Anyone using version 5 on Intel?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
trkkazulu
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Anyone using version 5 on Intel?

Post by trkkazulu »

High,

I'm not very frequent on the forum here and wonder if anyone is using version 5 on Intel despite the hassles? I'm looking forward to version 6 and have been trying to get by with Logic Express 8. Needless to say it's less than satisfactory.

Thanks,

JPW
andrewj

Post by andrewj »

Me! I am working with it V5.0.2 or something like that. Not the newest one! And it is rocksolid to me! Had no crash so far. However, my service guys from Digital Audio Service Hamburg installed the whole system for me!
Intel MacPro, Metric Halo 2882, Waves Renaissance, Broadcast, IR-L, URS CSP Neve & Api EQs and 1970 + 1980 Compressors

Averill 1272, Ted Fletcher P10, Lexicon PCM 81 & 91, Alan Smart C2, Audient SUMO

Roland Fantom, Akai MPC 1k, Machinedrum...
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

Andrew-- what computer model are you using? Your sig says "iMac G5", but there were issues even with DP 5.11 and 5.12 on the Intel models.

I'm trying to remember-- there was 5.0, 5.01-- then there was 5.1x... Did I miss 5.02?

I haven't used DP5 much in Leopard, but most all of my work is in Tiger 10.4.11 on a MacPro 3G Quad with 5.13. There were a few strange glitches that all but shut me down in the early months, but things really have been holding steady since about October. No kernel panics since.
Last edited by Frodo on Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
matticus

Post by matticus »

Yep I'm using 5.13 on my intel macbook pro. I works great for me, but I'm really just a guitar player/song writer so I don't use it super heavily. If you have 5.12, upgrade to 5.13 and all your problems will go away!...probably
...real bits of panther, so you know it's good...
Macbook Pro 2.3Ghz
2Gb Ram
MOTU Ultralite
DP5.13
tommymandel

Post by tommymandel »

Occasional light use on a MacBookPro (Intel) and 5.13 with 10.4.11, without any noticeable problems.
DP 11.03 12core(5,1): 64GB/10.13.6, two 24i/o's, two 2408mk3's, 4pre, MicroLite-- MBP 2015 16GB/ 2TB 'Blade SSD 10.14.4, Mainstage, Numa C2x, ReMOTE SL -- SupDrmr, 32 Lives, SampleTron,Keyscape,MTronPro,RolCloud,Icarus,Dune,OB-E; Clearmountain Domain,Soundtoys,AdrenaLinnSync, LinnSequencers,Tempest, Montage, JU80, Sledge, Prophet-X, OB-6 V-Synth, s70xs, D-50, TS-10, JD800, Karma, Pa-1x B3, Wurly, Mason Hamlin.
Hardware rig: http://www.tommymandel.com/famous.html/tmrig.html"
Anders Peev

Post by Anders Peev »

I'm working on an Inteltower with 5.13. I had severe problems with 5.1 and 5.12 but it's fairly stable now. Only about 2 surprise crashes a week. But I'm probably doing something wrong that I don't know of. :cry:

Other than that it works very good. I will nerver go back to my previous DAW /

Anders :)
misterhemi

Post by misterhemi »

Hi,

I am using DP5.13 on a MacBook Pro running OS-X 10.5.2 with no serious problems.

I do have a few quirks with MIDI volume levels.

I don't use it heavily for audio, but a little sometimes, but haven't had any audio problems so far.

I use it mainly with MIDI gear and not many VI's.
Mac Book Pro (mid 2015), DP 9, MOTU 8pre, (2) MTP/AV USBs, DaveSmithInst PEK, DaveSmithInst MEM, DSI MoPho x4, DSI Tempest, Akai Z4, Ensoniq SQ80, Kawai K5, Yamaha CS6x w/AN & DX plgs, Alesis ION, Yamaha DX200, Roland R8m and R8, Yamaha DTX502, various FX, etc... Olds Ambassador, Carvin DC200, Emerald Drums & UFIP Cymbals, Wishlist: Noble-Cooley Drums, Moog Sub37, DSI Ob-6, and maybe a DSI REV2
giles117

Post by giles117 »

5.13 / 5.12 are grossly unstable for mixing.

I have tried and tried, but I wound up on Logic because of the crashing hassles.

I have done the Wipe it all clean, etc.... And still crash after crash...

Loading plugins... Crash. Just got so annoying that I went to Logic. I am PRAYING!!!!! that 6.0 will be intel stable. I am tired of Logic. Its nowhere as warm as DP.
DP 6.02
Quad 3.0 Ghz, 8.0 GB RAM, 2 - 1TB HD, 5 - 500GB HD's (RAID)
MOTU HD192, 2408mk3, Microlite, UAD-1, UAD-2, Powercore, Lavry Blue AD/DA convertor, LA-610
Euphonix MC Control

29 years in this business and counting.....Loving every minute of it.....
pounce

Post by pounce »

i haven't had that much trouble in DP, but i'm looking very forward to version 6. i'll finally be able to transition the two studio machines to 10.5 and have all my macs on the same os to help my sanity.
trkkazulu

Post by trkkazulu »

Hmmm, it looks like the 5.12 upgrade is essential. I haven't booted DP since 5.02 let me down when i upgraded to the Macbook. Perhaps i should just install the latest version 5 upgrade. I thought 6 was so close to release that i never bothered. I guess it's time to bite the bullet. Thanks for the responses.

JPW
Mr_Clifford

Post by Mr_Clifford »

trkkazulu wrote:Hmmm, it looks like the 5.12 upgrade is essential. I haven't booted DP since 5.02 let me down when i upgraded to the Macbook. Perhaps i should just install the latest version 5 upgrade. I thought 6 was so close to release that i never bothered. I guess it's time to bite the bullet. Thanks for the responses.
I'm surprised that 5.02 even opened at all considering IT DOESN'T EXIST!

Seriously though, bypass 5.12 and go straight to 5.13, or else use 5.11. But DON'T use 5.12.
DP 9.52 Mac Pro 10.14.6 RME fireface800. Sibelius. Dorico 4
trkkazulu

Post by trkkazulu »

Mr_Clifford wrote:
trkkazulu wrote:Hmmm, it looks like the 5.12 upgrade is essential. I haven't booted DP since 5.02 let me down when i upgraded to the Macbook. Perhaps i should just install the latest version 5 upgrade. I thought 6 was so close to release that i never bothered. I guess it's time to bite the bullet. Thanks for the responses.
I'm surprised that 5.02 even opened at all considering IT DOESN'T EXIST!

Seriously though, bypass 5.12 and go straight to 5.13, or else use 5.11. But DON'T use 5.12.
Sorry, i meant 5.01. I'll look into 5.13. Great forum, this one.

JPW
sdemott

Post by sdemott »

I have been using 5.13 on a MacBook Pro with very few issues. I do mostly audio and very little to no MIDI/VI.

In fact just finishing tracking a project with 21 audio tracks, 1 stereo aux, 4 mono auxes and MWEQ on most channels. All at 24/88.2. It's been great.

I did have 2 VI guide tracks enabled at the beginning of the project, but that was just to help along the tracking in the early phases.

I can't say I've really had any serious problems. An occasional annoyance, but that's par for the course with anything computer related.
-Steve
Not all who wander are lost.
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

Frodo wrote:I haven't used DP5 much in Leopard, but most all of my work is in Tiger 10.4.11 on a MacPro 3G Quad with 5.13. There were a few strange glitches that all but shut me down in the early months, but things really have been holding steady since about October. No kernel panics since.
Frodo,

What version of Quicktime are you using on that macpro?

Thanks

Regards,
DLevy
mgr, Legacy Lab
emulatorloo

Re: Anyone using version 5 on Intel?

Post by emulatorloo »

trkkazulu wrote:High,

I'm not very frequent on the forum here and wonder if anyone is using version 5 on Intel despite the hassles?
So, what are these "hassles" exactly?

I think the majority of user run 5.1x on intel just fine.

(as others have said, you need 5.13 for leopard compatibility)