MaxMSP 5
danes

Post by danes »

mlehmann, how do you compare three of them? 410,saffire and built-in audio...which one has less cpu load in your system?
G5 1,8Ghz|OSX 10.3.9|DP 5.1|Kontakt|Reaktor|Reason|Waves Diamond 5
brood

Post by brood »

I was given one to test & found it to be crap. At first it ran just fine, then once I changed the sample rate.... it didn't work right any more. Did the same thing from a G5, Laptop, and a Mac Mini. The plugz weren't anything special either. Total thumbs down from me.
jonotronic

Post by jonotronic »

Brood, thats interesting you should mention the sample rate problem. Mine certainly didn't like the sample rate being changed, and the 192khz option wouldn't work. Focusrite recommend a 1.3ghz or thereabouts for the 192 option, but I was surprised the option wouldn't work at all on a G4 800. A few friends of mine have FW410s which I might have a shot of. They seem very happy with the 410, no hassles involved.

The firmware was updated, and the latest installer was used.
Mick G Focusrite

Post by Mick G Focusrite »

The CPU load issue is to do with performance issues with small L2 Caches. It particularly effects older powerbooks with low (256k) L2 caches. The Saffire actually uses Apples core audio driver and the same issue has been reported using other Manufacturers Firewire interfaces that use the same driver. Both Focusrite and Apple are aware of the issue and are working on a fix.

We are also aware of the sample rate problems and are working on a fix which will be released on our Website as soon as it has been tested. The 192kHz option is currently disabled in Saffire control however we are currently in the process of beta testing the Saffire at 192kHz and this will also be posted as an update on our website as soon as it has been thoroughly tested.

For all of the latest updates check out http://www.focusrite.com/productdetails ... =downloads

Mick Gilbert
Focusrite Support
mlehmann

Post by mlehmann »

danes wrote:mlehmann, how do you compare three of them? 410,saffire and built-in audio...which one has less cpu load in your system?
On my system (PB G4 1.33), CPU differences between those three is negligible.

I find the Saffire really superior to the FW410. Better preamps, balanced outs, multiple headphones mixes and the combination of DSP and Saffire Control is great for tracking. And speaking of drivers problems, originally, the FW410 was a mess.
MacBookPro, 10.64, MOTU Ultralite, DP7.2, Live Suite 8, Logic Studio 9, MaxMSP 5
jonotronic

Post by jonotronic »

Mick is quite correct about other interfaces having the same problem. I tried an Edirol FA101 to compare and it had the same hassles!
It would be good if manufacturers would put this information in their spec, as it would have been good to know this in advance.
Kudos to focusrite for getting back to me so quickly, their chaps in support are on the ball.
It sounds nicer than the edirol too, even for playing back stuff from Itunes.