MOTU Micro Express - Selecting Presets using patch change

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
rantony
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

MOTU Micro Express - Selecting Presets using patch change

Post by rantony »

Hello everybody,

I have a Micro Express USB version. In the user manual (Windows section, Chapter 6 Front Panel Presets) on page 49, it states:

OVERVIEW

This chapter describes your MOTU Express interface's eight factory presets and explain how to:

- Select a factory preset or one of eight user presets from the front panel

- Create your own user presets

- Use the Presets window in ClockWorks

- Select presets using patch change from any MIDI source (such as a keyboard controller or sequencer)
The joke is that there is absolutly no information about the last point ! Does ClockWorks for Windows really allow to set the Micro Express to respond to MIDI patch change to select the Presets ???

If I go in the Mac OS section of the manual, Chapter 6 Clockworks for Mac OS 9, the manual DO provide the instructions about SWITCHING PRESETS USING MIDI PATCH CHANGE on page 94.

Does ClockWorks for Mac OS 9 have features that ClockWorks for Windows doesn't ? Am I missing something obvious or will I need to purchase an old iMac with Mac OS 9 installed on ???

Thanks for your help !
artright
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: MOTU Micro Express - Selecting Presets using patch change

Post by artright »

I don't mind telling you that I also have read both MAC and WINDOWS manuals on the Express, MOTU 2408mkIII and the 828mkII and totally agree with your findings. Sometimes I look at all the manuals I have for the products and find it is like reading a English one then reading a french ver of the same manual. I really don't believe that MOTU has taken a lot of pride in transcribing their manuals at all.

That being said, I am firmly convinced that as is the audio world goes MAC so does MOTU with the effort they put into their products. In other words, if the MAC owns about 85% of all the high end audio and Windows has 14% (I pray for the 1%) they just don't see it as a big deal to work too, too hard on the manual or the support for that matter.

The only thing left to do is to wait on the phone till the tech guy gets to you. Also, be prepared for a lot of busy signals when you call. I've also surmised that they do not have many techs on board.

Best of luck
rantony
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: MOTU Micro Express - Selecting Presets using patch change

Post by rantony »

I am firmly convinced that as is the audio world goes MAC so does MOTU with the effort they put into their products.
I understand what you mean, but the other joke is that...

According to the manual, Chapter 5 Clockworks for Mac OS X, there is no mention at all about swithching presets using MIDI patch change !!!

It looks like ClockWorks for Mac OS 9 is more up-to-date than Clockworks for Mac OS X !!!