Which string library is the best? Help!

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Gate 13
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Which string library is the best? Help!

Post by Gate 13 »

I found this info at dan dean group buys:

Please be advised that you must have the appropriate "host application" to use the libraries. The new Kontakt 4 "pro" version will play all of the above libraries. Please keep in mind that the "free" Kontakt Player 4 from NI will not play Kontakt 4 libraries - it will only play full Kontakt libraries in "demo" mode. You need to make sure your current sampling software will either import/convert /play these libraries, or purchase a crossgrade from Kontakt 4 Player to Kontakt 4 Pro for $279.99 (list price is $399.00)...
This means it will not play at kontakt 4? I have never hard of Kontakt 4 Pro...
any advise?
Mac Pro 2X 2.66 GHz Dual Core Intel Xeon, Snow Leopard OS X 10.6.8, 13GB RAM/ DP 7.24/ Plogue Bidule/SWQL Symphonic Orchestra (Gold),Hollywood Brass(Gold), SWQL RA, SD2, Symphonic Choirs/KONTAKT 4, Cinesamples Hollywoodwinds
jloeb

Post by jloeb »

Kontakt 4 "Pro" = Kontakt 4.

Calling it "pro" is only to distinguish it from the free Kontakt 4 Player which comes free with some instrument libraries.

If you paid for Kontakt 4, you have what you need, don't worry.
Gate 13

Post by Gate 13 »

THANKS FOR THE QUICK RESPONSE....

THE NEXT QUESTION I......IS IT WORTHY? THEY DON'T INCLUDE ANY DEMOS, OR REVIEWS OR ANYTHING....IT IS SCARY, ISN'T IT?
Mac Pro 2X 2.66 GHz Dual Core Intel Xeon, Snow Leopard OS X 10.6.8, 13GB RAM/ DP 7.24/ Plogue Bidule/SWQL Symphonic Orchestra (Gold),Hollywood Brass(Gold), SWQL RA, SD2, Symphonic Choirs/KONTAKT 4, Cinesamples Hollywoodwinds
timriley

Post by timriley »

There are some samples on this page.

http://www.dandeanpro.com/sample_lib/pr ... php?pid=14" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The library sounds ok to me. Fairly natural. At the full price of $199 i'd probably opt for the LASS First Chair library myself (currently going for $299). Although for $64, it's definitely worth consideration.
Mac Pro Quad XEON/2.8Ghz/12GB RAM

Macbook Pro Core Duo/2.16Ghz/2GB RAM

OSX 10.6.8/DP7.22
timriley

Post by timriley »

Here's a review from Sound On Sound.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun09/a ... eanssa.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, according to the news section of their website, the library was used in some of "Celine Dion’s new CD’s".

:wink:

OSX 10.6.8/DP7.22
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

I use LASS, EWQLSO, original Miroslav. Especially love LASS
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS12.7.5, DP11.32, all Waves, all SLATE,PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, most all Orchestral Tools, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Thanks for the pointer; I couldn't find any audio demos at their website last night, so threw out my info about the group buy.

I did buy the no-brainer full bass edition from audiomidi.com last year, just because it included some rare instruments, but it is thin on the ground, one velocity level only, no legato mode, no scripting, etc.

-------------------

Hmm, that's strange: the audio demos are at the bottom of the product info sheet for the advanced strings library. Those didn't show up in Safari on my Mac last night, but show up today in Firefox on Windows (but I can't listen to audio at work).

Here's an enticing comment from the SOS review:

"While it doesn’t offer velocity-switched layers, SSA more than compensates with its unique divisi and timbral impulse features."

That might be enough to interest me after all -- unless LASS First Chair includes anything similar (i.e. divisi and other uncommon features).
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Just chiming in here to say that now that I've tried the Miroslav Philharmonik 2 from the "no brainer" deal, I've got to say that when using a WX-5 or EWI (or a Yamaha BC3 headset, possibly with a MIDI Solutions Breath Control converter, all available from Amazon) this little library ROCKS. The strings are very expressive when using breath control. This is more than I can say for the vast majority of string libraries out there. With this kind of expressivity, one might be able to get sounds that rival much more expensive libraries such as VSL. "Might" is the word I used. I haven't actually pitted them against each other. But I can easily get a more expressive solo violin sound with Miroslav than I can get from VSL using breath control.

For $15 you'd be crazy not to try this.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Gate 13

Post by Gate 13 »

Shooshie wrote:Just chiming in here to say that now that I've tried the Miroslav Philharmonik 2 from the "no brainer" deal, I've got to say that when using a WX-5 or EWI (or a Yamaha BC3 headset, possibly with a MIDI Solutions Breath Control converter, all available from Amazon) this little library ROCKS. The strings are very expressive when using breath control. This is more than I can say for the vast majority of string libraries out there. With this kind of expressivity, one might be able to get sounds that rival much more expensive libraries such as VSL. "Might" is the word I used. I haven't actually pitted them against each other. But I can easily get a more expressive solo violin sound with Miroslav than I can get from VSL using breath control.

For $15 you'd be crazy not to try this.

Shooshie
Shooshie, please give me information about the breath controller you use...I always thought to buy one but I was discouraged by many MIDI programmers and musicians...
please advise
thanks
waterstrum
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by waterstrum »

I just went to check out the Dan Dean offer.
As of this moment there are only 94 subscribers.
This means that the price is now $149.
Looks like it takes 900 subscribers to bring it down to $69.
All is well
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Gate 13 wrote:
Shooshie, please give me information about the breath controller you use...I always thought to buy one but I was discouraged by many MIDI programmers and musicians...
please advise
thanks

I play a Yamaha WX-5. It is, in my opinion as a woodwind player, the finest of the MIDI wind instruments. Before that, it was the WX-7. I've been playing these as long as I've been working in MIDI -- since about 1987. I was a professional woodwind player, concertizing on the sax, so I had a head start, but I suppose one can learn one from scratch. But really, it takes a wind player to do a great job with these instruments. It takes time to master one, even for one who already plays winds. There are lots of critical things to know in how it works, how it relates to MIDI instruments, and how to re-make patches so that they are Breath Control capable.

The Breath Control problem is that most sounds are programmed for keyboards, and keyboards require "envelopes" to shape the sound somewhat like a real performer might do. Those tend to make every note sound the same, and they get very tiring to the ear. Keyboardists also need "articulations" to make different kinds of sounds. Actually, MIDI Wind players can benefit from those, too, but if the instrument is very well programmed, they can create all their articulations in real time -- just by playing them.

Envelopes require a starting point. That point is Velocity. Velocity is the enemy of the MIDI Wind Instrument, because it auto-selects a velocity layer among the samples for that note, and the sound can never exceed that volume or utilize the other layers once the velocity has chosen the initial sample layer. A patch has to be reprogrammed to work without velocity if it's going to be expressive. Good programming means that as you increase the volume, the note will crossfade between its velocity layers, seamlessly, to produce the timbrel qualities of the real instrument at that volume. There are lots of different approaches, but in the past the programmers basically ignored breath controllers. It was up to us to make the patches work, and sometimes that just couldn't be done. It's been a long road, but as of the past 5 years, more libraries now are allowing the use of any controller to operate any feature, so velocity is being shoved aside as just one option. It's no longer the king. Programmers are incorporating breath control into the picture so that you get intelligent programming even if you use BC or Expression as continuous controllers. (or mod wheel, or whatever) Breath Control seems to be the best option when it's available. Some libraries utilize breath control a little differently than Expression. Others do not differentiate between them; they are exactly the same.

But for keyboardists, I do not recommend a WX-5 or EWI. There's just too much involved in learning those instruments. They're very sensitive instruments, but they're also machines, and you have to know how the machine works. So, instead, I recommend the BC-3 Headset by Yamaha. It can provide the "envelope" in real time while you play the keys on the keyboard. This is an excellent mode of expression, and the leap in quality of you musical lines will be extremely evident from the beginning. The more you use it, the better you get at it.

You can get a BC-3 at Amazon at a $40 discount off regular price. Yamaha BC3 headset. If you wish to use a BC3 headset, but your keyboard does not have a BC port, you'll also need a breath control converter box.

You may feel silly at first wearing a headset, blowing into a tube. But when you hear what you can do that way, I think any self-consciousness will go away. It's not plug-and-play. There is a lot to learn to get the most out of these. I just exposed you to the basics. It's up to you to find the rest, I guess, but we can always answer questions. The main thing is finding libraries that are Breath Control friendly, or making them that way yourself. You can also use the Custom Consoles in Digital Performer to convert BC into Expression in real-time if necessary. But once you experience a good patch or sample with excellent BC control, you'll never want to go back.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

Shooshie wrote:Just chiming in here to say that now that I've tried the Miroslav Philharmonik 2 from the "no brainer" deal, I've got to say that when using a WX-5 or EWI (or a Yamaha BC3 headset, possibly with a MIDI Solutions Breath Control converter, all available from Amazon) this little library ROCKS. The strings are very expressive when using breath control. [...]
Yes, I'm glad you did. But yet, in my setup, I can't get the Miroslav No Brainer instruments to respond to the EWI breath control. Maybe the big Miroslav library instruments would do that.
I'll keep investigating, though, for any wind instrument without breath-control is a joke. And so is any solo string instrument.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.32, OS12.7.5, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480, Sparkverb
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
timriley

Post by timriley »

waterstrum wrote:I just went to check out the Dan Dean offer.
As of this moment there are only 94 subscribers.
This means that the price is now $149.
Looks like it takes 900 subscribers to bring it down to $69.
By my reckoning the library will probably go for either $119 or at a push $99. Still not a bad deal I guess.

OSX 10.6.8/DP7.22
Gate 13

Post by Gate 13 »

Shooshie wrote:
Gate 13 wrote:
please advise
thanks

I play a Yamaha WX-5. It is, in my opinion as a woodwind player, the finest of the MIDI wind instruments. Before that, it was the WX-7. I've been playing these as long as I've been working in MIDI -- since about 1987. I was a professional woodwind player, concertizing on the sax, so I had a head start, but I suppose one can learn one from scratch. But really, it takes a wind player to do a great job with these instruments. It takes time to master one, even for one who already plays winds. There are lots of critical things to know in how it works, how it relates to MIDI instruments, and how to re-make patches so that they are Breath Control capable.

The Breath Control problem is that most sounds are programmed for keyboards, and keyboards require "envelopes" to shape the sound somewhat like a real performer might do. Those tend to make every note sound the same, and they get very tiring to the ear. Keyboardists also need "articulations" to make different kinds of sounds. Actually, MIDI Wind players can benefit from those, too, but if the instrument is very well programmed, they can create all their articulations in real time -- just by playing them.

Envelopes require a starting point. That point is Velocity. Velocity is the enemy of the MIDI Wind Instrument, because it auto-selects a velocity layer among the samples for that note, and the sound can never exceed that volume or utilize the other layers once the velocity has chosen the initial sample layer. A patch has to be reprogrammed to work without velocity if it's going to be expressive. Good programming means that as you increase the volume, the note will crossfade between its velocity layers, seamlessly, to produce the timbrel qualities of the real instrument at that volume. There are lots of different approaches, but in the past the programmers basically ignored breath controllers. It was up to us to make the patches work, and sometimes that just couldn't be done. It's been a long road, but as of the past 5 years, more libraries now are allowing the use of any controller to operate any feature, so velocity is being shoved aside as just one option. It's no longer the king. Programmers are incorporating breath control into the picture so that you get intelligent programming even if you use BC or Expression as continuous controllers. (or mod wheel, or whatever) Breath Control seems to be the best option when it's available. Some libraries utilize breath control a little differently than Expression. Others do not differentiate between them; they are exactly the same.

But for keyboardists, I do not recommend a WX-5 or EWI. There's just too much involved in learning those instruments. They're very sensitive instruments, but they're also machines, and you have to know how the machine works. So, instead, I recommend the BC-3 Headset by Yamaha. It can provide the "envelope" in real time while you play the keys on the keyboard. This is an excellent mode of expression, and the leap in quality of you musical lines will be extremely evident from the beginning. The more you use it, the better you get at it.

You can get a BC-3 at Amazon at a $40 discount off regular price. Yamaha BC3 headset. If you wish to use a BC3 headset, but your keyboard does not have a BC port, you'll also need a breath control converter box.

You may feel silly at first wearing a headset, blowing into a tube. But when you hear what you can do that way, I think any self-consciousness will go away. It's not plug-and-play. There is a lot to learn to get the most out of these. I just exposed you to the basics. It's up to you to find the rest, I guess, but we can always answer questions. The main thing is finding libraries that are Breath Control friendly, or making them that way yourself. You can also use the Custom Consoles in Digital Performer to convert BC into Expression in real-time if necessary. But once you experience a good patch or sample with excellent BC control, you'll never want to go back.

Shooshie
Thanks a lot for this great and informative response....the breath controller is the MIDI solutions one?
Thanks
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

Done!!!
Volume control reassigned to breath, higher and lower values choosed, velocity compressed and voila! A great bassoon with this little library. Wow!
Not so easy to get my way thru, but once again Shooshie did it (on the other thread). Thanks so much for sharing!
Last edited by daniel.sneed on Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.32, OS12.7.5, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480, Sparkverb
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...