Graphic Card Update!! WOW!!

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

Frodo
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Graphic Card Update!! WOW!!

Post by Frodo »

Hey folks:

FYI: I've got a G5 2.5 Dual PPC and some time ago I was having a lot of trouble with graphics-- slow redraws, quilting (screen pixelation), etc.

My tower came with the NVIDIA G-Force 5200, and I had no idea what an albatross it was until I popped in a Radeon X-800 XT about a half hour ago.

Does it make a difference? Hoooo-yeah!!

The first thing I noticed was that my 23" Cinema was a LOT brighter and sharper. The second thing I noticed was that the screen redraws are tons faster. At first I was leary about tossing too much more cash at my G5, but it feels like I've got a whole new computer.

No more dizzy wiper in SE while zoomed in...

No more long waiting for fades to redraw...

No more worries about having too many windows open at once, although some frugality is still necessary for the sake of the CPU.

The X800 itself may not be in everyone's best interest....Still, a better-than-stock graphics card is one of the best upgrades you make to jumpstart your old PPC.

Just to show you the benchmark differences between the GF5200 and the Radeon XT800:

6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

I put a 9800 pro in mine so I could run motion and every thing draws faster now.
Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
, kelsey and Yamaha mixers, Rack of gear. Guitars, piano, PA and more stuff.
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

Hiya, T!! :)

It's wonderful, isn't it? I can't believe the difference. I just wish I hand't waited so long to make the jump. It was money well spent.
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52