Quicktime movie offset not working

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
jborum
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Quicktime movie offset not working

Post by jborum »

I encountered a strange little bug today. I've set up a new G5 8 core with DP 5.13 and I'm using the firewire video output to send my video to a monitor. For some strange reason the playback offset isn't working. This box has a latency of about 6 frames, but whether I set the offset to 0 or 6 or 30 it plays back the same way.

This feature worked perfectly on my G4, also with DP5 and the same converter box. The firewire video playback is useless without latency compensation in effect. What's going on?
zaque
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by zaque »

Have you Copied the Audio from the Movie into your Sequence and muted the audio on the movie window (option-click the volume on the movie window to mute/un-mute)? The option to Copy the audio to your sequence is in the Movie Window's mini-menu.

Take a look at

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... e+playback
modular

Re: Quicktime movie offset not working

Post by modular »

jborum wrote:I encountered a strange little bug today. I've set up a new G5 8 core with DP 5.13 and I'm using the firewire video output to send my video to a monitor. For some strange reason the playback offset isn't working. This box has a latency of about 6 frames, but whether I set the offset to 0 or 6 or 30 it plays back the same way.

This feature worked perfectly on my G4, also with DP5 and the same converter box. The firewire video playback is useless without latency compensation in effect. What's going on?
I have a similar problem. In my case, the playback offset doesn't stick about half the time. When changing chunks I now have to go to the Movie window, turn off the offset and then turn it back on. That seems to correct the problem though it's a pain. BTW, I run DP under DAE and tech support says that may be the source of the problem. I'm hoping DP6 rectifies this.
zaque

Post by zaque »

I have that same problem and I'm not running under DAE. It just appears to be a common bug, unfortunately.
jborum

Post by jborum »

That thread almost addresses my problem, but not quite. The movie on screen is always perfectly in sync with the audio. The movie that goes out through firewire is delayed somewhat, and when I watch both movies at once they do not match. I need the offset to work so that I can trust the sync on my firewire movie, but it appears to be dysfunctional in DP5.

Are there any tricks to make this movie offset do what it's supposed to do? It worked fine in DP4.
martian

Post by martian »

I had this issue when I upgraded from dp 5.11 to 5.12 - this is when they added streamers playing out over firewire video - i tried 5.13 but it was still there.

I reported it to motu and tech support acknowledged they could replicate the issue - they didn't say when they would fix it tho.....

please get in touch with them so as they know it's affecting many users...

I have had to go back to 5.11 - and the quicktime playback offset is stable there... I ONLY use DP with vid so this is a deal breaker - it randomly jumps between several values on 5.12 and after-

dp5.12 and 5.13 offer me nothing I want or need - but I hope they address this is dp6

I'm guessing you guys are PAL users too?
macpro 3 gig - 5 Gig RAM 10.6.3 Motu 2408 mk 2 Mackie HUI DP 7.21 intel imac 3 gig ram traveller OS 10.6.3

http://www.fork-media.com
zaque

Post by zaque »

jborum wrote:That thread almost addresses my problem, but not quite. The movie on screen is always perfectly in sync with the audio. The movie that goes out through firewire is delayed somewhat, and when I watch both movies at once they do not match. I need the offset to work so that I can trust the sync on my firewire movie, but it appears to be dysfunctional in DP5.

Are there any tricks to make this movie offset do what it's supposed to do? It worked fine in DP4.
The Video Window and External Firewire display seem the same to me. Do you have time code burned into your video - if so, are the SMPTE times the same or different? You get this out of sync issue when you've copied the audio into your sequence and muted the movie window movie?
martian wrote: I had this issue when I upgraded from dp 5.11 to 5.12 - this is when they added streamers playing out over firewire video - i tried 5.13 but it was still there.
Is there a way to see streamers on firewire movies without using an external box like a ProCue 1m1 or the like? I thought that the overlay only worked on the video window in 5.13 but that they added a feature to 6. If there is a way to do it now can you explain? Thanks.
zaque

Post by zaque »

btw, I am using NTSC.
jborum

Post by jborum »

There problem is only with the picture, not with the audio. If you're using a firewire video device there is always a delay of a few frames, and the feature to compensate for it doesn't work like it used to. It may look generally OK, but a few frames can be enormous when scoring to picture.
martian

Post by martian »

please file a report with motu tech support..

the more reminders they get about this essential feature the better!
macpro 3 gig - 5 Gig RAM 10.6.3 Motu 2408 mk 2 Mackie HUI DP 7.21 intel imac 3 gig ram traveller OS 10.6.3

pencilina

Post by pencilina »

This really sucks- makes firewire video output now useless . I came across this problem and thread after a search. Does anyone have any sort of workaround?

Thanks

B
Latest DP, Gigabyte Designaire z390 i9 Hackintosh 32G Ram, Lucid ADA88192, RME FF800 and FF802 on M1 MPB, Ventura, and a Pencilina
jborum

Post by jborum »

I filed a tech report early on in the history of this thread, and I've gotten a miserable response from MOTU. They've made the assumption that it's a user error and that I'm doing something wrong, and asked me REALLY basic questions that were answered in my initial question to them. The end of the story is that they were no help whatsoever. The same sessions accessing the same movie do not play back properly through firewire now that I'm using 5.13 on my G5 8 core.

For now, all of us who use picture have to use the on-screen movie window until they figure out how to admit to and repair their mistake. This is a HUGE problem. Does anybody at MOTU read these threads? If so, please take note. We need this firewire playback offset to work again!
— Jeremy Borum

Composer & Orchestrator: http://www.JeremyBorum.com
Author: http://www.GuerrillaFilmScoring.com
pencilina

Post by pencilina »

bummer... I filed a "tech report" as well. Not gonna hold my breath though.
Latest DP, Gigabyte Designaire z390 i9 Hackintosh 32G Ram, Lucid ADA88192, RME FF800 and FF802 on M1 MPB, Ventura, and a Pencilina
martian

Post by martian »

the tech support guy was able to replicate my issue and admitted the problem was on their end....

if you really need to go back to 5.11 - this is before they added streamers output thru firewire - I suspect this is what broke it for me'

tech support guys always assume you are a dumbass! it's their job - hit them back - and repeat them into a corner....

please force the issue with them! otherwise I will be stuck in 5.11 for ever!!!!

btw if this isn't fixed in version 6 am I able to ask them for my upgrade cash back?