One more BIG THANK YOU to MOTU!

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
monkey man
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by monkey man »

Phil O wrote:... but I've yet to see one as active and as well moderated as this one (kudos to James).
Yeah, and just as in a perfect organisation of any sort, we moderate ourselves.
Over at BBL, most folks reckon James is silly for attempting it on his own.
I've argued the point with them, and most seem to think he's doomed to failure.

They underestimate the passion we all feel for maintaining a clean, peaceful (and wacky!) house.
Of course, as with any organisation, credit must go to the head, so kudos to James, as you say Phil.
Phil O wrote:MOTU would be foolish to not have someone monitor this board on a regular basis. It just makes good business sense. I can't believe they don't already.
Phil
I have to believe they do.
Firstly, the Gods of MOTU are a clever bunch (geniuses).
Secondly, it'd be so much fun. :D

Cripes... we'd better keep up the entertainment.
Can anyone tap?
I can tap-tempo. :lol:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
tripit@earthlink.net

Post by tripit@earthlink.net »

Phil O wrote:
monkey man wrote:Again, I propose that they watch us (and weep and laugh), and that when we're unable to solve issues, they tackle 'em.
I hope I'm right, not least because it'd be efficient business practise.
There are a lot of software products that have spawned forums, but I've yet to see one as active and as well moderated as this one (kudos to James). MOTU would be foolish to not have someone monitor this board on a regular basis. It just makes good business sense. I can't believe they don't already.

Phil
Considering that MOTU has never bothered to put up their own forum, unlike just about every other audio app company, I suspect that they I do montior this one from time to time. Then again, with it not being theirs, they are also under obligation to respond or deal with anything that is brought up here either.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Incredibly, the clouds parted and I heard the Gods of MOTU speak... again!
The Gods of MOTU wrote:Nicky,

Thanks a lot for the information. I'll let you know if we come up with a way to avoid this problem.
What the... :shock:
The Gods of MOTU wrote:...If anything else comes to mind, please feel free to e-mail me again.
Whoa... :shock:

Well, there's the smoking gun; this stuff actually happens! :lol:

Timeline

Post by Timeline »

I would sure love to sit down in front of my computer with a few of their techs and software code guys.

I recommend MOTU selects about a dozen of us from Unicornation and visit us personally at out facilities or sites to acquire extremely useful user feedback on not only minor bugs but enhancements making DP the best user interface it can be.

ProTools did his and they are still number one.
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2
tripit@earthlink.net

Post by tripit@earthlink.net »

Timeline wrote:I would sure love to sit down in front of my computer with a few of their techs and software code guys.

I recommend MOTU selects about a dozen of us from Unicornation and visit us personally at out facilities or sites to acquire extremely useful user feedback on not only minor bugs but enhancements making DP the best user interface it can be.

Yes, they're called beta testers and while I've met many who beta test for Protools, I've yet to met a single DP beta tester. I've always assumed that MOTU had to have a group of beta testers and that some if not all of those would frequent this forum. But, then again you know what they say about assumptions....
dixiechicken

Post by dixiechicken »

Just my two cents...

I havent had lot of reasons to contact MOTU tech-support - and as others already have pointed out -
the support from this site and the people here - are great.

However MOTU have responded to my e-mails within 2 or at most 3 days.
With concise questions/instructions etc to help me track down my issues successfully.

As sysadmin at my work I know that it's not always easy to help other people out - even if you want to :wink:

Cheers: Dixiechicken
------
My God it's full of stars....
------
Mac Pro 6-Core Intel Nehalem/Xeon 2.93 GHz 32-GB ram, OS-X 10.13.5-Swe, DP-9.52, Unisyn-2.11, 828-MkII,MTP-AV usb, Latest drvs, Wavearts plugs, Kurzweil-2000, Proteus-2000, EPS-16, Pod-II,
Digitech RP-155, Soundcraft UI-16, Emes Kobalt monitors.
------
Paul J Forrest

Post by Paul J Forrest »

Hi Frodo; glad to hear you're still here :!:
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

Paul J Forrest wrote:Hi Frodo; glad to hear you're still here :!:
Paul!! Hey there; long time-- wow!! Welcome back!!
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

tripit@earthlink.net wrote:
Timeline wrote:I would sure love to sit down in front of my computer with a few of their techs and software code guys.

Yes, they're called beta testers and while I've met many who beta test for Protools, I've yet to met a single DP beta tester. I've always assumed that MOTU had to have a group of beta testers and that some if not all of those would frequent this forum. But, then again you know what they say about assumptions....
Funny thing, I've never met a DP beta tester, either; not in person and not online. Not that my social calendar is very extensive. It's just that it's such a small world, you'd think sooner or later someone would actually reveal themselves as a beta tester.

I WAS a beta tester for MOTU in the mid-1980's (pre-DP). Signed a non-disclosure agreement with them and everything. But after about a year I just quit hearing from them. At some point in the early 90's they had some staff turnover, and their records of my association with them apparently ceased to exist. Although they did employ most of the changes I recommended over the years, I made those recommendations on my own initiative, not as a beta-tester. Frankly, the inner workings of the company have always been a bit mysterious. If not for the MOTU-MAC dinners at NAMM, I might have wondered if their staff actually existed! At least beyond the few I regularly talked to on the phone. But they do exist, and their products have sure changed a lot of people's lives.

(for the better, of course)

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Paul J Forrest

Post by Paul J Forrest »

Thanks for your warm response Frodo, it's good to hear from you again. I••™m just looking at the score. Posts: Frodo=3838/ Posts Paul J Forrest=1. I••™ve a lot of catching up to do!
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Paul J Forrest wrote:Thanks for your warm response Frodo, it's good to hear from you again.
I believe The Shire's relocated from New Zoolander to Californication.
All his posts are pre-heated. :D
Paul J Forrest wrote:I••™m just looking at the score. Posts: Frodo=3838/ Posts Paul J Forrest=1. I••™ve a lot of catching up to do!
Firstly, it's not a score, just a measure of ones insanity. :lol:
Secondly, how'd you get to be so sane, Paul? Did you register again as a new user?
I'm assuming you met Bigfoot here some time in the future, er, past. :shock:

If this post causes distress, ignore the monkey and he'll go away.
Works every time. Almost.

Oh, yeah, welcome to our little mad-house. :wink:

PS: Never fear, the first monkey-exposure hurts the most; it's all downhill from here, if that's possible. :lol:

Paul J Forrest

Post by Paul J Forrest »

Thanks Monkey Man, you're the first person to refer to me as sane but if I where you, and incidentally I am!, I would..........oh ••••!........no!..........not more therapy?............and I was doing so well..................Hmm...........are you by any chance related to Oxygenhose, and by the way, whatever happened to him?

Regards,

Paul J Forrest. (A creative,artistic, sensitive soul who doesn••™t give a •••• what anybody thinks!)

p.s. Please stop writing to me in an Australian accent as it puts me off!
:wink:
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Paul J Forrest wrote:..are you by any chance related to Oxygenhose...
Nope. I'm just a chimp, er, chump.
O'hose, eh?
I seem to remember OS9 DP plug presets written by him/his company. :?
Paul J Forrest wrote:... and by the way, whatever happened to him?
I heard he sucked too much. :lol:
Paul J Forrest wrote:Paul J Forrest. (A creative,artistic, sensitive soul who doesn••™t give a •••• what anybody thinks!)
:lol:
Paul J Forrest wrote:p.s. Please stop writing to me in an Australian accent as it puts me off! :wink:
Sorry. Whether it's about the cricket, the football world cup result, the swimming, the tennis, Olympic and Commonwealth Games medal tallies, the rugby (both codes) or tiddlywinks, you'll get over it. :lol:
Don't stain yer brains, mate; she's apples.
You just gotta keep your pork pies on the fries, yer nanger.
Anyway, bludger, it's like I was tellin' ya; don't get yer knickers in a knot.
Keep yer hair on, and 'ave another pot on the house.
Fair dinkum, you poms are a bunch o' pussies. :shock:

There. It's all uphill from here in.
Or was that downhill?
Which way up are we, Paulus; I've lost my bare ring? :shock:
Paul J Forrest wrote:Regards...
Rear guards, eh?
Who you callin' camp? Remember, you're me, but I'm not you.
Anything I can't do, you can do better. :lol:

Seeing as you're here (did you ever leave?), you might as well come in.
I made two for tea, baked bisiness cutts, and taped your favourite show.
Monkey hands the Papal one a video cassette bound in duck ape. :shock:

I was afraid the Gods of MOTU would never let me out of here.
Great to have some company in solitary, Paul. :wink:
Last edited by monkey man on Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

iMAS

Post by iMAS »

I got an email from motu tech last week regarding some posts I've made here. At least it goes to show they do check this forum every now and then.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Phil O wrote:MOTU would be foolish to not have someone monitor this board on a regular basis. It just makes good business sense. I can't believe they don't already.
Phil
As others have mentioned, there are people who monitor this list, and doubtless Big Blue and anybody else who has a DP forum. I have stated previously that it would be absurd for them not to. And as you and others have pointed out, it's curious they don't host their own support forums, like their competitors and counterparts do.

I do thank MOTU for putting out a product that inspired me to buy a Mac in the first place in 1985. Their Tech Support, like many companies of longstanding, has it's ups and downs, with periods of stellar performance to MIA. I've had mostly good results emailing, as opposed to phone calling.

But also, if anybody deserves the big thanks, it's James for doing the work for MOTU, and moderating this forum with civility and decency (not to mention passion). And Shooshie and Frodo and a handful of others for their/your detailed replies to problems, and their willingness to stick with an issue until it's resolved or determined to be unsolveable... the stickies they created... their omnipresence here... Thanks, guys.
recording: Mac Mini 2018 - 32GB RAM - 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 - two Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 - OS 12.7.5 - DP 11.23
mixing: MacPro7,1 - 256GB RAM - 2.7 GHz 24-Core Intel Xeon W - Focusrite Scarlett Solo - OS 13.6.7 - DP 11.23
Both computers: Kontakt Komplete 13 VIs and effects. Effects: FabFilter, Sonnox, SSL, PSP, UA, Valhalla, Baby, AIXDSP, Relab, Sonible. VIs: KV331, Cherry, Arturia, AIR Tech, GForce, AAS, East-West, Garritan, Best Service, Kilohearts, Brainworx, UA, Plug-In Alliance