Happy Birthday James Marshall Hendrix

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
kassonica
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Happy Birthday James Marshall Hendrix

Post by kassonica »

This man who only released 4 albums in his lifetime and revolutionized the way one played an electric guitar. He changed our perception of what was possible and was a complete original.

AYE

Axis bold as love

Electric ladyland

Band of gypsies

Pick a fave.

Ps mine is Axis and Band of gypsies.
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
jgest

Re: Happy Birthday James Marshall Hendrix

Post by jgest »

:D I'd agree with your choices. Such a tremendous influence in my musical journey...
Macbook pro, 3 gigs of ram, osx 10.62, Dp 5.13, Live 8.1.2, Reason 4, Tc powercore Virus, Albino 3.02, proper ergonomic sitting posture, plenty of coffee (french press only with a pinch of cardamon added)
My dp inspired music.....
http://www.myspace.com/aislingbeing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/wigginsmaroo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.mp3.com.au/artist.asp?id=10004" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I used to like to say years ago that if Jimi hadn't died so young, years later people would have been overheard saying "Eddie Van who?"

The man was so far ahead of the curve and ahead of his time, that had he lived there would have been precious little "new ground" to break for those who were to come after him.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.32, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

You know I've never thought about that James but by gosh you are right. Had he lived even another 5 years he would have made it hard for EVH and most other guitarists.
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

kassonica wrote:You know I've never thought about that James but by gosh you are right. Had he lived even another 5 years he would have made it hard for EVH and most other guitarists.
Using the word "hard" is being kind. "Nearly impossible" seems more like it. Hendrix was to electric guitar what Michael Jordan was to the game of basketball. I personally have no doubt that if Jimi had lived longer and remained on his current trajectory, he would have innovated to the point that very little would have been left undone for the people that came later.

Perhaps I'm romanticizing it, but consider what he was doing and then what his peers were doing in the same time period. I'm always amused when younger guitarists listen to Jimmy Page for example and say "well, that's no big deal." Well yeah! TODAY it may be no big deal but in the 60s it was some pretty heady stuff! Then again, Hendrix's genius is still genius today, not just when compared to other "guitar heroes" of his day.

Interestingly enough, what seems most beautiful about his playing was his fluid comping style and beautiful tone... not just his lead playing. I mean how many guitarists leave that sort of impact where they leave an identifiable style behind. "That sounds like Hendrix!" Jimi's contribution can't be overstated.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.32, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

I'm a keyboard player with ZERO guitar chops, but when I first heard the album "Are You Experienced?" (in Atlanta with Johnny Winter's ex-wife, BTW...we were just friends) I was literally blown away. I had never heard anyone play guitar like that.

When I returned to the Shaw AFB Band in SC a few days later, I grabbed the guitarist and said "LISTEN TO THIS!".

He was equally in awe (jaw dropping awe).

Interesting point, though, had he lived longer, if other guitarists would have become known, or as well known, as they did in his absence.

Buzzy
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

billf

Post by billf »

kassonica wrote:Happy Birthday James Marshall Hendrix
I've never heard of that guy. :wink:
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

billf wrote:
Hehehe... there's always one smart aleck! :D

Yeah, Hendrix was good but he was no Ace Frehley!

kassonica

Post by kassonica »

billf wrote:
Or electric ladyland :wink:
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

...and Marhsall was his middle name. How's that for symbolism?

Guitar world was never the same after Hendrix. That man was a genius of a musician, let alone a guitarist.
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

His songwriting was equal to his gtr playing IMHO, and his melodies and vocal phrasing is underrated extremely hard for others to do.
billf

Post by billf »

kassonica wrote:
billf wrote:
Or electric ladyland :wink:

Oh that guy! 8)
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1